Yandards

Seat Bolsters

Right, ordered one yesterday, drivers right hand one, and they are now obsolete.

So given that most folk has front seats in varying states of repair does anyone still have a brand new one in a bag?

The reason I ask is that there are quite a few companies around that will make foam bolsters etc from a pattern, no idea on prices but there is a German company that will do a production run in batches of 100.

It's either that or I am ordering some seat foam that is 24" x 6" tube and making my own with an electric carving knife..

Good idea Yan. There must be places in the UK that also manufacture bolsters surely? I'll have a search too.

I know newton commercials do bolsters for the mk1...

I know the middle seat base is different but the side bolsters are similar off the top of my head, if not it'd give you a good base for ya carving knife!

http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk/cars/vw/product.jsp?ref=3198&model=25&type=1

Humn, interesting I had completely forgotten about Newton.

Stripped the drivers seat of the VR6 down and had a good dig through ETKA comparing various part numbers to see what's close. I have also stripped down a Mk 2 Goof GTI passenger seat that I had laying around (don't ask).

The Goof seat base is a 1 piece molding, however the 'rocco and early Mk 1 goof stuff is much the same as a Corrado in terms of seat base design, the MK 2 backrest panel is the same item on a Corrado so that is an easy swap and they are still available new as well.

The Mk 1 item on the Newton site looks a little too chunky and appears to short of depth in the bolster - the mounting for the side is a lot lower that the Corrado which has very high bolsters.

I actually think this might be the best bet in terms of fitment, although trying the spare set of Recarro bolster covers on the 'good' side of the drivers seat is not too promising.

Might just be easier to give Newton a ring and see if they want to start making some new ones!!

The Mk1 and Mk2 also share the backrest panel so I don't think VW changed the seat design much over the years. I had a nose on ETKA and the first 3 digits are different on the part numbers but otherwise they are identical. Newtons also sell a foam repair kit to fix the bolsters and seat bases which should fit any seat regardless.

If its of any use, the cabbies seats are out just now, I can measure the seat bolsters for you so you can compare the rados, even if the mk1 foams are too big they may be fine to carve down for a corrado seat.

I'm not sure as she always threaterns to bin them... But I should still have the front seats from the rally spec raddo up at the in laws. passenger side foams are like new on that if you get stuck.

On a completely random note, check out http://www.autoleathers.co.uk

While you have the seats dismantled you may as well recover them in leather... fews guys on the mk1 forum have used them with mixed results, basically buy the leather kit and a decent set of hog ring pliers and by anyones standards, thats a cheap retrim!

The Mk1 and Mk2 also share the backrest panel so I don't think VW changed the seat design much over the years. I had a nose on ETKA and the first 3 digits are different on the part numbers but otherwise they are identical. Newtons also sell a foam repair kit to fix the bolsters and seat bases which should fit any seat regardless.

If its of any use, the cabbies seats are out just now, I can measure the seat bolsters for you so you can compare the rados, even if the mk1 foams are too big they may be fine to carve down for a corrado seat.

I'm not sure as she always threaterns to bin them... But I should still have the front seats from the rally spec raddo up at the in laws. passenger side foams are like new on that if you get stuck.

On a completely random note, check out http://www.autoleathers.co.uk

While you have the seats dismantled you may as well recover them in leather... fews guys on the mk1 forum have used them with mixed results, basically buy the leather kit and a decent set of hog ring pliers and by anyones standards, thats a cheap retrim!

If you could get some photos of the mk 1 items and dimensions that would be brilliant Paul, it not I would be interested in the passenger seat from the rally spec raddo as a donor item :).

Going to give Newton a bell this morning and see what I can get out of them, they should be able to tell me the dimensions of their cabby bolsters and I can give them some sizes for the rado ones over the phone.

Right, been doing my research and been out with the measuring tape.

As the covers are still on my seats measuring the foam is tricky but the complete side panel including material and seat bolster measure

520mm long

100mm at its lowest point, where the seat back meets

180mm at its tallest point

and 70mm wide.

These are rough...

On checking the wiki guide to replace the seat bolsters and comparing photos you can see they are remarkable similar

Photo0431.jpg

IMGP5663.jpg

The corrado seat base appears to sit lower in the frame and dips slightly just past the centre

I would lay a pretty good bet that the mk1 bolster would fit well or be easyily adaptable to fit.

Cheers Paul.

I think the Mk 1 ones are not quite high/long enough.

Have emailed Newton commercial to see if they are interested in producing some items for the Corrado and if I order a Mk1 bit and it's no good will they have it back.

Will keep you updated.

Yan, I can always pop up there and have a word if needed... only up the road and want to get a heel pad sewn into my original mats

I would be interested in a right hand bolster for my driver seat, if you manage to sort any out.

ditto - interested in drivers right hand bolster and probably the passenger left one as well!

Is the part number different for the right hand bolster on the passenger seat and drivers seat?

I just used a right hand side passenger seat bolster to replace the right hand drivers seat bolster as they are identical, pretty much any second hand passenger side right hand bolster should be in near perfect condition as they don't suffer from people dragging their arses over them.

Is the part number different for the right hand bolster on the passenger seat and drivers seat?

I just used a right hand side passenger seat bolster to replace the right hand drivers seat bolster as they are identical, pretty much any second hand passenger side right hand bolster should be in near perfect condition as they don't suffer from people dragging their arses over them.

Same part number,but as the youngest seat is 16 years old,new one's would be a better bet !

I replaced mine last year,but if a GB goes ahead,put my name down for one .

Have you contacted Thorsten at VW Classic Parts to see if they are putting it in there lineup?

I ordered one for my green Corrado in 2009 and it was only manufactured a couple of years previous to that!

The company I'm working for at the moment make mine blast protection seating amongst other things and we get the seat foams made by a company called Automotive Trim Development (google it) whom we deal with on a regular basis and I've got to know the MD quite well.

I talked to him a while ago about making new bolsters for my Corrado seats and he was more than happy to do it. I got all the bits together to give to him but then bought some recaros and lost interest...It's easy for him to make a resin pattern from the existing foams, from which he can then make small numbers of new foams . If you guys still want new foams than I'm more than happy to give the bolsters to him for him to quote on. Or I'm happy to stay out of it and let you guys deal with it how you like either way..

The company I'm working for at the moment make mine blast protection seating amongst other things and we get the seat foams made by a company called Automotive Trim Development (google it) whom we deal with on a regular basis and I've got to know the MD quite well.

I talked to him a while ago about making new bolsters for my Corrado seats and he was more than happy to do it. I got all the bits together to give to him but then bought some recaros and lost interest...It's easy for him to make a resin pattern from the existing foams, from which he can then make small numbers of new foams . If you guys still want new foams than I'm more than happy to give the bolsters to him for him to quote on. Or I'm happy to stay out of it and let you guys deal with it how you like either way..

It would be interesting to get a number from him so we can work out the relative costs.

Neil, not emailed Jurrasic Parts but we could do with a long term supply solution really; it's likely any stock they have will be the odd bits that are left over and then we would have to try to get them to re-manufacture some new ones - couple that with the hassle of paying for the bloody IBAN fees and it becomes a pain in the bum. I know from previous use of Newtown that they make good quality bits and if the MK 1 item fits that would be the easiest solution to the problem. I will drop Thorsten an email just to see what his information is though.

Newton commercial were good enough to send me a drivers side bolster out to try and see if it would fit.

The answer is without some foam cutting I don't really know.

The bolsters are very similar in terms of height and shape but the mk 1 item is wider and around 15mm shorter. I have emailed Newton again asking if they would be interested in producing the bolsters for the Corrado - if that answer is no then I will try the folks KipVR suggested.

Had a reply from classic parts, no luck with bolster from them :(

Odd, I had a look today on vw-classicparts.de and using the wildcard nomenclature ***881378B, there is part number 191881378B available for Eur49.87. I think the 191 prefix is Mk2 Golf isn't it? By the rules of VW part numbering this should be the same as the Corrado part but I haven't got the cahunas to order it... yet!

Odd, I had a look today on vw-classicparts.de and using the wildcard nomenclature ***881378B, there is part number 191881378B available for Eur49.87. I think the 191 prefix is Mk2 Golf isn't it? By the rules of VW part numbering this should be the same as the Corrado part but I haven't got the cahunas to order it... yet!

Don't bother the mk2 Golf seat base is a single piece of foam for the centre and the bolsters.

No go from Newton Commercial, the mk 1 item is no good and they don't want to produce a Corrado item.

So I will try KipVRs contact and see what happens.

I think it would be easy enough to get 100 or so produced as a limited run but then we would need 100 folk on the group buy and the time it takes to send out 100 bolsters is something I don't have until October :)

I stand corrected... If we could get a decent number to sign up. I'm sure someone could make a few quid selling the spare ones on eBay.

...said the man in the orthapaedic shoes.