Pat_McCrotch

Chineese MK2 Jetta Dash. Interesting....

Another thing I've noticed is that it's slightly easier to turn the flap direction control when the blower's turned off.......

Never seen this issue covered before on here but interesting to know others have same issue - I wince :pale: everytime I have to 'SLOWLY' change flap direction.......as above defo easier without fan blowing.

what a hotch-potch of mk2/3/4 parts, reminds me of the VW south africa MK1 models.

on the subject of the distribution unit, I have a corrado (albeit a mk2 golf part number, which they all are) unit which I'm eventually going to put in my 8v when I can be bothered, the 8v feet/screen flap lever arm broke and you can't really replace it.

looking over the unit this weekend and groping under the dash of the 8v to reconnect and fix the main air flap, I realised why the 8v has passat controls in it, someone broke the old ones trying to force the air flaps.

it's pretty clear from comparing the smoothness of the units in/out of the car and looking at all the moving parts, that a combination of dirt, wear on the foam sealing pieces etc is the cause of the dash controls getting stiff then breaking.

I lubricated the cogs and pivot points with PTFE spray and it improved no end, and it really doesn't help that the corrado has no filter into the system like the big pollen filters on mk3's and 4's.

I don't think, from my investigations, that the pivot areas for the flaps actually wear, it seems all down to dirt, lack of lubrication and the old foam dampers and seals, all which I think can be cleaned and fixed.

Only problem is, it's a dash out job to do really, I did improve the 8v one enough to make it actually work again though.

will take some pics of the unit out of the car and point out the areas.

Ok, got the part numbers. The chineese part numbers have an L at the front to denote locally produced.

Left cover cap for dash panel: L 1GD 858 547

Right cover cap for dash panel: L 1GD 858 548

Heater Control Panel: L 1H0 820 045 D

If you remove the L from the heater control panel it's available in the I'm for 35 quid. I've got one on order so I can have a look. I reckon the heater direction & fan speed dials will be the wrong way around compared to our cars. BUT if we can source the Chineese Jetta heater front panels from china we may have a solution!! :D

what a hotch-potch of mk2/3/4 parts, reminds me of the VW south africa MK1 models.

on the subject of the distribution unit, I have a corrado (albeit a mk2 golf part number, which they all are) unit which I'm eventually going to put in my 8v when I can be bothered, the 8v feet/screen flap lever arm broke and you can't really replace it.

looking over the unit this weekend and groping under the dash of the 8v to reconnect and fix the main air flap, I realised why the 8v has passat controls in it, someone broke the old ones trying to force the air flaps.

it's pretty clear from comparing the smoothness of the units in/out of the car and looking at all the moving parts, that a combination of dirt, wear on the foam sealing pieces etc is the cause of the dash controls getting stiff then breaking.

I lubricated the cogs and pivot points with PTFE spray and it improved no end, and it really doesn't help that the corrado has no filter into the system like the big pollen filters on mk3's and 4's.

I don't think, from my investigations, that the pivot areas for the flaps actually wear, it seems all down to dirt, lack of lubrication and the old foam dampers and seals, all which I think can be cleaned and fixed.

Only problem is, it's a dash out job to do really, I did improve the 8v one enough to make it actually work again though.

will take some pics of the unit out of the car and point out the areas.

Would this stuff do the job with the pivot points etc to keep things 'loose'? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GT85-SPRAY-LUBRIC ... 20b68cb44a

It's not just the rotary dial heater control panel thats the problem.

The air control box with the flaps in is made mostly of plastic and over time the levers and cogs that are on the airbox wear resulting in increased resistance, this manifests itself on later (post facelift) cars by overloading the gear mechanism in the heater controls.

You can try fitting a drill bit shank to the the bottom of the selector dial, (although I can't recall the required diameter) this will reinforce on of the weak points on the dial controls.

The next option requires more work, the heater box needs to be removed, have all the dead leaves and mud cleaned out of it (that doesn't help the flaps) and then you can replace some of the lever control arms and the felt washers that are used. This will clean up the operation and reduce the loading through the heater control panel.

Yan/David, can you confirm how to get the heater exchange box out? I currently have no hot/cold control so was going to try and located and remove the box for a dig around.. can this be done without removing the dash?

Yan/David, can you confirm how to get the heater exchange box out? I currently have no hot/cold control so was going to try and located and remove the box for a dig around.. can this be done without removing the dash?

Yes but with plenty of swearing.

Basically you need to remove the large lump that lives behind the centre console, there are nuts in the engine bay to remove and you have to fight a bit to get the long duct off that the blower fan lives in.

I have opened the flaps manually

4fz86o.gif

The VR6 I bought from volksworld13 on here had a set of heater controls that i'd never seen in a Corrado before, they were very similar and worked perfectly but the dials were slightly different, I assumed they were from a Passat or something?

Yeah the surface area of 2 flaps being blown on (Steady Toad / Supercharged) can put up quite a resistance to move. I always move my flaps on speed 1, or no fan :D

The best bet is to comfortably open the flaps and then build up to full power.

When moving flaps there should definitely be no resistance. Even a small amount of resistance could get you into lots of trouble further down the line.

Lubricating the flaps could be a good idea, but not really necessary if the C is well maintained.

The best bet is to comfortably open the flaps and then build up to full power.

When moving flaps there should definitely be no resistance. Even a small amount of resistance could get you into lots of trouble further down the line.

Lubricating the flaps could be a good idea, but not really necessary if the C is well maintained.

I think that wins the prize for most double entendres in one post. :norty: :lol:

that's exactly what I thought :nono: :lol:

anyway, I've a plethora of flap shots to upload now, be up in a bit...

here we go, many shots from all angles of main air distribution unit

http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20 ... on%20unit/

this unit is a Corrado one circa 1993/4

it has the feed duct from the fan attached, but the separate duct to the feet and the L/R/Centre face vent tubing is not attached

I'll annotate/label some of the pics with arrows/text when I can, showing some of the points that cause too much friction when dirty

thread for the air distribution unit description of operation and pics etc here

Right, after a little more investigation, the MK3 heater panel that is fitted in the Chinese Jetta does indeed have the fan speed and directional dials swapped around. Now, as far as I know there are no problems whatsoever with MK3 Golf heater panels. So it could be a very likely possibility that the swapping of the dials combined with the more robust MK3 heater panel fixed the issue?

Now, if the heater panel i've ordered does indeed function fine. It will mean I will have to source the reversed fascia trim from China. But it will still mean that the total cost to repair will only be about £65 most. A quarter of the price required to buy the Corrado heater panel which would no doubt break straight away.

The problem? We need someone to go to China and buy about 20 of these fascia panels. Knowing China they'll only be 50p each anyway :lol:

I will get a part number for the fascia plate tomorrow. Please can someone contact me if you realistically think you can get hold of some.