Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

OT - Peugeot Diesel problems.

Hi guys,

OT I know, but a quick question.

A mate just bought a Peugeot 206 1.9 D. Absolutely pristine example with only 19k miles on it.

Now we had no trouble with it at all driving it back down here from Cranfield (to Reading, about 75 miles).

But this morning in the freezing cold it was spluttering a bit, and it died once or twice. It's fairly low on fuel, but there should be plenty in the tank. Looking under the bonnet it seems there's a bit of air bubbles in the fuel line (there's a clear fuel line that runs to the injectors). I know this is a bad sign, but how bad.. Surely it'll clear up after a short while, and is probably just because the fuel pump got starved at some point. (I can't imagine there's a leak anywhere, cos we'd smell it or at least see it on the ground).

Any pointers/ideas? We're gonna top up with fuel, and I'm going to get him to put some diesel injector cleaner through it. Might be worth swapping the fuel filter too, I guess.

He's more clueless than me, by the way...

Cheers,

Matt.

We think it's just because it sat for so long without being used. Inevitably the fuel system seeped air as it depressurised, and now that's all got to get blown through the system. Perhaps we should drop some ammonia into the fuel..? :)

We hope so. We did do 75 miles in it the other night, but it probably needs a load more to shift the remaining air bubbles...

:) Hi dr mat,

Sounds like you need to bleed the fuel system: If you look at the fuel filter there should be a small bolt/screw at the top ofthe housing where the filter screws into; -assuming the car stills runs, turn this until it's almost all the way out and leave it open until the engine dies. Tighten it up and then turn the engine over until it runs. This, hopefully will have bled the air as the housing should be the highest point of the fuel system.

Might be worth a try.

If the engine doesn't run try opeing the bleed screw anyway and leaving it open for about an hour; having topped up the tank before doing this. Hope this helps.

Phil

The engine runs ok, it just splutters every so often. We'll check that out. Thanks.

You wouldn't happen to know where the fuel filter *is*, would you?

bolt/screw at the top ofthe housing where the filter screws into; -assuming the car stills runs, turn this until it's almost all the way out and leave it open until the engine dies. Tighten it up and then turn the engine over until it runs. This, hopefully will have bled the air as the housing should be the highest point of the fuel system.

Presumably this will result in diesel coming out of the bleed valve?

Once the air has come out, that is..

i dont think the bubbles would have much to do with it as i belive the fuel system is best left alone.

Unlike petrol diesels need the fuel to be more hot in order run, try giving it two or three glow plugs (orange light with a symbol which looks like an audi sign) and then start it and see.

dont bother with the injector cleaning stuff at 19000 its hardly beneficial. it isnt a turbo diesel is it?

Took it for a good 30 minutes drive, no visible air in the system now. It was running fine. We will see how it is in the morning!!

You're right, I doubt it's worth putting injector cleaner through, but that was just a suggestion when I thought it might have picked up gack from the fuel tank.. Now we know it was air..

And on top of that little wonder, it's been overfilled with coolant aswell, right to the brim. Well done, chaps. Will be syphoning that out at the earliest possible opportunity...

If you have air in the diesel lines then it hasnt been bleed properly. Perhaps when a fuel filter change was done or like you say its possibly lost pressurisation although if it has you have to query why.

I would say it just hasnt been bleed properly - so bleed it throughly and see how you get on.

My diesel does same thing if I dont bleed the fuel system properly after changing the filter.....

Have you tried draining the water form the fuel? I t might be worth changing the fuel filter and glow plugs as well. I have had problems on my old cars if i let the fuel get too low!

also you may need to bleed each injecter one at a time while somone spins the engine over.

but like the other guys say change the d filter first,also check the air filter too.

best of luck to you. :)

When I say "leaked over time", I mean this car was parked up for 4 months without being used. I don't think the fuel filter has ever been changed (the car is nearly new!). I don't think there's a leak anywhere, to be honest (we'd smell it, or at the very least see drops under the car), so I just think it's one of those things you have to deal with.

If they don't blow through of their own accord, we'll have no choice but to get the fuel lines bled I think, but in the meantime we'll see how it goes.

Ta for the advice. :)