Sign in to follow this  
rjw81

my vr6 is losin water!!! why? help!

Hi my rado vr6 is losing water! After drivin for about 5 miles my header tank is dangerously low! I have a clean engine. (No mayo) and my engine temp doesn't look bad! Sits around the 80 to 90 mark on the dash! Av had a monoxide test on the header tank done and that was all fine! All the coolant pipes to the engine are hot, there are no leaks from the car what so ever! It has 84000 on the clock and is regulary serviced!

please help!

Ta

Have you done/had any work done to the car recently? Did it have anti freeze in over the winter? Do your heaters blow hot air?

It could be an airleak working its way through, it could be a hole in your radiator you can't see, it could be a split in a hose somewhere. Lots of things to check for!

check the area below the thermo housing and aux water pump. Tell tail signs of leakage would be white water marks. Our Golf is losing water from both :oops: :oops:

If no visible external leaks, it's usually always the heater matrix.

But I would expect losing a litre in 5 miles would leave a hefty clue in the engine bay or in the car, though.

have you got the pink G12+++++++++ coolant?

really helps when spotting leaks, i found mine hard to trace as the VR6 bay is quite a warm place so leaks dry up.

I've had them from Aux water pump, thermostat housing, radiator, underside of a coolant pipe

might be a silly one, is the header tank cap tight? When you come to a stop do you see some steam coming from the pass side of the car? Check that the cap is allowing the system to hold pressure. Might be simple to just replace it i think its about £7-8 from GSF or the dealers.

Sounds like the dreaded heater matrix to me, if not the infamous crack pie (as i know.....), sorry to be gloomy but would put money on one of those.

I defy a priest not to swear when doing that little job, or a trappist monk not to talk.....

:lol:

its great fun isnt it.. the best bit is when you break the heating control unit, then find out its £200 off VW :suprised:

still, you cant be classed as a corrado owner until you have changed one :D :lol:

Thanks for your replys!

O rings were gone on the crack pipe so replaced them as it was clearly leaking from there at one point, put in new thermostat whilst I was at it! There is hot air comin throughj the heating system into the car so I originally didn't think it was the heater matrix! Could it still be the case even if I have hot air in the car?????

Ta!

yep, i had hot air when mine leaked. It might only have a crack in it... Be easy to see if it is the matrix, check the passenger foot well under the mat, will be wet... Also you would have condensation on the inside of the windscreen

The most obvious sign of a blown/cracked matrix is that the air coming from the heater smells of anti-freeze.

YEP! Soakin wet passenger footwell!!! Thanks a million guys! Hopefully I can get me rado back on the road sooner rather than later!!!

May the force be with you Luke...there must be a wiki for this job somewhere, hope we haven't put you off the job by some of the posts!! Ben is right watch out for the heater control unit...........Good luck and let us know how it goes :?

advanced search for heater matrix (by topic not post) - _Kris_ (i think) did a very good write up on it. allow yourself at least a day if you havent done it before though..