Alex_G60_Fanatic

HELP QUICK! Gear Box: Should i get it?

ok ok.... will this fit? I'll buy it now if it will! I have someone in cornwall that can pick it up for me!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mk3-volkswagon-golf-tdi-gearbox-may-fit-others-/230616393392?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b1cee6b0

I'm wanting to put it on my 91 G60. It looks like a 02A box but how can i tell if its an ASD or a CTN? I'd rather have the CTN...

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

well your all too slow... i bought it! If i get it then it will mean using money i had been saving for coil-overs but still, nice to have i reckon!

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

nice one alex, the code for box is just beside clutch slave cylinder on the bell housing,small flat ledge.Think you may have CTN which is what you want although the ASD came with the balance shift weight too. Ive got an ASD box on mine,first gear is a little long which is a bit of a pain in traffic and getting up ramps on ferries otherwise the box is brilliant. Should see better fuel economy,depends how you use the gears and the torque.Third gear is the best as all the torque is used properly in this gear all the way upto 100 mph

Also reverse uses a helical gear cogs so doesnt make noise in reverse that straight cut gears make.Not important,just info.

By the way i found the original shift tower is better than mk3 one on the box.its slighty different but causes dramas when changing gear,sometimes difficult selection.either way youll need to remove balance weight(only one bolt) as it fouls everything in a g60,especially the boost hoses

Wonder why post hasnt been moved to drivetrain, lol

nice one alex, the code for box is just beside clutch slave cylinder on the bell housing,small flat ledge.Think you may have CTN which is what you want although the ASD came with the balance shift weight too. Ive got an ASD box on mine,first gear is a little long which is a bit of a pain in traffic and getting up ramps on ferries otherwise the box is brilliant. Should see better fuel economy,depends how you use the gears and the torque.Third gear is the best as all the torque is used properly in this gear all the way upto 100 mph

Also reverse uses a helical gear cogs so doesnt make noise in reverse that straight cut gears make.Not important,just info.

By the way i found the original shift tower is better than mk3 one on the box.its slighty different but causes dramas when changing gear,sometimes difficult selection.either way youll need to remove balance weight(only one bolt) as it fouls everything in a g60,especially the boost hoses

Wonder why post hasnt been moved to drivetrain, lol

brilliant response mate thanks. I do hope it is the CTN box, as you say I think my little engine may struggle pulling away untill i up the power. But that will be happening over time :D

I just have to find a way of getting it from cornwall to Dundee now... :bonk:

I love that mate, delivery is going to cost more than the gearbox itself :bonk:

been there,quite a few times

I love that mate, delivery is going to cost more than the gearbox itself :bonk:

been there,quite a few times

I'm going to try and get it to Swindon... That's about 2hours away and that's where my Mum lives... she can hold on to it for a bit until I drive down to visit. I'll pick it up myself then.

if your mum needs rid, you can throw it over to me in Oxford and i'll look after it! :D no problems.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Are these gear boxes just usable on G60 cars or would it fit a VR as well ?

why would you want a longer box on a VR?

It's only 5th gear that I'd like a bit longer for extended motorway cruising - I usually stay in 4th for the naughty stuff!

But would you want a massive rpm drop shifting from 4th to 5th though?

You can swap out 5th gear without removing the gearbox.

And yes, my thoughts entirely Mr Monkey. The VR6 final drive is tall as it is. A CTN 5th would make it incredibly slow and unresponsive in 5th.

But would you want a massive rpm drop shifting from 4th to 5th though?

You can swap out 5th gear without removing the gearbox.

And yes, my thoughts entirely Mr Monkey. The VR6 final drive is tall as it is. A CTN 5th would make it incredibly slow and unresponsive in 5th.

Sorry, Does this mean my g60 (pulling 180+bhp) may get a little sluggish in 5th? well I knew it would get a little slower but i wanted the box for improved fuel economy. Would it be better to try and up the power at some point to get more out of the gears?

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

if your mum needs rid, you can throw it over to me in Oxford and i'll look after it! :D no problems

Ahh cheers Monkey but my mums pub has 3 workshops, I'm sure she can stuff it away somewhere!

i have an ASD box to go in mine just havent got round to fitting it (its been nearly a year!). its also from a mk3 golf tdi. 1st and 2nd are longer, which i think in the G60 will be better than whats in it already and 5th will be better for on the motorway, hopefully getting better MPG.

just for future reference, the company i work for has a scrap yard. so if any one needs anything like this let me know and i'll see what i can do. delivery isnt a prob either

a ASD box on a g60 (around 180 bhp mark)

first gear is little longer which makes it bit of a pain moving off in traffic but very small difference(im a picky guy :lol:) you can feel the engines slower response

second gear is extention of first still feeling the engine response slowly building up

Third is where the engine really pulls and feel that torque all the way upto 100mph(6200 limit)

Fourth is like a in-between gear of orginal fourth/fifth(if you had ATB box) which you can get nearly topspeed but drop-off in power after 5600 rpm if you still have normal cams and ISV not fitted with one-way valve

Fifth gear is really an overdrive gear so dont expect much power til you get over 3000 rpm but youll cruise at 2500 rpm at 70 mph all day and saves fuel

Ive got 690 km on a 55 litre tank,could be a bit more(i chickened out when the needle was not touching the red anymore :lol: ) but that was easy driving all the way,35 minutes of traffic and stayed at the speed limit.out of a mildly modded G60 that isnt bad.

No mods are required for four cylinder boxes using TDI box but keep orginal shifter tower. for VR i think the bell housings are different.in that case take gears out and put them in VR box.

The TDI box is the best mod ive done to date,saves fuel and gives me accelaration where its needed.and i have done 149 mph without overspinning g-lader (5200 rpm in fifth) so you can get to top speed.

Right after that i think i need a brew!!!

good to know!

so forgive me for being thick, theres no LSd in it or needs swapping over (not sure if the G60 box has one anyway). the only thing you got to change over is the shift tower and your good to go?

no its a fair question simong.Its almost identical because its a 02a box but few small differences.

The shifter tower off the mk3 is slighty different and its difficult to engage all gears.you could be able to get first or reverse but then couldnt get fifth and then vise-versa.also the tower has different fittings for the change cables. i spent two hours trying to adjust the mk3 tower,it just doesnt engage gears properly using corrado cable change.

theres no LSD in any 02a box but the differential is slighty different to petrol one and seems to lock more than a normal petrol box.On the petrol box grab the output flange or driveshaft spin it and the opposite side will spin opposite way.diesel box spins the same way!

Its straight bolt-on but use original tower and your good to go!

Here you go guys,took the car out on the autobahn this afternoon just to show you what mk3 diesel box is like

im guessing that was 3rd, 4th and 5th?

if looked like it did that with ease, pretty much 140mph!

hopefully mine will be going in within the next month!

yep starting in third from about 70-80 kph.it was very windy too,i should have picked better day. its hit 245 kph on the flat with no wind before.