Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Where to grease bonnet release?

The bonnet release on my green Corrado is great.. not much effort to pull the lever and the bonnet releases quite easily. The red Corrado however, you have to really swing on the lever and it only releases at the very end of the reach of the lever. I think something needs a bit of greasing up.. but where the heck do you need to grease the mechanism? Any advice?

Ta :)

i did mine where you can see the cable[wire] on top of the slam panel.also if its only releasing at the last bit has it stretched over the years?.it looks like you can undo the wire by the slam panel and pull some through then re tighten, bit like you used to do with a brake cable on a pushbike .

I'll have to stick my head in there and have a nose around. Car has done not far short of 200,000 miles now so no surprise it's stretched a little! Cheers :)

i did mine where you can see the cable[wire] on top of the slam panel.also if its only releasing at the last bit has it stretched over the years?.it looks like you can undo the wire by the slam panel and pull some through then re tighten, bit like you used to do with a brake cable on a pushbike .

Yeah you can adjust it but it's a tiny screw and a little corrosion can make it difficult to budge without damaging it. I'd grease as much of the sliding parts as possible.

mines was almost the same but im had probs with just one of the release catches not letting go. bonnet wont open on one side until i get someone to hold down the side that opens to get it the other side to open.

i pretty sure its just a small screw on the slam panel release mech,pull cable slack through,and tigthen up

just one of them annoying little jobs that takes two mins and hands like a contortionist

Give the pins a good greasing, making sure that the springs and collars move freely.

As toad says give them a good grese as mine on the sherry was dodgy but touch wood getting better after I put lots of grease on them and opening the bonnet alot

good post Jim :) , was thinking about this myself, on my 8v mine was getting a little reluctant to release and I adjusted the screw/cable nr the nearside headlight and the release is fine now but it does squeak a bit, will have to 'have a butchers' and grease things up a bit more :)

Sucks not having sunlight when you get home from work... and I don't have a nice garage like you for fettling the car in! :) Might get some time next weekend if the weather behaves! :)

good post Jim :) , was thinking about this myself, on my 8v mine was getting a little reluctant to release and I adjusted the screw/cable nr the nearside headlight and the release is fine now but it does squeak a bit, will have to 'have a butchers' and grease things up a bit more :)

On my bros VR we tightened it up at the passengers headlight and then the clip on the bonnet release handle broke so had to be replaced with a brand new cable so be careful not to over tighten it people