Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Sunroof...

kevhaywire, you mention roof support straps, what are they?

Strengthening beams that span the roof width to support the roof skin. There's one behind the sunroof aperture. The height between the sunroof panel and this support strap is critical. Any slack in the cable guide mechs (vertical movement) can cause the sunroof to rub on the support strap, which gouges the paintwork :x

When the roof is tilted, try and move it up and down. If there's any slack, I personally wouldn't chance a full slide until it's sorted!

Interesting you talk of a new subframe

That's because I repaired the roof last summer with new cable guides (one of mine had sheared) and the new ones are just too stiff in the runners. Plus I have play too. The whole lot is just knackered. I'm not going to faff about with single component break-fixes anymore, hence opting for a complete assembly.....and start again.

rubber end is causing me grief as I need thicker rubber to stop it lifting too high. Anyone got anything or can recommend something to put that's thicker and WILL stay in place?

I superglued some old central locking black rubber hose on the ends of mine. Much larger diameter, but still permits the rockers to drop into their detents.

K

Well garage is all done! Cost me just under £100 in parts (repair kit, and then another part which had broken) and then £125 labour - considering the amount of time they had the car, thats not bad.

So i'm happy with the car again........ for now!! :)

So the roof is all working nicely now then?

Good to hear :lol:

Shame mine didn't want to know after doing the same :mad:

K

Yeah - I did tilt and slide and all seems to be working great.

The mechanic did a good job - even took to all the other headlining trim with a can of upholstary cleaner! He said it might take a little bit of time for the sunroof to totally grease itself all up, but I couldn't see any problems with it. Smooth motion, no clicks or snaps or anything nasty.

Yeah - I did tilt and slide and all seems to be working great.

The mechanic did a good job - even took to all the other headlining trim with a can of upholstary cleaner! He said it might take a little bit of time for the sunroof to totally grease itself all up, but I couldn't see any problems with it. Smooth motion, no clicks or snaps or anything nasty.

Good to hear Jim, glad to hear that your honeymoon period with the new car is back on track (pun intended? ) ;-) :lol:

Hi,

Does anyone know the parts numbers for the passat moonroof? subframe etc?

Might have sorted one for cheap from a breakers and I just want to be sure it'll fit :roll:

the whole thing is one part... It needs to be out of a 93 to 96 passat which should be the only one that have a moon roof. (earlier ones were steel) Visually it's identical to the Corrado's mechanism except for the fact it's glass and the interior cover is different... 8)

Can't help with part numbers though, my car's off the road (again! :roll: ) so I can't look at it at the moment... and even then, the part numbers are stamped into the frame work/mechanism so are hidden by the roof lining... :?

Oh, and I've heard a rumour that the ones out of the estate versions of the Passat are slightly flatter and so fit the Corrado better, although I've not been able to confirm this yet... :|

Managed to get it sorted...thanks!

Apparently its one from an estate and all!! Thought it would have been the exact same type of roof in an estate and the saloon though?

Do the Passat roofs last longer than the C mechanism then?

This is the kind of thing I'd really like to get. The interior of the C is really dark and uninviting (black with black leather!), and it would really benefit from a suitably tinted glass roof (with a blind for those few days when the sun is strong enough to warrant it!).

I've not heard of a Passat roof failing, and the mechanism is slightly different inside... 8)

To be honest, the roof I got was cheaper than farting around fixing one of the 2 that I already had and getting them sanded and re-painted, so I don't really care how long it lasts... ;) but from what I can see, I think that they should last a fair bit longer than the original steel roof... 8)

Oh, and I'd also put it way up top on my list of favourite mods I've done now that the car is finished... It makes SUCH a difference to the interior it's untrue! :D 8)

The bits that break on the passat roof are the same as those on the Corrado unfortunately.

Shall I post a picture of my extensive collection? :D

A few other points having skimmed this thread:

New cables have to be greased thoroughly before installing them or they will be very stiff;

If the cable broke, the "Water Guide Plate" on which the "Locking Segment" mounts will need replacing as well - it's what caused the cable to break;

The roof mechanism need regular lubrication.

If anyone want more info on what breaks, why, and how to fix it - PM me.