fendervg

fendervg's VR6, a.k.a "The Shark"

Fairplay and changing that looks a horrible job to do !

Edited by Keyo

There’s absolutely no reason at all for the retaining screw to be on the inside, where it is at its most inaccessible.

I used this little guy in the end after trying lots of things including a mini ratchet and bending a screwdriver:

a31485fcff50fa53e62c2c552f167210.jpg

Draper Expert electronics, size 00 Phillips. The shaft is thin and bends quite a lot, so once you hit the screw it will be able to turn it. I guess if the handle was a little shorter it would be even better, but the advantage of this one is that the red top spins, allowing you to apply force to hold it in place.

I removed the upper and lower cowlings and that was it - you could take off the wheel and stalks and unplug some of the wiring for more space, and maybe the seat so you can lie on your back and look up with a torch. If you have an adjustable column there’s a 10mm bolt underneath that needs to come off to remove the handle part to free up the cowling.

Thanks for posting this, much appreciated! I know one day I'll have to go down that path... Nice looking tool btw! 

1 minute ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks for posting this, much appreciated! I know one day I'll have to go down that path... Nice looking tool btw! 

Ha ha - no worries. Just a screwdriver tbh, albeit a slightly bendy one!

But the question is - did you manage to get the little blighter back in!? 

I failed, so just cable tied it in the end! A magnetic screwdriver thin enough would have helped I suppose

1 hour ago, seanl82 said:

But the question is - did you manage to get the little blighter back in!? 

I failed, so just cable tied it in the end! A magnetic screwdriver thin enough would have helped I suppose

Ha ha - I did. I placed the screw in the hole in the plastic tab on the switch, and carefully put it back in and then managed to get the screwdriver on it in the same way.A bit of blue-tack would help as well. Cable tie makes life a lot easier in future, but I wanted to get it back on as it seemed to slide in and out of the casing very easily.