Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Carports, anyone built there own?

Beginning to think that a Car Port, although not as good as a garage, will at least offer the C some protection.

The only ones I've seen on eBay etc look a little 'plastic' and definitely out of character of with our house. Has anyone got any recommendations or built there own?

I used timber frame and palm leaves here, but guess the leaves might be difficult for you to find there.

Replace leaves with some triple wall polycarb instead, or maybe sheet roofing. Bit difficult to discuss style without seeing house

Have fun, but wait till it's warmer.

Dic

I used timber frame and palm leaves here,

This Forum needs a Like button! :lol: and I want a pic of the C under the palm leaf carport!!

I design timber frame structures for my job, i make a 3D model of each bit of wood and then a machine cuts and labels every of wood from that.

I don't mind helping you design something if you went down that route.

house2.jpg

^some wood :lol:

Nice one! We need a "useful trades" thread listing what jobs people do, such as plumbing, chippies, sparkies, sprayers etc etc :D

I was thinking of a carport too. It's much better to leave a wet car under a port than in a garage as the air can circulate round it and dry it off. Only snag is I have a double garage and I'm unsure if the span of that is going to need some substantial supports in the middle? Ideally I'd like just one big double garage sized span if possible?

Good idea Crotchy boy, you may have started something here :D

Will your old boy let you build one on the side of his house though?

P.S. I hate these kind of carports with a passion!!

economy-cantilever.jpg

That's just a lid tho! My mate has one but it's just a timber frame with a corrugated lid on it

Just a heads up, car ports are considered exactly the same as a garage by planning department.

Not a fan of car ports but i guess in certain situations they can become useful and are relatively cheap. The nicer you want it to look, the more you have to spend!

P.S. I hate these kind of carports with a passion!!

economy-cantilever.jpg

was it on here that someone posted the one that fell down in the snow :lol:

EDIT: no it was another forum i use

34xrhna.jpg

2d0jbdt.jpg

PMSL :lol:

was it on here that someone posted the one that fell down in the snow :lol:

That sort has been known to come down in a gust of wind, let alone snow and ice weight on it :lol:

Yeah a nice timber frame is what I had in mind and cheers for the heads up on planning swiftkid, didn't realise that!

just been speaking to our planning guys and there seems to be a few factors that influence if you need planning or not.

Depending on your neighbours etc, you could always add one and then if someone mentions it/complains, you could apply for retrospective planning

just been speaking to our planning guys and there seems to be a few factors that influence if you need planning or not.

Depending on your neighbours etc, you could always add one and then if someone mentions it/complains, you could apply for retrospective planning

With my council and I believe with a lot of others, the cantilever type above doesn't need planning permission. Planning permission is only if the carport touches the ground and if it does, drains have to be moved or encased where the load bearing support is placed. Thats why the cantilever type off the house wall side is popular.

Second thing that didn't affect me for nearly twenty years and stung just when it wasn't needed. Check your house deeds. In my case despite it being freehold, there was a convenent in the deeds (c.1979) about altering the appearance of the property (ie.land & house). It stated I had to have the permission of the builders. In my house sale, the buyer's solicitor raised the point and asked for the builder's paperwork granting the change. Got round it eventually but it was a sticking point.

As it happens, our boundary fence between the garages (conjoined row of 4) is due for renewal (our responsibility), so I could ask the neighbours when I pull it down this summer if they'd object to a load of plastic sheets ruining the view out of their side windows, which will turn green and mouldy in a few years too :lol:

What I had in mind was a nice timber structure with discreet panels (if such a thing exists, i.e. not ugly corrigated plastic) which would double up as a pergola looking thing with nice Virgina creepers or wysterias (sp?) growing up it?

Dunno... is such a thing of beauty possible? :lol:

yeah, you could do that in green oak with decent gallows brackets for support instead of posts and a nice slate roof

Well if you need any assistance with planning give me a shout, i used to be a planning technician for 4 years, now do architecture so still deal with all the planning stuff... unfortunately :(

RW1, that advice sounds more like building regulations. Planning permission is very house dependant not structure dependant, ie where it is place, will it be closer to a highway, how high is it etc.

Maybe not clear what I wrote, no planning permission or building regs required for the cantilever (Other than clearance by the manufacturer of the design).

Yes PP for the structure if on the ground or touches the ground. Then grounded structures get into building regs on how its done.

House deeds are another matter. Current ones are even more lengthy on what can & what can't etc. do. 9 pages of it for me.

Yeah a nice timber frame is what I had in mind and cheers for the heads up on planning swiftkid, didn't realise that!

Please don't do this, it truly is a nightmare of panic and hassle to apply retrospectively. There are a few factors that affect whether a carport needs planning permission of not, its not just a case of "its a carport so it doesn't need it". You will find that even if you want to build something marginally over your permitted development rights planning officers/technicians won't tell you so you end up applying for something meaning architects drawings, planning fees etc for the sake of 50mm and I kid you not I have seen it happen before.

Part 1, class A in the link below is relevant to carports/extensions but I would always advise dropping a quick letter into the planning department to make sure planning isn't required.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008 ... 362_en.pdf

Even though mine`s a cantilever car port (sorry Kev !) i still had to get planning permission !

The previous pic of the collasped one was due to it being bolted into a timber framed building !

AlgarveVR6 wrote:I used timber frame and palm leaves here,

This Forum needs a Like button! :lol: and I want a pic of the C under the palm leaf carport!!

will see if I can find one, but have taken carport down now and put it ontop of my garage so I can BBQ and sit out in the shade at the same time

does this make any sense ? :confused4:

Even though mine`s a cantilever car port (sorry Kev !) i still had to get planning permission !

The previous pic of the collasped one was due to it being bolted into a timber framed building !

:lol: Yours looks a lot better than that nasty thing I put up!

That's a decent looking funny car you have parked under it as well! 8)

if you can fix a corrado, then putting up a timber frame to support some roof sheets has to be easier. Surely ????

Useless at DIY :lol: I will consult the brother in law as he's good at these things :)

where the timber meets the ground consider using a stainess steel support, to avoid direct contact and therefore rot.

ask in a good builders merchant (note I didn't say b and q) they will know what you need

enjoy

ps if you want to rewire my engine bay, then I'll do the car port for ya !