Pat_McCrotch

Pat McCrotch's VR6

How much were the new scuttle trims i assume you mean the 3 piece part ?? I thought one of them was now obsolete

Cheers

Jon

Loving the progress, you certainly aren't messing about. Would you kindly list all the parts/part numbers and prices of all the trim items you sourced when changing the windscreen and scuttle if you would be so kind. I'd like to make sure I have all the necessary parts ready for when I change my screen as I inevitably will need to do sooner or later.

More evidence of a hugely succesful Compomotive transplant. :salute:

£90 for all 3 bits :)

Cheers bud want to renew mine as they are more a grey/white colour now rather than black

Will do.

I've got a little wallet of receipts so far. It totals £500 already at Staff rate if you include the clutch :pale: It's mental how quickly you can spend money on these things, I haven't really even bought anything major yet! It's just been clips, screws, mats and the odd dash trim that isn't obselete!

Are the white clips still available do you know? Mine are broken and the scuttle trim to windscreen was just glued in.

Also, I believe that you can take a hot gun to these bits of plastic and they renew their colour? I will try mine as they are a bit faded towards the edges.

I wonder if that's why one of my lower screen panels is gloss black? Neil ordered my panels and clips a long time ago. Like other people, I am pre-empting things going obsolete and stock piling now. One of my 3 panels was a rather tasty gloss black and the other 2 the standard matt finish. Intriguing. Neil's were all matt :scratch:

Anyway, I'm going to paint the other 2 gloss to match. I won't have to bother with the Meguiars plastic treatment anymore :D

TT wipers and new scuttle trim panels on :) Also dropped the rear about 5-7 mil. The rear arch gap now matches the front and makes for a much nicer looking, handling and riding car :salute:

Still having issues with the passenger door not locking with the remote. Turns out its the electrical part of the vacuum plunger in the door. The connectors appear to have some corrosion. Knowing VW they have made it obsolete but will find out on Monday :)

TT wipers and new scuttle trim panels on :) Also dropped the rear about 5-7 mil. The rear arch gap now matches the front and makes for a much nicer looking, handling and riding car :salute:

Still having issues with the passenger door not locking with the remote. Turns out its the electrical part of the vacuum plunger in the door. The connectors appear to have some corrosion. Knowing VW they have made it obsolete but will find out on Monday :)

have same problem with mine , locks with a key but not with alarm .

Decisions, decisions!

After a month with the budget coilovers and the unbearable ride I'm now considering a change in direction for the car. I'm kind of forgetting why I fell in love with the Corrado in the first place and i'd much prefer to see it in (relatively) standard format. There are things which ultimately need and would benefit from upgrading (TT bushes & Eibach roll bars on the shopping list ;) ) but I would like to experience the car in as close to as standard format as possible as i've never owned one without standard suspension. I think people would appreciate it more as a standard car anyway, along with making it easier to sell (not that i'm planning to mind ;) )

So, after weeks of weighing up the coilovers, I've decided to remove them and the Compotives and replacement with the factory springs and shock absorbers and my Speedlines. The suspension won't get a complete overhaul due to budget constraints but it will slowly be replace piece by piece :)

Luckily I still have the standard suspension. The coil springs are now obselete, the rear shocks were only replaced in 2005 (only done 3000 miles since then) and the front shocks are original so they will be replaced :)

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

MOT failed....on the windscreen! It's gained a stress fracture over the last week :(

Plan at the moment is to get a new screen fitted tomorrow and the MOT done. Refit 15" Speedlines and trial a 3 finger suspension gap on the coilovers :)

The screen fitter blamed us for cracking the screen, by fitting the plastic trim panels ourselves. Erm, yeah sure, clipping a plastic trim onto the scuttle panel is really going to crack a screen isn't it? Dumb arses. It wasn't cracked after we fitted the trims, but it was in their premises, odd that.

Neil is also thinking excessive body flex, but again, I'm calling shoddy workmanship on this, or at worst, a defective screen.

He's having a run of bad luck at the mo, but it will come good, so long as he doesn't give up and throw the towel in! It's common to all Corrados. Years of neglect unearthed by an enthusiast is always going to cost some money.

Where was it Kev - they should have ordered the trims shouldn't they??

Rust is the usual cause of stress cracks but they should have dealt with that if they found any...

He's having a run of bad luck at the mo

You're not kidding! :( Just seems to be never-ending spending at the moment. I don't even remember the previous one being this bad!

Can anyone offer advice with regards to the vacuum central locking?

My near side door doesn't lock and when connected to the vacuum actuator on the door won't even lock manually as the pressure in the vacuum stops it from doing so.

I've replaced the the dock lock, ruled out the rods and clips and tonight replaced the actuator in the door still the same problemk. There is pressure in the system but the actuator just clicks and doesnt pull the rod down.

Is there a process to fitment? Have I done something wrong is is something else up?

Only other possibilities are;

- Vacuum leak (although the drivers door and boot lock fine and the actuator in the NS door does 'lock down' when the car is lock. It just doesn't go up again.

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

Could it be a faulty actuator mate? i tried 3 different ones before it finally worked without issues, annoying but persistance came good in the end.

Also try adjusting the travel on the rod with thread on it as i think if that is a long way off where it should be this can also cause problems.

Found the central locking fault and I can see why us dealers get such a bad name now!

I traced the vacuum hose through the dash and found why it's not working. When the matrix was done by the dealer in 2009 they replaced the hose all the way across the dash. However when the twits put the dash back in they crushed the pipe across the top off the bulkhead. So the pipe isn't broken, it's been crushed!

This is why the central locking pump doesnt run on when you lock it as there is effectively an air lock so as far as the pump is concerned there's nothing wrong. There is no way in hell I'll that pipe out without removing the dash again. So will have to leave it in there and re-route another one. So problem found but not resolved!!