sexybourbon

splutter and dying after a mile !!

my 2.0 16v has started to play up and i cant find the reason why, this morning on the way to work i drove about a mile and all was fine shes a bit slugish in a morning but always goes and never cuts out but this morning on the way to work after a mile or so it totally bogged down in fourth and then 3rd and so on all the way to 1st until i managed to stop at the side of the road , it cut out and would not start the first few attemps it would turn over fine start then splutter and sounded like it was misfiring and popping out the exhaust before cutting out again

if i started it with my foot flat to the floor it would rev up but trying to feather the trottle to keep it going just wouldnt work .

after about 15 to 20 attemps to start it would get better then last attempt it just fired up like normal reved freely and no spluttering !!!can anyone help with this or any advice iv bought a fuel filter and air filter just as a precaution and my mechanic has cleaned out the dizzy sensor with proper cleaner , its also had a new dizzy in the last month and rotor arm iv checked all the leads and they seem fine asweal so do all the plugs

it only does it when the engine is cold im just stumped as to why it stops then starts again and runs fine

when it went to dg auto tech they said all was well and seemed good so what could it be ?? any help would be great as i dont really enjoy breaking down every morning

cheers in advance i really need it sorting

Would this only happen when the engine is cold tho if it is a split pipe ? Could the pipe be warming up and maybe partly sealing again when its more pliable ?? Im out here as we speek trying to sort it so thanks for the heads up ill have a. Heck now

Could maybe be your 5th injector?..........which only gets used when its cold......puts in extra fuel until engine warms up (as far as i'm aware)...........my old valver had a faulty one which just kept fueling.......unplugged the power from it and all was well............ I'm sure someone with proper knowledge will be along soon.

Good Luck mate

The valvers are renowned for being a bitch when cold, mine was a nightmare when it wanted to be. If its only doing it when cold I would look towards fifth injector and ISV. Try taking the top off the metering head and lifting up the circular balance while cranking it over, see if that does anything. I would definitely check for vacuum leaks though!

Cheers guys its been fine today i have no idea why !! Not thats its a bad thing but i will try checking the fifth injector i had no idea there was one can you explain where it is as i wouldnt no wer to look also wat would taking the top off the metering head do swiftkid im not sure thats all and i had a good look round last nite and there was not cracks or leaks anywhere not that i could find

Iv been told that if the dizzy seal is leaking a bit of oil through this can lead to bad running iv priced one up 85 quid grom stealers

Hope someone whos had this problem might be able to help more as im confused

Ahh cheers easypops i thaught that was justva senso i will have a look tomorrow ! Am i right in thinking that this would need to be a new item as the injectors are lets say not worth cleaning

fuel filter? pump on the way out? My valver's pump has just packed up, it has juddered a bit recently. So I thought I'd wait for the MOT before changing the filter but today it just died on me and hasnt started since :9

Well when it broke down the other day i got a new air filter and a fuel filter just so i could rule those things out as jobs done but i didt get chance to do the fuel filter as the bolts that hold it together looked very corroded and i didnt want to be paniking about at half nine last nite lol

I hope the fuel pump isnt on the way out sounds expensive lol and i am skint

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Well when it broke down the other day i got a new air filter and a fuel filter just so i could rule those things out as jobs done but i didt get chance to do the fuel filter as the bolts that hold it together looked very corroded and i didnt want to be paniking about at half nine last nite lol*

I hope the fuel pump isnt on the way out sounds expensive lol and i am skint*

the fact it's intermittent would suggest fuel delivery - i.e. either the lift pump (tank) or roller vein pump (under car), a new fuel filter is a good start, once its off cut it open and see what sort of gunk you have in there!

the cold start injector is controlled by a thermotime, so it only ever operates for about 15 seconds when the block temp is below 60degrees iirc. if it was overpriming/ stuck on there would be a strong smell of fuel?

if you're gonna keeo the car you really should invest in this book - helped me out loads on all my valvers http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/STUF/POR_STUF_BKHOWT_pg9.htm

I had the 5th injector unplugged for about 4 years after it was diagnosed as faulty.......still started first time every time cold or not.......if it was me i'd just unplug it to see if it makes any difference, cant do any harm

Where abouts are you in Hull out of interest? If im around your neck of the woods anytime soon I could pop round for a look

That would be great mate im in east hull just near the asda bilton down fleet estate

I dont even mind coming to you if ya cant be arsed to drive mate it would help us rule out whats not causing it so i can get it sorted

Ahh and just to let you know i priced yhe cold start injector up just out of curiosity and the price ....... 105 english pounds lol expensive for one injector surley