jimpy66

How do you make door handles work better?

Drivers door, with most wear, opens fine, but the 'feel' is terrible. the latch only opens at the very end of pulling the handle out and opens with a 'snap'. You just know it's going to give in eventually. What needs to be changed/adjusted to make it almost like new again?

Agree with the Dave16v kit. You could also wear a pair of cream leather hot pants whilst opening/closing to see if it makes any difference

You may need the door handle repair kit from Dave16v. Worked for me and many others.

Ok- I thought I read somewhere already that the kit only fixed what was broken, but didn't make it open better or make handle 'tighter'. Yours better though?

Agree with the Dave16v kit. You could also wear a pair of cream leather hot pants whilst opening/closing to see if it makes any difference

Funny you should say that- did try, but no good. Maybe I should ram the handle up your ass and see if its better?

Dave's kit helped sort mine after it snapped and it felt better after too, but also pay close attention to the door pin on the pillar. Adjusting it slightly can help, but it won't stop the small arm in the handle snapping one day so def worth doing in advance in your own time. Mine snapped whilst I was in France...doh!

Yeah, i'm sure it's a 15mm. Might be pretty solid on tho. They adjust a few mm up and down. If the door hinges have sagged ( even imperceptibly), it puts more downward pressure on the pin. Moving it down 1 or 2mm can make a nice difference. Again tho, one day you'll need to do the hinges...lol

Funny you rarely hear of Corrado door hinges sagging. Wonder how much longer before we all suffer, then find there are no hinges for sale anywhere!

you cant fit new hinges without cutting the old ones off and rewelding new ones on, bodyshop didnt really want to touch it, alignment would be a sod.

Got handle repair kit and set about fitting it today, but when I took off handle and realised how short of grease everything was, I didn't fit kit yet- oiled and greased all parts, adjusted the door pin to perfection, glued in the window runner rail (notorious spot weld had rusted away like they do), refurbed the leather parts of the door card, refixed the trim, put it all back together and now have a door that opens and shuts sweetly- you can almost hear angels singing its so bloomin' glorious! Happy days :thumbleft:

Beat me to it! I took mine apart and greased it the other day after 6 years of stiffness. Its like a new handle now, opens with my little finger! Why didn't I do it earlier!

Sounds interesting, the door handle on the passenger side of the valver is extremely stiff to open, and then it remains in the out position even when the door is open.

Looks like I'll have to figure out who to take it apart and grease it up :)

Sounds interesting, the door handle on the passenger side of the valver is extremely stiff to open, and then it remains in the out position even when the door is open.

Looks like I'll have to figure out who to take it apart and grease it up :)

It's so easy, it would be a sin not to! Open the door and there's a screw or bolt on the end of the door in line with the handle. Screw it out (some are reverse thread for some perverse reason), slide the handle to the side away from this bolt (left or right depending on the door) and it just swings out and comes off. Grease better than oil for this cos it lasts longer.

The door pins on the bodywork are worth a replacement at £2 each as they make a suprising difference to the way the door opens and closes.

Pat,have you got the part numbers for the door pins ?

new door pins, grease the lock mechanism and handle mechanism, its the way forward. I did this with mine when I first got it, and they both open so smooth. I may not need the spares ive bought in paranioa because of the last corrado i had.