Ralphead

They're called "drop links" for a reason

Having rebuilt my front suspension I was so pleased with myself I celebrated by changing the auxillary belts.

Whilst crawling around in the wet I noticed the anti-roll bar looking vunerable, right down near the ground.

Yes I'd put the arb to wishbone links underneath the wishbones not on top as they should be, dumbass.

That was so much fun to put right that I congratulated myself by losing the brake compensator valve spring...

I can go one better than that! Yesterday, as I completed my front suspension overhall I notice something similar, just the ARBs to connect up to the wishbones. Now, I know the ARB doesn't go under the wishbone but if I position it above the wishbone the ARB fouls the CV Gaiter. Hmmmm, what's going on here then.....I'd put the wishbones on the wrong sides of the car, the only thing that identifies which one is which is whether the ARB lug points up or down, mine were pointing up, needless to say 2 hours later after much swearing/cursing its all in right now! I can't believe there's nothing else to identify left/right. You live and learn!

Luckily I took a lot of photos when I took my car apart, so I was able to zoom in on the front suspension set up to work out which wishbone should go where!

Cheers for saying about these issues you've had guys, be something to look out for when I overhaul the suspension. Knowing me I'll still be able to do something daft!

I'm pretty sure the wishbones aren't 'sided' ? :scratch:

Neil.

Can't speak for other models but on a VR6 they are, you can't connect the anti roll bar if the wishbones are the wrong way round.

I can go one better than that! Yesterday, as I completed my front suspension overhall I notice something similar, just the ARBs to connect up to the wishbones. Now, I know the ARB doesn't go under the wishbone but if I position it above the wishbone the ARB fouls the CV Gaiter. Hmmmm, what's going on here then.....I'd put the wishbones on the wrong sides of the car, the only thing that identifies which one is which is whether the ARB lug points up or down, mine were pointing up, needless to say 2 hours later after much swearing/cursing its all in right now! I can't believe there's nothing else to identify left/right. You live and learn!

I wonder.....

Think I might have done this as well. No engine in at the moment but noticed that the ARB fouls on the wishbone itself, I bet that's what I've done! Thanks for the info!

The wishbones on the VR6 (plus axle) are sided. Removed mine today along with the ARB to change all the bushes. The ARB droplinks on the VR6 attach to the underside of the wishbone with a nut and bolt so you need to make sure the tab on the wishbone is pointing to the ground.

The part numbers are also stamped on the wishbones.

Left 1H0 407 151 A (VR6)

Right 1H0 407 152 (VR6)

All other corrados (standard Axle) use one wishbone (191 407 151 B) that can be fitted to both sides and the droplinks attach to the top of the wishbone with the bolt securing it from underneath. The droplinks often snap when the bolt is romoved.

The ARB if removed can only be reinstalled one way otherwise it will foul the wishbones. the central bend in the wishbone needs to be pointing towards the ground when fitted.

Hope this helps.

The wishbones on the VR6 (plus axle) are sided. Removed mine today along with the ARB to change all the bushes. The ARB droplinks on the VR6 attach to the underside of the wishbone with a nut and bolt so you need to make sure the tab on the wishbone is pointing to the ground.

The part numbers are also stamped on the wishbones.

Left 1H0 407 151 A (VR6)

Right 1H0 407 152 (VR6)

All other corrados (standard Axle) use one wishbone (191 407 151 B) that can be fitted to both sides and the droplinks attach to the top of the wishbone with the bolt securing it from underneath. The droplinks often snap when the bolt is romoved.

The ARB if removed can only be reinstalled one way otherwise it will foul the wishbones. the central bend in the wishbone needs to be pointing towards the ground when fitted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the info. From memory the wishbones are on the correct sides as I'm sure the tabs are pointing to the ground. The central bend IS definitely pointing to the ground though which is now making me worry. I remember fitting it this way as I thought the exhaust downpipes would use that cutout shape. I have used aftermarket wishbones and new droplinks. Could it just be that there isn't enough weight on the front of the car (no engine)?

Thanks

Jim

i was going to suggest that, it might be because the car isn't sat on its wheels and the wishbones will be hanging down..

don't take my word for it though

my os drop link catches the arb i think its due to the car being low.its also touches the cv boot when its jacked up