Kev_VR6

Corrado Sill Plastic Trim Replacement

Hi everyone,My car is currently in the bodyshop for a respray and the guys have told me that removing this bit of trim (inside of the door - the bit that says 'corrado') will almost definitely result in breaking it so have asked me to supply replacements to stick down afterwards, but found out today that they're obsolete.

There are a few stainless sets somebody is selling on eBay for £30ish but they have a rounded end not square like originals..

.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/250724419833?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D250724419833%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_2975wt_689

Anybody have any success removing their's for a respray, and if so what method did you use?If not I may have to purchase the stainless eBay ones.

Thanks

Edited by Kev_VR6

i took my strips off for respray they are just stuck down with double sided tape,slid a flat chisle under and gentley prised them off,no breakages and bought some more tape on ebay they are back on perfect. they are quite bendy once you get them off so they wont just snap in half etc.

if that helps

Took both of mine off last weekend to have the sills resprayed. No trouble what so ever, held in place with about 5 strips of foam double sided tape. Getting the tape off of the sills needed a little more effort.

The body shop would have to be a tad heavy handed and careless if they manage to snap them!

Yes thanks Tim that helps a lot. You make it sound easy.

They mentioned using a heat gun to remove them and I thought that sounded a bit extreme tbh. I'll offer to go do it myself if they're scared of braking them if that's all it will take. And the eBay ones are always there as a backup plan...

The early trims are like a thin plastic covering, these do come up fairly easy ! The later cars have a more papery finish to them,these are more difficult to remove !

Ahhhh I see. Makes sense then that they think it will be wrecked.

So what is the norm for resprays on later cars - do people just mask up the trim and spray up to it or sacrifice the trim and replace as and when they can get hold of replacements?

I use carp fishing line wrapped over two plastic tubes, to remove my plastic trim from the car, it's like useing a chees wire, but does not scratch the paint.

hope that is of some use, Matt

Lol nice one Matt sounds crazy but as long as it works thats all that matters I guess.Cheers for the tip

Kev,

If you have the thinner ones with the corrado script on them they are self adhesive and may tear/stretch when you try to remove them, a little heat would probably soften them up enough to remove but you would need some good glue to restick them back on afterwards and thats if they come off in one piece.

Good Luck

Cheers Kip, I thought about taking a hairdryer and a wallpaper scraper with me and having a go myself rather than let them use a heat gun on it. Might stand a better chance of survival that way.

I've just removed my drivers side one, but there si some tape still on the body, plus loads on the strip itself - how do you remove this?

Hmm, I was thinking of removing mine altogether...I have seen someone else here that didn't refit them after a respray and really liked the look. I'm thinking of getting some of that clear wrap to protect the area from scratches.

Hmm, I was thinking of removing mine altogether...I have seen someone else here that didn't refit them after a respray and really liked the look. I'm thinking of getting some of that clear wrap to protect the area from scratches.

Thats actually not a bad idea - i've got some polished ss strips with the logo embossed on it that i've puton top, although never really like that look. Where do you get this clear wrap from then?

Hi all,

Just got my first Corrado, a G60 Jet, three weeks ago, spending lot's of time to clear up previous faults etc.

Anyway, to answer the thread, I have used a roll of clear sticky plastic to wrap around books. Works nice, is cheap, and can be bought in bookstores.

Cheers,

Redfox.

All sorted thanks to Dragon Green

They're obsolete but still available here... http://www.vwheritage.com/

Thanks mate

I need one for mine as i had to remove it, its in one peice but its stretched a little :(

how did you find them on that website? as they dont even list parts for the corrado? i tryed searching with no luck, also i belive this to be the correct part # 535 853 A 01C