Sign in to follow this  
TheWizardofOdds

One less Storm on the roads?

I had an accident 3 days ago about half three am in severe ice and snow conditions on the way to work. Approaching a relatively gentle left hand bend and the back end lost grip and the car went 360 degrees hit a fence, hedge and wall. You wouldn't think the car has been off the road to look at it but on closer inspection underneath where the splitter(?) is, there's a fair bit of damage with the metal pushed right back, the steering is very heavy to maneuver left or right. Luckily I had my seat belt on and am OK but got a fright as the car went in to the opposite side where the oncoming traffic, which is usually heavy goods, wouldn't have seen me until the very last minute.

I know we all have a go at times about the build quality of these cars but the front end took a hell of a lot of punishment and there isn't a scratch at the bonnet etc. where other cars might well have crumpled.

The insurance company are collecting the car today, although they haven't inspected it yet it looks like it's odds on to be a write off.

I take it they'll offer me a desultory sum if this goes to settlement? 119k on the clock with the car not exactly in showroom condition. :(

Hopefully it's just bumper, rad support panel etc. The power steering cooler is in this area so you might have crushed it resulting in the heavy steering. Get some pics of the damage up, & good luck!

dont let them take the car away until they have offered you a settlement figure.. its still your car, if they want to inspect it, they can send someone round.

Not nice to hear mate......but at least your ok......good luck getting it sorted.......or buy it back at a cheap price ?

If you can get pics, will give us an idea how bad it might be.

I've fixed things that looked awful, but actually were not. The main thing to find out is if the chassis legs are bent. If they are, it's going to be tricky tho. If not, it's all like a big mecano set.

Where are you in Scotland? I'll be bored between Xmas and New Year anyway, so could lend a hand if not too far :)

Doesn't sound too bad as everything at the front is replacable and unbolts, but have a look under the airbox and battery. If these chassis legs are buckled, forget it. Take the money and run!

dont let them take the car away until they have offered you a settlement figure.. its still your car, if they want to inspect it, they can send someone round.

THIS!

My insurance company took my G60 away from the recovery garage and by the time I told them where to go with their offer of £300 they had taken it to Surrey or somewhere! Then had the cheek to try and get ME to pay the charges to get it delivered back to me. :censored:

Got it sorted in the end but cannot stress enough to not let your insurance company take your car until you have come to an agreement.

Also sorry to hear about your accident, really hope its not a write off! Even if it is you'll probably be worth buying it back and breaking/repairing it.

Indeed dont let them take it away! I kept mine at home recently as i knew they would also charge silly amounts for storing it somewhere.

Keep it at home if its not in the way and as it still has an MOT will even be ok to park on the road if thats what you need to do.

Good Luck and get ready to dig your heals in :|

Once again, thanks all for the input.

The car was supposed to be taken away today but no sign of the salvage firm. I had a Punto (Thanks) courtesy car delivered and have it for 21 days, I really need this to be dealt with rapidly as I live 21 miles from my work place and work shifts so I don't think I have an option with keeping the car until an evaluation is made as that could really drag on.

By the way, they say that the car is a write off due to it's age. They don't even need to see the damage to state this. I mentioned that the repair might only be £500 so why would they give me a settlement sum far in excess of that? Can't remember what the call handler said but it made me think, might they get a hand from the government in some way with this? It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

The call handler asked if I would be interested in buying the car back. I said that as I'm not a mechanic I can't assess the damage and make that call myself and my mechanic is some distance away. Hmm...

So, in a nutshell, I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Although my car is showing every single day of it's fifteen years it really saddens me to think this could be it. It's my schitt heap and I like it that way, it's never let me down and it still looks great dog-eared, battle scarred and filthy.

What would the insurance company do, do you think if I refused collection before an offer is made?

I'll try and get pics up tomorrow if possible.

How will I know if chassis legs are bent? Stupid I know, but where exactly are they situated? There's a fair amount of bent stuff under there.

The insurance company base their offer on condition etc. and Glass's guide, anyone know the approx. valuation Glass estimate?

If you can get pics, will give us an idea how bad it might be.

I've fixed things that looked awful, but actually were not. The main thing to find out is if the chassis legs are bent. If they are, it's going to be tricky tho. If not, it's all like a big mecano set.

Where are you in Scotland? I'll be bored between Xmas and New Year anyway, so could lend a hand if not too far :)

I think I might be too far for you jamiehamy, I'm in Moffat. I appreciate the offer, though. Thank you.

Doesn't sound too bad as everything at the front is replacable and unbolts, but have a look under the airbox and battery. If these chassis legs are buckled, forget it. Take the money and run!

Ah, OK. That's where lies the chassis legs then. Cheers.

They cant refuse letting you keep hold of the car. there have been stories of people having there cars left at salvage for assesment and parts taken from them before settlement is made.. you could get your car back with bits missing!

cars will be generally written off if repair value exceeds 60% of market value. £600 repair bill on a £1000 car.

Find cars advertised similar to yours and email printouts to your insco.. this will determine true market value. Glasses guide price now for any corrado will be under £500 so not of any relevance to true market value.

if they offer you a cash settlement you're happy with and the chance to buy the car back, find out the price. if you dont want it, you'd be able to sell it on. I'm the other end of but would still buy it at a profit to you.

they cant refuse you a courtesy car because of your refusal to let it go to them for assessment if you have one as part of your policy. You'll be fine for getting to work, just putting miles on someone elses car - bonus! I refused a vauxhall as a courtesy car when mine was damaged, said i'll only accept another VW as like for like.. I got a brand new passat registered for me! :lol:

Hold out, await a better offer and then hold out again. Do not let them convince you you're driving an old sh!tter. Post anything they come back with here straight away and get feedback.. you're not on your own.

They cant refuse letting you keep hold of the car. there have been stories of people having there cars left at salvage for assesment and parts taken from them before settlement is made.. you could get your car back with bits missing!

cars will be generally written off if repair value exceeds 60% of market value. £600 repair bill on a £1000 car.

Find cars advertised similar to yours and email printouts to your insco.. this will determine true market value. Glasses guide price now for any corrado will be under £500 so not of any relevance to true market value.

if they offer you a cash settlement you're happy with and the chance to buy the car back, find out the price. if you dont want it, you'd be able to sell it on. I'm the other end of but would still buy it at a profit to you.

they cant refuse you a courtesy car because of your refusal to let it go to them for assessment if you have one as part of your policy. You'll be fine for getting to work, just putting miles on someone elses car - bonus! I refused a vauxhall as a courtesy car when mine was damaged, said i'll only accept another VW as like for like.. I got a brand new passat registered for me! :lol:

Hold out, await a better offer and then hold out again. Do not let them convince you you're driving an old sh!tter. Post anything they come back with here straight away and get feedback.. you're not on your own.

Thanks bristolbaron, I don't want the car scrapped, I don't think it's necessary. I'm no mechanic but surely it's not scrap. Cheers.

Well, the dick that works for the salvage firm has taken the car. I asked what would happen to it, he was extremely rude and unhelpful so I called the company and they say it will be stored until a decision is made either way.

I've posted all the necessary paperwork to the insurance company along with Autotrader ads etc. So I'll have to just wait and see what happens now.I probably won't hear back until the new year.

The salvage firm is in England, :lol: . Quality. So if I do decide to buy the car back, will they tell me what is required to fix the car or will they just tell me the car is a write off and which category?

If I accept a settlement and buy from the salvage, what are the salvage likely to charge me? Even if I find a buyer locally will they still charge for transportation? The car is drivable. Just. That would be to prevent the car being scrapped, going to someone on here. I had a look and to me it looks as if the wheel arch lining which has buckled on both sides (Front) might be restricting movement. The metal where the splitter is, is all pushed back and as I said the steering is labored from side to side.

Thanks.

If they write it off and they will want to by the way, they will give it a cat C or D and you then snd your MOT cert to get updated with this. they will offer you a settlement figure and out of that comes salvage which seems to be around 15% of the total cost, they will then offer you a cheque for the remainder and you then get the car fixed and re mot'd after the repair.

Trouble is now your car has gone into storage so that also comes out f the final costs to you, which will be a lot as they will hike the price up. this will not help at all with the figure you recieve at the end of it all.

Also advise them to get an assessor out to examine the car and put a cost to repair it on the car. this could be what writes it off as if it's more than they value it they will just offer you a low book price etc.

Had all this very recently with my Nugget and its still ongoing although it is going to be repaired at a cost of around 3.5k but as i have an agreed value for 4k this was the saving grace.

Cant recomend agreed value policcies enough.

Good luck.

Insurance nearly wrote mine off after a small accident. Damage came to £2600 in parts from VAG. Lights, bumper, wing, bonnet, slam panel, grill, a few other bits, plus labour. The bodyshop knocked the estimate to £2500 and tehy didnt write it off! The assessor didnt even see the car.

Couldnt quite believe that this is a near write off!!

DSCF3147.jpg

This scared the hell out of me! Will def be getting agreed value in the future.

Hope your situation ends up happy all round.

Well, the dick that works for the salvage firm has taken the car. I asked what would happen to it, he was extremely rude and unhelpful so I called the company and they say it will be stored until a decision is made either way.

I've posted all the necessary paperwork to the insurance company along with Autotrader ads etc. So I'll have to just wait and see what happens now.I probably won't hear back until the new year.

The salvage firm is in England, :lol: . Quality. So if I do decide to buy the car back, will they tell me what is required to fix the car or will they just tell me the car is a write off and which category?

If I accept a settlement and buy from the salvage, what are the salvage likely to charge me? Even if I find a buyer locally will they still charge for transportation? The car is drivable. Just. That would be to prevent the car being scrapped, going to someone on here. I had a look and to me it looks as if the wheel arch lining which has buckled on both sides (Front) might be restricting movement. The metal where the splitter is, is all pushed back and as I said the steering is labored from side to side.

Thanks.

Ah man, i cant believe you let them take the car. They'll give you a minimum payment and you wont see it again without paying a fortune.

If they write it off and they will want to by the way, they will give it a cat C or D and you then snd your MOT cert to get updated with this. they will offer you a settlement figure and out of that comes salvage which seems to be around 15% of the total cost, they will then offer you a cheque for the remainder and you then get the car fixed and re mot'd after the repair.

Trouble is now your car has gone into storage so that also comes out f the final costs to you, which will be a lot as they will hike the price up. this will not help at all with the figure you recieve at the end of it all.

Also advise them to get an assessor out to examine the car and put a cost to repair it on the car. this could be what writes it off as if it's more than they value it they will just offer you a low book price etc.

Had all this very recently with my Nugget and its still ongoing although it is going to be repaired at a cost of around 3.5k but as i have an agreed value for 4k this was the saving grace.

Cant recomend agreed value policcies enough.

Good luck.

Thanks KIPVW. Glad you got yours sorted, seems like a good result, your Nugget must've been in great nick.

It's hard to get good money for a Corrado these days.

Insurance nearly wrote mine off after a small accident. Damage came to £2600 in parts from VAG. Lights, bumper, wing, bonnet, slam panel, grill, a few other bits, plus labour. The bodyshop knocked the estimate to £2500 and tehy didnt write it off! The assessor didnt even see the car.

Couldnt quite believe that this is a near write off!!

This scared the hell out of me! Will def be getting agreed value in the future.

Hope your situation ends up happy all round.

Cheers, dub envy. £2600? Christ, you wouldn't think so to look at it. I know that's labour too, VAG prices eh?

...Ah man, i cant believe you let them take the car. They'll give you a minimum payment and you wont see it again without paying a fortune.

I know. I've been under a fair bit of pressure from the trouble and strife to get this resolved and I think that played a part in letting them take it. I'm about to learn a hard lesson by the looks of it.

Now, where can I get a nice Rover 200 from?..

They've written it off. The initial quote to fix the accident damage was £1500, then a ramp and VW parts prices hiked that to £2400. I was offered the car and £900. Ehm...no. :nono:

The advice I received to not let the car be taken away was spot on. At the time I didn't want to make things difficult for myself as I needed back on the road ASAP but the insurance company file handler made a cant of it and the car was taken to salvage first rather than the 'independent' ( :lol: ) engineer it should have been. This has caused an absolute fcuk up of almighty proportions. It is now 32 days since the accident and still I haven't received an offer to replace the Storm, this is due entirely to the ineptitude/ennui/irresponsibility of the insurance company.

I should be, :lol: , :cuckoo: , receiving an offer tomorrow. I just know it's going to be derisory. It will be very difficult to replace the Corrado if the current market is anything to go by, and I need to get something quickly as the Corrado was my daily. Damn, dealing with insurance companies drains the life out of you. :lol:

I've had ideas of 4motions, Boras, Passats, Leons, but I don't think I could drive one of these. The idea of driving an everyman car after 6+ years of Corrado ownership is unthinkable. :pale:

They've written it off. The initial quote to fix the accident damage was £1500, then a ramp and VW parts prices hiked that to £2400. I was offered the car and £900. Ehm...no. :nono:

The advice I received to not let the car be taken away was spot on. At the time I didn't want to make things difficult for myself as I needed back on the road ASAP but the insurance company file handler made a cant of it and the car was taken to salvage first rather than the 'independent' ( :lol: ) engineer it should have been. This has caused an absolute fcuk up of almighty proportions. It is now 32 days since the accident and still I haven't received an offer to replace the Storm, this is due entirely to the ineptitude/ennui/irresponsibility of the insurance company.

I should be, :lol: , :cuckoo: , receiving an offer tomorrow. I just know it's going to be derisory. It will be very difficult to replace the Corrado if the current market is anything to go by, and I need to get something quickly as the Corrado was my daily. Damn, dealing with insurance companies drains the life out of you. :lol:

I've had ideas of 4motions, Boras, Passats, Leons, but I don't think I could drive one of these. The idea of driving an everyman car after 6+ years of Corrado ownership is unthinkable. :pale:

It's a real shame how you've been treated matey. Perhaps if you're able to keep it you will get some of your own spanner time in and learn how things work? I did all that back when I was 18 because I refused to pay some eejit £40 an hour to scratch his head and flick through a Haynes manual.

I'm sure if you put out some threads about parts wanted, you may be able to get your car sorted quickly and cheaply with VAG parts, although being a daily might be a bit of a problem.

Either way, best of luck.

Mine's ready to go if you want!

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=100037

I feel for you mate, sometimes it just feels like life is against you doesn't it! Chin up, hope it gets sorted.

Thanks. I've been looking at yours on the sale thread, what a beauty. At the moment I'm not in a position to take it, but it's a hell of a lot of car for the money. Good luck with the sale, it won't hang around long.

It's a real shame how you've been treated matey. Perhaps if you're able to keep it you will get some of your own spanner time in and learn how things work? I did all that back when I was 18 because I refused to pay some eejit £40 an hour to scratch his head and flick through a Haynes manual.

I'm sure if you put out some threads about parts wanted, you may be able to get your car sorted quickly and cheaply with VAG parts, although being a daily might be a bit of a problem.

Either way, best of luck.

Cheers mate. That's really what I want, to learn how to repair / service/ mod myself. Unfortunately I've neither the time nor space at the moment and the car being my daily just compounds the problem. Where there's a will there's a way though...