Sign in to follow this  
huggy

That FOAM under the bonet!

Hey peeps, just wondering, been slowly but surely cleaning under my bonet and have noticed that the foam stuff (presume sound barier and some degree of fire supperession) is well a bit weak and comes away easly there is a chunk missing.

Also noticed tha most of the cars in pvw have thiers missing.

So my question is what are the pros and cons of removing this stuff and if theres a lot of cons where do i get new stuff to replace the degrading old?

Appologies if there is a long thread on this already, couldnt find it if there is.

new stuff from the dealers about 110 iirc, most people dont replace due to the cost..

I'm having the same problem, every time i open the bonnet the stuff gets everywhere! Going to take the bonnet off and remove the lot, can't see there being any problems with it.

Would be interesting to know what its purpose is though, i.e. sound deadening or insulation??

sound deadening, I used a plastic straight edge and turps after pulling most off by hand,left a scratch free zone.one of the first things i removed when I got the car.

i have a mint set on a spare bonnet, is there of removing the foam and not messing it up. can't really see it happening but thought i would ask

Heat and oil kill it - the later stuff is still available, around £70 from VW

(with discount and without VAT though)

Heat and oil kill it - the later stuff is still available, around £70 from VW

(with discount and without VAT though)

Not when I bought mine...

Prices all went up on the 24th though so it's probably more like £80-90 now

The price last June was £88.15 +VAT retail (£105.78 inc VAT @ 20%)

Best trade price was £80.66 +VAT

i'll have a look tomorrow when i get into work to see the current retail price

there was a discussion here - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62724

Was used as noise deadening hence changing it for noisekill. Looks nicer to in sliver (IMO)... and it wipes clean as well as being cheaper! Also I think i right in saying they don't make the OEM stuff for early bonnets any more either so those with G60's or early 16v's, this is all there is to get..

But tbh... If you like the sounds.. keep it off. It's just weight and does little for fire suppression. :D

i have a mint set on a spare bonnet, is there of removing the foam and not messing it up. can't really see it happening but thought i would ask

when i had to replace my bonnet the bodyshop managed to get the very good set off the old one successfully and it looks almost as good as new on the replacement bonnet. I'm guessing that that involved a lot of heat on the old bonnet though which probably didnt do the paint much good, but as it was getting binned then that wouldnt have mattered. depends if you care about the spare that you have i guess?

Mate, email me tomorrow... Mine came from GPC in April last year, £60 +vat

I think thats a TPS price you've quoted - they will only offer 10-15% off 'normal' parts where a dealer might do 30-40%

Mate, email me tomorrow... Mine came from GPC in April last year, £60 +vat

I think thats a TPS price you've quoted - they will only offer 10-15% off 'normal' parts where a dealer might do 30-40%

Steve show me where a dealer does that kinda discount????? :shock: I struggle to get 10% t mine sometimes... :(

Steve show me where a dealer does that kinda discount????? :shock: I struggle to get 10% t mine sometimes... :(

It really depends on what your getting but I struggle to get better than 10% - 25%... I think it changes between garages :?