Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

What does it owe you in total or did you not bother counting?

I don't bother counting mate. If I did I'd be too scared to drive it again.....

What's insurance like on it too (compared to for a standard VR)

I wouldn't be surprised if to see it a supercharged-turbo someday :lol:

i thought this was compound charging, i may be wrong however :S

Mic - thanks chap. I think my car looked best on the Rotas too if I'm honest :D

Not too late to steal them back off Rob though :norty:

Looking forward to more info on your 24V T, being as I will some day being doing the same :wink:

Still think it looks good on the Comps, but there was something about those Rota's that just suited your car.

And for 24vT action. Keep your eyes open in the run up to christmas. Got a few issues still to sort on the 24v install and I've got to fit my new brakes/wheels to clear them, plus I'd like to put another 500 miles of trouble free motoring on the new engine just to make sure it's all good.

Then it's Turbo time! Finally! :lol:

I'll be picking your brain no doubt so you'll know when it's all going in.

looks really good in this pic i think. Wheels really suit it 8)

Img_0041.jpg

am i correct in saying you use this as a daily drive too?

looks really good in this pic i think. Wheels really suit it 8)

Img_0041.jpg

am i correct in saying you use this as a daily drive too?

Those are the speedlines i want!

Agreed! Love the Vento Cups- think they're just about my fav wheels on the Corrado. It's finding some that's the prob :( The MOs are very, very nice too though.

As Jim said- love the techie stuff too (just no budget to do it myself), so keep it coming! 8)

What an awesome selection of pictures. I too an far more interested in the technical aspect of your build than the aesthetic side of it, although it looks like you look after the bodywork almost as well as the mechanicals :)

I really like the interior, while it might be full of gauges it doesn't look bodged or busy, just purposeful.

Hats off to you for an amazing build, I'm sure with the T/C you'll be able to make even more use of the available torque. Nice curve too :lol: It's interesting to see that you're still running standard CV's and shafts, do you find the outer CV's suffer due to the extra torque? I only ask because I built a hybrid Mini (Vauxhall-engined) with three times the intended power and torque and the outer CV's would last about 5000 miles before starting to grumble.

Tom

very nice kev. as said i would read post by post of the shit you have done to this car! im well into it but my budget doesnt allow usually! lol

Interested to know what it was like NA with the short runner. Was it low comp as well? I considered doing that when my turbo went and probably will if it goes again.

Also interested to know about CV and driveshaft longevity.

Interested to know what it was like NA with the short runner. Was it low comp as well? I considered doing that when my turbo went and probably will if it goes again.

Also interested to know about CV and driveshaft longevity.

I've driven mine low comp and short runner, plenty drivable but you just don't get that top end kick you do with the standard manifold/compression. Torque curve feels very flat and doesn't build quite like standard.

I would have kept the 16" speedlines if I was able to fit decent size brakes behind them!

Gearbox and driveshafts are the originals, which are almost 200K old now.

The box had it's bearings and syncro rings replaced 5 or 6 years ago when the Quaife was fitted, but that's it. No strengthened gear sets or anything :D.

All 4 CVs were replaced with GKN jobbies from GSF round about the same time too. As yet, none of it is showing any sign of being troubled by turbo torque.

I'm either just lucky or the VAG kit is just bloody strong :D

There is also the small matter of turbo sizing, not getting greedy with the power and showing some mechanical sympathy :wink:

With the short runner, that was standard 10:1 Compression, standard cams and standard OBD2 management. It was converted to OBD2 during the Supercharger stages and after taking the charger off, I just left the Schimmel intake in place and moved the MAF over. It was like that for a month or so whilst I ordered the turbo stuff over from the Schimmeliser. It drove great. No loss of torque at all and pulled hard at the top end. Obviously the standard induction note was lost, but instead it had a more intense, guttural roar. I really liked it.

I wish I put some cams on it and remapped it, it would have been quite special I reckon!

I'm surprised your standard CVs and shafts have held up this long. Are you fairly careful with your gear changes, Kev?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

about time you finally got round to sorting a build thread out!!!

would be very interested to see some more "mechanical" pics rather than the overall ones (you just want to show off how many wheels you've had while iving out your obsession! :lol:)

on a more serious note, it really does look nice and it's been great to hear about how its come on with the various "teething" issues over the 45k or so you've been running it for now.

also loving the gauges and traction control setup, if it was me though i would get rid of the gauges where the ashtray used to be and relocate them in an OEM gauge pod that drops into the bottom cubby hole (though they are getting like hens teeth to find now), then move the DTA unit (which is uber-cool by the way!) down where the ashtray was.

i couldn't live without a stereo for that long - i'm as much of a petrolhead as the next man, but listening to engine and only engine for that long would drive me loopy!

loving it anyway Kev - cheers for sharing (finally!) :-D

After reading your posts regarding how good the standard set up was with the Schimmel intake, I did some research on them. They seem to be a great £ for £ modification as they improve the idle & increase the VR torque curve consistantly throughout the range & can increase power upto 221bhp. Then I noticed that you arranged a GB for these around April/May this year. Wish I'd of seen that as I would definitly have had myself a set of these. My car was off the road for a few years & I just got it back on June this year. I hadn't been looking at anything Corrado related in this time either so I guess it just wasn't to be... maybe next time

Do you mean the Schimmel cams Dan? Yeah they're brilliant :D

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm in the same boat with money & mods, it costs a lot more to upgrade the engine than to do little cosmetic bits. I'm at a stage now though that there's no more cosmetic things to do. I have the wheels I wanted & colour coded almost everything :lol:

Only things to do next is engine tuning, again due to costs I was seriously considering supercharging. But I'm now thinking it may be worth saving a little longer and going for a turbo. That's why I liked these cams because they can be fitted to a standard VR to give good results on a budget & even better will complement any future turbo upgrade.

You VRT guys were sort of guinea pigs in that you had to deal with all the problems in getting matching parts to do the best job. Would you say that the setup you have now is the best way to go?

about time kev, the thing i realy like about this car is you have no clue that its packing 400bhp even when its started you have no real clue what is lurking under the bonnet as its just so damn smooth, the brakes give you a clue that all is not standard but they are not painted a nasty red/yellow so they even look standard if you dont know anything about brakes.

a true credit to you mate, hope you never sell it

karl (just about to go for a wrist work out)

But I'm now thinking it may be worth saving a little longer and going for a turbo.

Definitely mate. So much more responsive and loads torquier :D It's hard to describe but a VR6 Turbo just works so well in a Corrado. It's almost like the two were made for each other. The VRT's character, noises and power delivery are totally 90s and suit the Rado perfectly :D

Would you say that the setup you have now is the best way to go?

Yeah I love the current setup. There's always room for improvement though and it does have a few very minor niggles, but nothing that detracts from the driving experience. Just my own fussiness!

about time kev, the thing i realy like about this car is you have no clue that its packing 400bhp even when its started you have no real clue what is lurking under the bonnet as its just so damn smooth, the brakes give you a clue that all is not standard but they are not painted a nasty red/yellow so they even look standard if you dont know anything about brakes.

a true credit to you mate, hope you never sell it

karl (just about to go for a wrist work out)

Cheers Karl. It has turned out exactly how I hoped it would. Quick and discreet :D I've always favoured BMW's and Audi's approach to their powerful cars. Iron fist in a velvet glove 8)

Speaking of gloves and fisting, enjoy your surfing chap :wink: