gradeAfailure

The "Will these wheels and tyres fit" thread

[Mod edit - this will now be the coverall thread for people asking about wheel fitment/sizing. A few online resources are listed below and the thread will be added to and kept relevant as people post various questions & info.]

For those of you who are wanting to know what size tyres you should be running to keep rolling radius the same, and what effect changing the width or offset of your wheels will have, here are some useful sites:

Tyre/wheel size calculator

Another tyre size calculator

Wheel offset calculator

Standard wheel/tyre/offsets:

4-stud Corrados - 6.5x15", ET35, 195/50-15 or 185/55-15

5-stud Corrados - 6.5x15", ET43, 205/50-15

Wheel Fitment, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error Calculator (thanks to stereoflaver)

Insert your existing wheel and tyre specs, and the desired size, and the outcome is shown on the diagram. Bear in mind most tyre manufacturers vary slighty from the specs, and that it could be dangerous to run tyres on wheels they aren't designed to fit. The strut shown in the diagram is for show only - Don't worry if the wheel looks like it fouls!

Edited by dukest

Hi all, looking at getting some new wheels to replace diddy speed lines does any one know or have fitted this wheel size 5x100 et32 8j with 205/40 r17 tyres will they fit and how low can you drop before arches need rolling etc, some pics with corrados with 17s would be good to get a feel for how it would look.

Thanks for looking.

look at big ben's car with the compomotive's on it - they are ET30 at 8J. I believe there is some rubbing with that set up but basically, with even a small to average drop, if you go any way above a combination of ET35, 7.5J and 205 width tyres then you should be prepared for some possible rubbing in corners/compression/when carrying passengers. thats not guaranteed, but the risks start there.

Edited by dukest

What wheels are they? On standard arches I have run in the past 8x17in ET35. As soon as I went to ET30 the front rubbed. Rears were fine. That was on ~50mm lowering.

Wheel Fitment, Tyre Stretch, Rolling Radius and Speedometer Error Calculator

Insert your existing wheel and tyre specs, and the desired size, and the outcome is shown on the diagram. Bear in mind most tyre manufacturers vary slighty from the specs, and that it could be dangerous to run tyres on wheels they aren't designed to fit. The strut shown in the diagram is for show only - Don't worry if the wheel looks like it fouls!

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

will 7.5j et35 16 wheels fit a 16v? i know they will fit under the arches, just not sure about it catchin the springs!

hi ppl, looking into getting banded steels for my vr6, not sure on the dimensions i wanna go for yet, i still need to get the steelies, but what would be the ultimate best look dimensions with no modifications {other then the banding} and no rubbing, i.e wheel size, offset and width, thanks..

will 17x8.5 brock b1 rims with et 13 fit my corrado vr6 lovered by 40mm thanks

I would imagine that this would need some kind of arch rolling to avoid rubbing unless you drive very slowly!

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

hi ppl, looking into getting banded steels for my vr6, not sure on the dimensions i wanna go for yet, i still need to get the steelies, but what would be the ultimate best look dimensions with no modifications {other then the banding} and no rubbing, i.e wheel size, offset and width, thanks..

if you dont want to do any other mods then 8 is as wide as you want to go and Et30 as low in offset terms. i dont know that you're able to adjust offset to your choice while banding though, it will just be varied from its original value by as much as the steel is widened?

if you dont want to do any other mods then 8 is as wide as you want to go and Et30 as low in offset terms. i dont know that you're able to adjust offset to your choice while banding though, it will just be varied from its original value by as much as the steel is widened?

What about 17 x 8 et35 with a 215 40 17 tyre on a 40mm lowered VR

Edited by dukest

You should be ok with that most of the time although 205 tyres always give you more breathing space.

You should be ok with that most of the time although 205 tyres always give you more breathing space.

Cheers, with the 215's i would'nt have any stretch on the 8" wide rim tho would I?

I'd rather have a bit more rim protection as the misses has a close friendship with the local kerbs, and my parkings not perfect either!

I've spotted some alloys I really like they are 16 x 8 and the is ET37 but they'll need adapters to fit. So say add another 20mm for the adapters.

So what are my chances of getting away with these without having to touch my arches?

Has anyone run 205/55 15s and do they rub anywhere with a gentle drop of 40ish mm?

And what offset would be needed with a 15x7 rim?

Mine's a '90 16v

Thanks

Will 17*7.5 et35 wheels with 215/40 17 tyres fit a VR6 without any issues on a 40mm drop?

I cannot decide over 205/40, 215/40 or 215/35 on above mentioned wheels. Cost is not an issue for the tyres and the main concern is comfort and no rubbing issues.

Any input appreciated as I cannot decide. I'm currently running 195/40 17 on these rims but the ride is a bit harsh and I don't like the stretch look that much (the tyres came with the wheels when I bought them but now need replacing). I would also like a fairly straight side wall and with some kind of rim protection as it's too easy to kerb the alloys atm and they will be refurbed before I fit any new tyres.

Cheers,

Dutch

probably best for you to go 215/40 then as you should be ok at et35 even though 205 would be the normal choice. hopefully with 215 you'll get a bit of protection and not much stretch without rubbing. 215/35 would be a step back from where you are i would say. check out the calculators above to see the difference in sidewall height with the various options. if you're on coilovers obviously you can adjust height for rubbing.

Thanks for the advice. I'm on coilovers so like you say can adjust if necessary. I did do some searching before posting, but wasn't 100% clear if 215/40's would rub with my wheel size and offset. My current wheels and tyre sizes give a sidewall of 3.1 inches according to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html, and 215/40 would be 3.4 and 215/35 - 3 inches. From a comfort point of view the 215/40 would be the better option I guess and give virtually no stretch?

I think I'll be going for 215/40 Conti SP3's then, unless you know of a better option with some rim protection?

R,

Paul

hi guys ,

Iv seen some borbet a's for sale and desparatley want them !!!!!

Just thought id check than they will go straight on my vr with no problems????

details of wheels...

fronts: 7.5jx16

rears: 9jx16

pcd : 5x100

7.5" offset 20

9"offset 15

7.5" tyres 195/45/16

9"tyres 215/40/16

the car is lowered 40mm on jamex springs

thanks in advance

joff

yes, sounds like that should be ok, you might get some rubbing when pushing on though

thanks for quick response,

cheers

joff

Hi, just to let any one know who was thinking of getting the calibre vintage wheels they won't fit over 288mm brakes, some spacers will be needed to stop spokes being ruined by the caliper.

I have BBS RCs 16, 7.5j, ET35, 30mm drop. Current tyres are 195/45/16 but two are getting low so I want to replace all four.

The stretch is a little much for my liking - I'd prefer to go to 205/45/16 or even 215/40/16. I am worried that the latter may give me too harsh a ride and be close to rubbing, but the former may still be too stretched.

The car's a daily, so rubbing really isn't an option, and the ride needs to be as good as possible.

Any thoughts on whether it will rub or not, and whether the ride will be nasty on the lower profile tyres? Any pics of 205/45 on 7.5j to give me an idea of how much they will stretch?