Sign in to follow this  
mimjed

would you take it?

somebody thought instead of using their brakes, the back of my old mans car would do instead.

this in turn shoved him into a stationary car infront to, so as you can imagine he wasnt best impressed.

the chap who did it offered to pay cash for the damage and few hundred extra for not going through the insurance.

the old boy turned him down and rang the insurance anyway.

i think i would have taken the cash offer, just wondering what others would do in the same situation???

depends on the damage i would say, but if both front and back end are damaged it would prob go down the insurance route

should have explained damage a little better.

his back bumper and boot took a beating. only a little chip out of the front bumper and a few scrapes of paint. the car infront had a few paint scrapes on the rear bumper and it deformed a little. (she took the cash offer).

still not sure. depends on car then and how much to get it fixed. when some one hit me and wanted to pay cash i went to the most expensive body shop i could find got a quote on paper. got paid. then got it done somewhere cheaper instead.

good work, might them to watch the road after that.

its a 54 plate mazda premacy tdi woth low miles, hes only really got the hump on because it was being traded in for a new motor.

If you get hit, you claim off the car/driver that hit you, regardless of cause/fault.

So the guy infront, will claim of his dad...

in turn... his dads insurance will claim those costs, and repair costs to his own car, off the insurance of the guy who hit him.

In a big rear ender where say 5 cars all get bumped... the front car (1) claims of the car behind (2), which claims the cost to repair 1 & 2 off car 3. Car 3 claims those costs off car 4, then car 5 eventually is liable for the COSTS of all the cars damaged, but not liable for the repair, only the reclaimed costs.

At least that's what I understand of it all

If he'd just hit you... and not too hard either...

If it was me in that situation, I'd get all his details etc, then I'd consider taking the money... but I'd get a quote from a main repair centre first... get them to pay that... then I'd go to another bodyshop my friend owns and pay a lot less for the repairs, keep the rest on top.

If my car went into another one though, there's more than just the two parties involved, so I'd take it through insurance. Also if it was a bigger crash, where there is potential for the car to be written off, or potential for injury, then go through insurance too. Don't think you'd get compensation if you didn't go through insurance

if he's trading it then wouldnt bother with insurance. get a high quote. if the guy aint happy tell him to "i'll go through insurance then". should the get the cash. got it bodged. trade it in.

christ, i hope i maintain my non crashing habit. sounds like a real ball ache.

:lol: si remind me never to buy anything off you.

he rang his insurance straight away as apparantly its very hard to get it viewed as not being your fault if you ring second.

:lol: si remind me never to buy anything off you.

how rude! this is just this situation of course, im not the sort of boge it and scarpa type of of guy. :)

its going to a dealer who eventually is gonna rip some one else of anyway!

usually i would just go through insurance, much easier and less chance you will get screwed over by someone "claiming" they will pay you cash

i hate this about this country and insurance companies, we pay through the noses for insurance we hardly use, then when people crash they are "better off" forking out themselves for repair bills, because its costs more in insurance. wtf is the insurance for?

No kev thankfully its just a crash, cash was offered to repair to avoind going through insurance