shaunVR6

mk 4 stub axle swap

Not with out alot of machining of parts IIRC. You thinking for the barrel style bearings instead of tapered?

No - bolt spacing different - you need to use one from a Lupo / Polo

Got any more details mate? Same bearing as the MK4?

I'm getting fed up with taper bearings tbh! Would love to fit the newer stub axles / hubs!

Same bearing as the mk4, but the bolt spacing of the mk2/3/Corrado. The Polo uses a single-piece disc, rather than the mk4's hub and disc setup. Not sure which calipers the Polo uses - probably cheap mk3 cast iron ones rather than the expensive mk4 ally ones. Apparently the Corrado calipers do fit though.

I want to do this on my mk2, but haven't found a Polo with rear discs in the scrappers yet, and at £180-ish for the stub axles I ain't buying new ones!!!

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be better about these bearings over taper bearings?

The Polo 6N2 (Mk5) TDi has rear discs in 4x100 with the decent bearings. The car uses Mk4 Golf style alloy calipers so everything will transfer straight onto a 4-stud Corrado. Incidentally, it does have a seperate disc and hub (exactly like the Mk4 Golf).

I know this because I spent a lot of time working on the ex's 6N2 so pretty familiar with the workings. The 6N2 GTi has the same brake set up too and there's plenty being broken so could be an ideal source of spares.

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be better about these bearings over taper bearings?

Over a correctly fitted taper bearing and with standard wheels and tyres, very little to be honest.

The main problems with them are incorrect fitment and big wheels / tyres wearing them out. It's an old school bearing and needs careful setup and a lot of dealers and young technicians just don't have the right expertise with them, so many are fitted poorly and cars end up failing MOTs as a result.

The newer bearings are fit and forget and don't have play in them, but they're expensive mind!

Bit confused on the Lupo (2002) stubs. It's showing as a seperate hub / disc arrangement, and 4 stud too, so won't be of any use to VR6s. Can part 18 be changed for one off a MK7 Polo, which is 5 stud?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45504[/ATTACH]

What's also interesting in that diagram is VW deem taper bearings only worthy of use on the low spec drum brake model of Lupo, but were fine on a 150mph Coupe in the 90s?!?!? :lol:

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Taper bearings are fine and last ages if fitted correctly but this is just a more modern solution even though VW have moved on a generation since with a bolt on solution. This makes bearings more expensive though as they are integral with the hub so cost £50-£70 a side. On the upside you can change discs on there own and (in theory) the bearing should handle a higher torque loading.

On a 4 Stud car you use the Polo / Lupo Setup with a spacing plate that holts the carrier, use MK4 carriers and calipers along with the polo disc and pads, not sure about ABS sensor fitment though so this could be an issue.

On a VR I think you'd just use the above but with the MK4 Golf bearing for 5 stud and matching disc - it's a bit of a mismatch of parts!

Other things to think about are using the vented rear setup from the 4 Motion etc on a VR using the appropriate calipers etc.

There is a guide with some good pics on CGTI about doing this to a 4-stud.

Edited by Supercharged

Like the sound of the vented setup and I think the MK7 Polo hub will fit on the Lupo stub, which could be a winning combo.

And yep, the move to a more modern, simpler setup was no doubt done to make servicing quicker and easier - i.e. changing the disc on it's own and leaving the bearings put.

Like the sound of the vented setup and I think the MK7 Polo hub will fit on the Lupo stub, which could be a winning combo.

And yep, the move to a more modern, simpler setup was no doubt done to make servicing quicker and easier - i.e. changing the disc on it's own and leaving the bearings put.

I think the issue is a lot of modern technicians don't understand how to fit a taper bearing to make it last - how many people on here moan about replacing them every year or so - I've had this with pattern parts but my current genuine ones have done over 60k now, ones on my mums MK3 golf are original and have done 120k although one is starting to get a bit rough now.

It was i was looking around and found a complete rear stubb axle and disc setup, vented but not off a 4 motion,so thought it mite be an easy enough swap ...

wonder if it would be possible to take beam etc to a machine shop to marry them up mmmm

Toledo V5 170 BHP 20V have vented rears and 312mm fronts.