MonkeyVR6

Interesting bit of Corrado history...

Hi guys,

As I'm selling the car, I've been looking through all the paperwork I have on it; something I've not done since Sept 2007 when I bought the car...since then I've just been adding paperwork to the pile so to speak.

I discovered that including me, and the previous two owners, it looks like we've spent some £10k during its life! This obviously doesn't include petrol or insurance.

More interestingly, in early 1995, my Corrado had 4500 miles on it and was bought by a guy who traded his Fiat Tipo GT in (for £4000) and bought my car for £20,500! I never really realised they cost that much! In 1995, that was a hell of a lot of money for a 2nd hand/nearly new Volkswagen!

Edited by MonkeyVR6

More interestingly, in early 1995, my Corrado had 4500 miles on it and was bought by a guy who traded his Fiat Tipo GT in (for £4000) and bought my car for £20,500! I never really realised they cost that much! In 1995, that was a hell of a lot of money for a 2nd hand/nearly new Volkswagen!

Hence the reason they didn't sell many.

The corrado is not the most expensive VW of the era, that goes to the Passat highline(IIRC) at some 22k starting price.

Even an entry level valver with keep fit windows was 18k on the road back in '89. Add in some options like electric windows and some recarro seats and you are up to 20k quickly. You can also see why so many people went for the leather option, at £800 on a car that cost 20k it's not a huge amount more to spend.

mine came with loads of adverts from autotrader etc from the late 90's of corrados for sale.

found mine on there, the chap piad £17.5k for it.

weird seeing all the old prices etc back then

Even an entry level valver with keep fit windows was 18k on the road back in '89.

Which was a hell of a premium over a £13K OTR Golf GTI 16V.

Interesting how the tables have turned now though. Now the top of the range Golf costs more than the top Coupe. The likes of which hasn't been seen since the Golf Limited, which cost £25K!!!

Personally I don't think £30K for a Scirocco R is any less ridiculous than £20K for a Corrado VR6 was in 1995, but at least back then, VW were perceived as high quality cars. Now they are very much middle of the road, which everyone can see except Volkswagen.

The only 'interesting' info on mine was it being bought by a Doctor from Scotts of Sloane square.

I was taking some trim of the car last night to look at some wiring and found an old ebay advert for it folded up about 8 times shoved there! It was only the bit with photos - hasn't changed much! Worth keeping though.

Worst thing about the Scirocco R is that as it's a VW coupe you don't get the 4 wheel drive fitted, which comes on the Seat and Skoda R models.

Ironically the limited Golf would have been the one to buy, they still hold bloody good residual values compared to a Corrado but as they only made 70 odd that's not really suprising; still the most powerful engine VW ever made until the R32 some 16 years later..

Was it my imagination or did Evo magazine do a Golf R versus G60 Limited test last year? Or was it a Rallye? I just remember flicking through it at Tesco and thinking that was a good idea to see how VW 4WD cars have evolved over the years.

And yeah, £31K for a 4WD Golf R seems like good value over a FWD £30K Rocco R. £1000 is very cheap for a full Haldex setup and all the benefits that go with it :D Again, it boils down to looks, although VW were very sneaky putting the magnetic dampers on it as standard, to make it handle better than the FWD Golf. They clearly still have some of the Corrado marketing in them....

I think you'll find that back in the day £20,500 was the price for a base car. If you wanted leather, aircon, headlight washers, cd changer - all that stuff was extra

My own car was a Nothelle tuned car with bespoke interior. Original cost back in 1993 was over £28,000. unsurprisingly they sold even less of those than Volkswagen did. Indeed I believe there are at best as many Nothelle cars in the UK as there are Campaigns.

How did nothelle tune it and what model do you have?

Engine tweaks for about 225bhp IIRC, a different grille and some really unusual wheels..

Mine was a company car from someone who worked at Bearings Bank before it collapsed in the mid 90s, It was supplied with a letter from the bank offering the car as part payment of a salary when the guy was made redundant.

The history also shows a hefty labour invioice to correct the ashtray which was dropping down rather than a smooth drop on press of the button.

The Nothelle I had was actually Nothelle's press car, and is the one which was reviewed in VW Driver magazine at the time. The engine had a flowed head and some bits which allegedly took it up to 215bhp. The car also had bespoke suspension (I sold the bespoke springs to Hasan last summer), bespoke leather interior, signature steering wheel and mats, plus the aircon.

The car was originally also supplied with some very fetching (not) 16" wheels. In web photos they also came with twin headlamps but my car never had those for some reason. But I've recently put some in pro headlights on so (in a kind of way) I've attended to that detail :)

Mine was a company car from someone who worked at Bearings Bank before it collapsed in the mid 90s,

Ha ha, wasn't Nick Leeson was it?

Anyone else got a Corrado with a 'tainted' past? :lol:

Ha ha, wasn't Nick Leeson was it?

Anyone else got a Corrado with a 'tainted' past? :lol:

:)

Nah, It was my first thought, But this guy worked in their Accounts Dept.

:)

Nah, It was my first thought, But this guy worked in their Accounts Dept.

And it looks like Baring Bank employed creative accountants. Do you think the car went through their or his tax return at a true value? It probably went through valued at peanuts to avoid paying more NIC and PAYE. If they had a sense of humour they could have branded it the Nutella Corrado :)

That's funny, I thought mine was the order of £26k, but I admit that's from memory. I thought I saw a 1994 price list years ago and it was £24k for the VR6 with £2k for full leather interior.

Maybe I'm totally imagining it!

Clarification: I bought it at 8 years old, so it's not like I forgot paying £26k for it!

Edited by aclwalker

Mine was owned by an advertising agency in London i found out they did/do various advertisements for VW's and other manufacturers. Too bad they never did an advertisement for the corrado storm as i think mine would have been the star of the show

Was it my imagination or did Evo magazine do a Golf R versus G60 Limited test last year? Or was it a Rallye? I just remember flicking through it at Tesco and thinking that was a good idea to see how VW 4WD cars have evolved over the years...

I bought that evo - I'm 99% certain it was a normal Golf Rallye.

@corozin, what was the actual full list of extras on the Nothelle?

Any pics of your one? Were the nothelles a specific VIN range or how would you recognise a real one in case someone dressed one up?

Edited by Mike2006