Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Should I go to TCS for a Corrado?

I know TCS cars are normally hugely overpriced but recently some of them seem to be reasonable money. They do seem to have a habit of finding good condition VR's which makes a change from some of the hit and miss stuff on the classifieds.

A cheeky offer of £3900 on this one and you have a brilliant Corrado; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORRADO-2-9-VR6-1 ... _1373wt_11

Has anyone ever bought a car from them? Had any experience with there Warranty?

For a start that looks like Mystic Blue so could it be a Storm without badging or has it been resprayed that colour?

Have a look about around ebay and other resources such as auto trader, i know this is ore of a mission but very worth it, i do think that is over priced, but the best option is to make sure the one you purchase is a good starting peice, ie good condition in all aspects.

Carry out proper checks of seals, sills, arches looking for rust and make sure the engine seems to be fine etc.

Just be sure to overlook a few and make your decision as their addictive and the first one you see youl want to purchase.....

Which could have a bad outcome, so make sure the one you buy is tiptop, go see it see if you think its worth the money your paying, looks a nice model, just overlook it to be sure.

For a start that looks like Mystic Blue so could it be a Storm without badging or has it been resprayed that colour?

Looks to be Mystic Blue. VW UK ordered far more than 500 Mystic Blue/Classic Greens than they badged as Storms. My old VR was a Storm in all but badging :)

the classic green was available as a standard colour yes, but pretty sure the mystic blue was unique to storms though (although obviously not VWs in general).

I wouldn't. He might have good examples but it's just out of principle.. ever since he came and boastfully told us on the CCGB stand at a Classic Car Show how he buys them in for next to nothing and makes a great profit. Nuts to that!

Ah so you've actually met him then Jim? Apart from that comment, what was he like? In my mind, I'd like to think he was strangling a kitten.

I was with Jim when we were talking to the owner of TCS, he admitted that he knew nothing about Corrados other then that they were an easy way to genertate an income, it was clear with some of the questions he was asking that he didn't have a clue, that obviously does not mean that he isn't worth buying a car from - just don't expect to be consulting an expert on the car

There are a few traders on this forum. At least TCS is open and honest about being one rather than making up stories about why he's selling the car, or why the V5 is not in his name. In that respect I would buy from him if he had a car that was the right condition AND the right price.

However, as with any trader selling older cars which are naturally at the lower price point in relative terms, the only way to make a profit is to buy them cheap and sell at higher than private value. So the question you need to ask is why he bought the car cheaply? Was it because the car wouldn't sell privately? And if that's the case then what is the reason?

I'm not saying that all cars sold by small traders have an issue but I would recommend really looking over the car very well to understand why it might have been bought by the trader at a lower price than someone could have sold it for privately.

Neil,

As some have said dont bother i'd be inclined to take a look at what he has if i was ever coming back into C ownership, i'm sure he will always have several to look at and compare and that alone is worth the trip as no one else stocks them these days.

Much as i hate anyone for making huge profit from next to nothing the guy is though upfront about it and after all is just trying to make a living.

You will obviously know much more than he will so take that as an advantage.

As for cars being overpriced who are we to dictate what someone else spends on a car? if its right for them or indeed if it was right for me i would pay what it was worth to me and i have done on 2 of my Corrados as some of you know :roll: that doesn't mean i have more money than sense because i dont i can tell you :lol:

But if a car looked right and ticked all the boxes that to me is far more important than a few extra pounds even if it's a few extra thousand :?

Does look Aqua to me as the light is quite dull it makes the car a darker blue, never seen a non storm mystic myself! only the chap on here who had it painted mystic.

Does look Aqua to me as the light is quite dull it makes the car a darker blue, never seen a non storm mystic myself! only the chap on here who had it painted mystic.

:wave: Though mine was painted before I bought it.

I've never met the TCS guy but have read plenty on the forum about him. There have been cases of people going to look at a car described by him as mint only to find it bodged or have rust covered or attempted to be hidden. I guess its buyer beware, there has to be a reason why he was able to buy cheap in the first place.

You could go and have a look, then do a review for us. Best of luck finding the right one for you mate.

I've always found the best examples on car and classic .co.uk. lot's of people fail to look at the classic car magazines and web pages just look here and pistonheads.... theres a vr with 88K on the clock on there at the moment.

i have met him twice and yeh he hasn't got a clue about corrados, but he just gets them from people who want to get rid of them for various reasons so pays them bottom book price, then tarts them up and sells tham at a profit (whats wrong with that??) some of the cars he has sold have been true minters, others have been total dogs.

he is not fat from me so if you want i will happilly view it if you want mate.

karl

he is not fat from me so if you want i will happilly view it if you want mate.

karl

one person thats not eaten too much turkey this xmas then :)

I was trying to arrange a viewing and get more pix/details off this guy before I ended up buying a different Corrado from somewhere else - it took so many phone calls and a long time to actually get anything out of him, so I decided to go elsewhere in the end, getting a lower mileage, black leather recaros, and cheaper than the price he was selling the original one! I was asking for details for well over a month, and wanted to make sure I had a viewing 1st as it had a very low mileage and would probably get snapped up!

I wouldn't go to him purely on his really bad sales skills, I thought he was pretty rude especially to a 95% potential buyer

OK, well I'll avoid TCS then :D

Anyone know of any mint forum cars (preferably unmolested as possible) that are coming up for sale soon through the grapevine?

My old VR was a Storm in all but badging :)

Hey mate! better not be the Green Storm you had me buy off that eldery gentleman back in Nov '09 :shock:

Nah! just kidd'n :lol: she's going like a dream mate - only repair since then was rear bearings - not bad eh!

thanks again and best'a luck with your search - the right one's out there - a bit've graft and a sprinkle of luck and you'll be away :clap: