AlgarveVR6

215 tyres on speedlines

Was thinking about that myself. Very limited choice of 215/45/15s though. I think the Toyo T1-R is your ONLY choice, in fact! If you find out more, let me know!

but even 205s are normally too wide looking though! 195/50 would be a much more attractive proposition if you're trying to avoid the 205/50 tax?

Yeah 205/50s are an odd tyre. The Speedos Mic VR sold me had my old favourites on them, Bridgestone RE720s, and they are slightly wider than the 215/40/17s I put on my comps!

195s look a bit small on the though VR imo, because it has chunkier arches than the 4 pot Corrados, but they are sooooooo much cheaper! 195/50 also has a noticably shallower side wall to 205/50, so ride comfort can be a bit thumpy.....

195's work ok. had some shitty 195 avons on before, but no issues. on the wheels when I got them

might just go the parada 195 as I love the tyre, and so much cheaper

i know its not speedies but 215/40/17 - any experience of these? I'm looking to replace two of my rear tyres with 215s, is this advisable? Arches will be rolled or done with a hammer & dolly first though. This is for the TT comps

One thing to think about is clearance from the spring if you are running low, my 205's have polished the spring on my coilovers! Had to lift it up for extra clearance.

Personally I think 205's are the widest to go on standard wheels, they just wouldn't look right any wider

A polished spring earns you 50 extra scene points :D

Strange issue you have there though! That's never happened to me with standard wheels and coilovers!

Haha, i'll maybe be cool enough to post a members ride thread on edition soon!

I know, never even crossed my mind with standard wheels, just happened to notice that my tyre had a faint ring round the inner edge when I was playing mechanic that I noticed. Its because the coil is wound down and probably the tyre giving a little when cornering, if it was higher i wouldn't have the problem but I like how it looks.

I did lose some scene points for lifting the rear end up for extra tyre clearance though!

Ah, gotcha, I know what you mean now. That's only happened on mine with 8J rims and ET40.

Raised losing you scene points?!! Pah, you're no longer in the scene if you can get 1 finger + between the arch and tyre :lol:

Yes, a few of us have used 215 17s, use the search

how did you find them compared to the 205s? Any improvement in ride comfort or any downsides (swiftkids rubbed springs excluded!!)? Do you reckon its worth it, or should i stick with 205s?

Id only use the 215/40/17's if you have 8in or wider on the wheels. The RR is also increasing a fair bit over the standard 205/50/15's so there will be a decrease in accle. Even 205/40/17's are bigger.

Same. I don't think I'd bother with 215/17s again tbh.

I've got rid of all my 17s now and will probably go to 195/15s when my current 205/15s wear out. Small wheel acceleration is much more appealing these days :D

ok thanks for that. I'm thinking (for quite a while!) of getting some 16s again, so the tyre question will crop up again no doubt! I find that 15s are just too small for the Corrado.

They certaily are mate, visually at least. Unfortunately these cars do drive best on them and also, I'm sorry to say, with the standard ride height too.

One thing to think about is clearance from the spring if you are running low, my 205's have polished the spring on my coilovers! Had to lift it up for extra clearance.

Personally I think 205's are the widest to go on standard wheels, they just wouldn't look right any wider

My wheels are polishing the springs on my coilovers too.