Sign in to follow this  
blair321

Standard Alarms

hello,

ive just registered here so be nice,

im after buying a corrado and wondered if anyone knew what kind of alarms come standard with them, im trying to get insurance quotes online and its proving difficult without knowing the alarms. im after a 1.8 16v or a g60,

any ideas

cheers

Blair, although some of the std fit alarms were cat 1. I personally would budget for getting a new one fitted. Or at the very least an approved immobiliser. I could help you out with either if you are up North.

Gavin

Welcome to the forum! (We're always nice here! 8) )

1.8 16Vs and most G60s didn't have an alarm or immobiliser as standard when new. :?

You'll find that almost all of them have been fitted with either a Cat2 immobiliser, or a Cat1 alarm since though... 8)

Personally, I agree with Gav... Budget to spend an extra £300 on top of buying the car to rip out the old alarm and have a nice new Cat1 system fitted... That way you KNOW that it's OK, no-one else can have a key that will work and you can prove to your insurance company that you've got a good alarm/immobiliser fitted to the car. 8)

You'll probably find that the online insurance quotes will be horrific too.... Ignore them, get on the phone and call one of the reccommended ones from here... :D

Make sure you mention that you read this forum, some companies now will give a discount for that! 8)

Welcome to the forum! (We're always nice here! 8) )

Personally, I agree with Gav... Budget to spend an extra £300 on top of buying the car to rip out the old alarm and have a nice new Cat1 system fitted... That way you KNOW that it's OK, no-one else can have a key that will work and you can prove to your insurance company that you've got a good alarm/immobiliser fitted to the car. 8)

A word of warning however. I had a malfunctioning Scorpion 5000 alarm which I took to a Clifford dealer to be 'ripped out' and replaced. Apparently its quite difficult to remove all components fully so make sure you go to someone who knows what theyre doing. My car ended up being off the road for a week. Plus if youre having a Clifford installed you'll need the certification.

On the Scorpion 5000 alarm - some insurance companies will only recognise it a s a Cat 2 alarm if you do not have VW certification at install. I know this because on my old C which had a functioning Scorpion 5000, some insurance companies would refuse to recognise it as Cat 1 because I know the early ones did not automatically immobilise after 30 seconds, requiring reset. I don't know if this situation has changed though.

I've got a Cliifford G4 on mine now, but in all honesty I preferred the subtlety of the Scorpion system. 8) 8)

*Mod edit - Sorted the quote for you - Henny*

My '95 VR6 has a Scorpion 5000 system which was main dealer fit, branded "Volkswagen" and is still classed CAT1

ISTR some other talk of Sigma alarms being fitted to toher models?

See http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6712 for some more details...

I thought we'd decided that they *used* to be cat 1 but were declassified in 1998?

That's what I was told by Scorpion themselves...

If you still have the certificate, then I'm sure most insurers would accept that, but without it you're probably on dodgy ground... (I can feel the ground shifting under my feet.)

they are not classified as cat1 if there were fitted after a certain date,as they were fitted to corrados before that date then they are still classed as cat1

they are not classified as cat1 if there were fitted after a certain date,as they were fitted to corrados before that date then they are still classed as cat1

Spot on. It's the date of fitment that affects the classification.

All I'm saying is that that's not what Scorpion told me, unfortunately. As I understand it, they've been dropped to class 2.

EDIT -well actually it's possible they're cat 1, because all they need is a battery backup on the siren, but most didn't have this.

A word of warning however. I had a malfunctioning Scorpion 5000 alarm which I took to a Clifford dealer to be 'ripped out' and replaced. Apparently its quite difficult to remove all components fully so make sure you go to someone who knows what theyre doing. My car ended up being off the road for a week. Plus if youre having a Clifford installed you'll need the certification.

Fitters will tell you anything, I bet they had it out in 10 minutes. Also, no need to go routing about for the conections yourself as someone has already done the job for you. :lol:

Gavin

*mod edit - fixed your quote for you - Henny*