Critical_Mass

WTD: unusual part request

Hi all

Im after a bit of an unusual part, but a part that when it broke caused me an annoying issue of being unable to release the bonnet. On the bonnet release cable there's a golf tee shaped piece of plastic behind the drivers headlight, which the bonnet cable runs through the middle off - it pulls on the lever when the bonnet release lever is pulled. Unfortunately over the winter the piece disintegrated and wouldnt release the cable

I've provided a pic - i know etka is generally shows a LHD and in the pic it still is LHD, but for some reason the cable is the RHD way round, despite the bonnet release lever being on the LHD side :shrug:

Im going to use it to get a metal one made up if possible, if anyone else is interested. This piece is seperate from the cable and has its own part number. Its now obsolete, but my mechanic has found ONE in stock, or they're at least showing one in stock - fingers crossed. Still either way im going to get a metal one made up using hte plastic one as a template.

1, Critical_Mass

2, Jon_Vr6 - PAID

3, VR6 Lee

4, neuon2003

5, Farmboymatt

6, 8vMatt - PAID

7, VR6Pete - PAID

8, Dragon Green - PAID

Edited by Critical_Mass

I wonder why they obsoleted the drivers side one but not the other one with the nipple on, if your going to get some made up i would be interested in a couple fella

It could be obsolete Jon, i didnt check the one on the end of the cable.

Its not definate i can get some made up, it will depend on my uncle and how many he can get made up at his work.

But i'll put you first on the list fella.

Its not definate i can get some made up, it will depend on my uncle and how many he can get made up at his work.

I know the other one is still available as my bro got one late last year

I know the other one is still available as my bro got one late last year[/quote:xjkdgj0b]

The metal one?

443 823 597A IS the number i gave when i asked if he could get me one, not sure if this will be plastic or metal. But he def said it was obsolete and could only find the one in stock.

I'll have to see what comes back.

Please please bear in mind im not sure how many i will be able to get made, it maybe just the one, it maybe none... but he may not mind making more. So its not definate, its just a possibility. Plus he goes away next week, so will have to wait until then. Saying that i maybe able to get another firm to make them, if there's one in the leeds area.

I know the other one is still available as my bro got one late last year[/quote:38q4ezoa]

The metal one?

443 823 597A IS the number i gave when i asked if he could get me one, not sure if this will be plastic or metal. But he def said it was obsolete and could only find the one in stock.

I'll have to see what comes back.

Please please bear in mind im not sure how many i will be able to get made, it maybe just the one, it maybe none... but he may not mind making more. So its not definate, its just a possibility. Plus he goes away next week, so will have to wait until then. Saying that i maybe able to get another firm to make them, if there's one in the leeds area.[/quote:38q4ezoa]

No i mean the one for the passenger side is still available mate. As you said the drivers side one is obsolete definitely

You should be able to use the passenger side one on the drivers side, so long as you remove the 6mm cable securing bolt.

You should be able to use the passenger side one on the drivers side, so long as you remove the 6mm cable securing bolt.

Sounds like that could work

Yeah that could work. I may look into that if it comes to it. Going to see what the score is with my uncle and if he doesnt mind making more, i'll get numbers :D

Just thinking how to get the new part on, do the spongy things marked as no.24 in the attached pic slide off or what?

Yeah that could work. I may look into that if it comes to it. Going to see what the score is with my uncle and if he doesnt mind making more, i'll get numbers :D

Just thinking how to get the new part on, do the spongy things marked as no.24 in the attached pic slide off or what?

No number 24 stays where it is when you pull the cable through think its attached to the body work behind the grille

Sure? im pretty sure they're on the cable sleeve itself? i'll take a look tomorrow. Cheers Jon

They all pull from the inner cable. The three foam pieces slide over the cable outer.

Ok, so will i be able to disconnect the side with the adjustable nut, and slide the new drivers side part on before replacing the passenger side?

That make sense?

OK guys, my uncle is willing to get some of these made, but i dont think he will be will doing loads. I maybe able to get away with about 5-10 made.

I'll update the first page with the names of those that have already said.

However at the moment ive got one from the suppliers on order, this isnt 100% that they have it - the supplier were showing as one in stock and its been ordered but not yet turned up and assuming the stock number was correct. If it doesnt show up i'll look into other means to get hold of one - breaking cars etc.

I'll be using the one on order or any one that i can get my hands on, as a template to get them made up.

So just bear with me and i'll keep this thread updated.

Cheers

Ok, the one that i had on order from the suppliers is now looking like a stock error. So im after one from anyone who has one. Im checking the breaking corrados for one too.

BUMP!!!!! :D

I have a partially broken one somewhere that I ended up replacing with a home made aluminium one, much like is being suggested here. I'll see if I can find it and post its dimensions, though I probably won't manage it tonight.