Sign in to follow this  
big ben

Lotus Espirits - anyone with experience?

I have a problem. I really need one of these in my life, i would even chop in the VRT for one if i had the extra cash needed to fund it...

Anyone had one, know anyone with/had one? anybody know anything about them??

i would imagine the part prices would be un thinkable? Its just when i get this feeling its not good, it wont go away until i actually own one, so i think i need to be told how rubbish and expensive they are to put me off saving for 2 years :lol: (i like the S4 i think, one below...)

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdflotus1.jpg[/attachment:4fuvgbde]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdflotus2.jpg[/attachment:4fuvgbde]

lotus3.jpg[/attachment:4fuvgbde]

they do come with a V8, but i think i would need 15k plus to get one, but it would be so nice :grin: i bet they go well

I can certainly see the appeal! It's a handsome beast.

I was never that keen on the Morris Marina door handled series 1, but that shape one looks fab.

I wouldn't worry about engines and mechanicals. They can soon be hoiked out for something better and more reliable :D

A late 4 cylinder turbo seems to be the one to get. Avoid the V8. Big bills and often unreliable - lots of overheating issues. Insurance is not too bad on the Esprit, but they are quite sensitive to setup and its recommended to replace the suspension bushes every few years to keep it sharp.

Not a car for tall people.

im 6ft, is that tall :lol:

a late 4 cylinder turbo does look the one to get, a decent one is looking at about 15k though

You might just be OK. I'm 6'5" and have no chance. You'll have to track one down in a 2nd hand showroom and see if you fit.

You might just be OK. I'm 6'5" and have no chance. You'll have to track one down in a 2nd hand showroom and see if you fit.

good idea...

i think the S4S is the best one for me, but too much money for me.

300 bhp and 290 ft-lbs of torque, Top speed 168 mph, 0-60 mph 4.6 seconds (sounds good to me!)

300 bhp and 290 ft-lbs of torque, Top speed 168 mph, 0-60 mph 4.6 seconds (sounds good to me!)

Where they really that quick? I seem to remember some write ups from that era suggesting they weren't as quick as the specs suggested!

Where they really that quick? I seem to remember some write ups from that era suggesting they weren't as quick as the specs suggested!

god knows... i cant even remember when i last see one :lol:

i suppose there is only 1 way to find out :D i wouldnt mind if it was slightly slower than the VRT

Lovely cars, but I remember reading that the engine bay is so cramped its an engine out job for a lot of repairs, and surely parts would be astronomical?

Would a front engined TVR scratch the "british sports car" itch? Hard to believe, but I would be willing to bet a TVR would be much cheaper to maintain, and probably be faster, easier to sell on etc.

tvr_chimaera_niot.net%20(13).jpg

^^ you are right, the engine looks a right pain!

As much as i love TVR's, they dont float my boat as much as that Lotus. The Lotus is classed as a supercar rather than a sport car to :lol:

I would have a TVR sagaris or T350 though for sure

If you thought a Corrado was a money pit, I would expect an old Lotus like that is in an entirely different league. I hope you've got plenty of savings before you even think of buying something like that mate! :)

What is it with all these Corrado owners looking at other cars at the moment? :lol:

I must admit I've got a real hankering for something else right now as well. Not sure whether it's because the C is playing up a little at the moment, or the fact I've had it for almost 5 years now, which is about 3.5 years longer than I've owned any car!

I do like the look of the Lotus, but I'd probably be looking for a good low miles TVR Tuscan S for that money if it was British you wanted.

If you thought a Corrado was a money pit, I would expect an old Lotus like that is in an entirely different league. I hope you've got plenty of savings before you even think of buying something like that mate! :)

i dont think a corrado is a money pit though... i think they are cheap and easy to work on your self, but i would imagine these can get quite tasty :lol:

thing is, they are only going to get more expensive to buy and run, so what do you do? go for it or bottle it and never own one your whole life :confused4:

I do like the look of the Lotus, but I'd probably be looking for a good low miles TVR Tuscan S for that money if it was British you wanted.

not after british, just love these Lotus Espirits :D

Doesn't LOTUS stand for ,'' Lots Of Money Usually Serious'' :D

My friend has one, in purple, looks the nuts IMO. it always made people look and admire. Never did get a ride in it. :(

My friend Tadleo, the italian stalion, he is one of their test drivers and is a jacket when i comes to these cars. If you have any questions, I can email him for u.

Have you considered the Honda NSX? Are they still silly money?

The V8's are to be avoided because of the gearbox. Isnt it out of a Renault 25 or something or am I confusing it with the delorean?

Guy at work has an Esprit Turbo. He's had it about a year and although its supposed to be his daily I've not seen it in the car park as much as his old Excel. He's not driving it in the current weather rather sensibly and it always seems to have misted up windows.

Yeah I think it's the same Renault Alpine GTA / 25 Gearbox. It was popular with some mid engine specials in the 80s/90s.

That's what I mean about Lotus though, they use cheap old running gear and fibreglass and charge a fortune for it.

I'd rather spend more on a PROPER supercar like a Ferrari or 911.

Doesn't LOTUS stand for ,'' Lots Of Money Usually Serious'' :D

Sureley it's " Lots of Trouble Usually Serious" what with it not being called Lomus :p

Remember somebody sticking an Audi V8 in the back of their esprit, was pretty funky build diary too!

What is it with all these Corrado owners looking at other cars at the moment? :lol:

I must admit I've got a real hankering for something else right now as well. Not sure whether it's because the C is playing up a little at the moment,

Yeah that's usually the reason! People love their Corrados when they're running right but hate them when they're sheet and want to sell them.

Then people buy something that's quieter, smoother etc and love it. Then 6 months later they're back on here looking to buy a Corrado again :cuckoo: