andycowuk

Sunroof Mech - suitable donor cars for spares?

Hi All,

I'm having the usual problems with the corrado sunroof - left side sticking due to a damaged rear runner....

Its all out and stripped down, and I've heard various stories about what mechanisms are compatable to put back in there, I will use my roof skin in the new mech, and I dont want the Passat moonroof conversion. I know that the cassettes/mechs for the early and late corradoas are the same, but the motors differ.

So my question is - what frames and or internals could I butcher to give me a working roof again; I've heard that the internal parts in the mechanisms are the same in golf 2/3, A3, passat etc??

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by andycowuk
Spelling

I replaced my sunroof mechanism with one from a Seat Toledo. It's been fine for the past 2 years or so.

Can confirm the internals of a Golf Mk3 Glass roof are the same.

Frame is different and the glass panel although fits size wise sits too proud of the roof line and is likely to cause wind noise.

Would imagine B4 Passat internals will be the same along with Seat Toledo.

The repair kit is still readily available from the dealer - I got one about 4 weeks ago - although in the long run you might be better replacing it with a more reliable one - although I have my suspicions that the Corrado one is no worse than any other, it's just that they have not been lubed and checked according to the service schedule.

Thanks guys, this is a good start...

I replaced my sunroof mechanism with one from a Seat Toledo. It's been fine for the past 2 years or so.

The full shooting match including the frame or just the sliders/regulators?

Can confirm the internals of a Golf Mk3 Glass roof are the same.

Frame is different and the glass panel although fits size wise sits too proud of the roof line and is likely to cause wind noise.

Would imagine B4 Passat internals will be the same along with Seat Toledo.

In the corrado you have a component on each side, that is forward of the rear runner to control the roof liner - its not on the Mk3, but I assume it can be added back in during assembly?

The full shooting match including the frame or just the sliders/regulators?

Everything bar the actual sunroof panel itself, IIRC; it was just a case of unbolting the old one and replacing it. Of course I picked the one day that week that it rained to do it.

Everything bar the actual sunroof panel itself, IIRC; it was just a case of unbolting the old one and replacing it. Of course I picked the one day that week that it rained to do it.

how much did it cost? I'm on my 2nd sunroof so it would be good if the next one was new.

which week in the last 25 years did it only rain one day!?!?!

That's good to know - I'll look out for toledo's being broken.... anyone else got some experience with sunroof mech butchery with parts from other cars?

Thanks

Andrew

how much did it cost? I'm on my 2nd sunroof so it would be good if the next one was new.

I can't remember, but it wasn't expensive. I got it from an ebay breaker...

I can't remember, but it wasn't expensive. I got it from an ebay breaker...

Sorry I meant the repair kit from the dealers.

About £50 for both sides when I did my roof.

After all that effort it still didn't work. Turned out to be the motor, which is a "think of a price and triple it" VW special. Then add VAT on top.

One thing I did notice during the rebuild was how tight the cable guides run in the subframe. No wonder the poor old motors give up the ghost so early in life. Probably why VAG had to have a special grease developed for it.

Was about the same for mine - the rear water guides and the front are also available, although they cost about €30 each.

Once again talking about VAG superlube! lol: