lukeyy

VR6 High running temperature

Hey,

Noticed lately that my oil temp on my vr has risen whilst driving round, used to sit around 94c but is now 108-112c most of the time.

can anybody shed any light on why this may of happened.

Thanks

Luke

It is at least partly due to the weather. You know what it's like when you get into the car on a sunny day? It's just like that under the bonnet, only much worse. It knocks the top off the engine's performance as well, (hot air, less dense, less oxygen per cubic centimetre).

Those aren't silly temperatures by any means, easily within the reliability limits of modern oils.

Best wishes

RB

As Mr Blassberg said, 112 isnt that high. It had been hot recently. I wouldnt be rushing to do anything - no need to.

My VR never runs at 94 its always closer to the 100 mark. Maybe up to 112 if its on a spirited run.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Is there any other issues as a result of this? mine was running between 110-120 degrees and drinking fuel, turns out my MAF was poorly. Stick it on vagcom and check error codes

maybe it could be the hot weather, im gonna go cheeck the obvious thing now.. see if its got enough water in it. lol, i was thinking it was partially down to the major hot weather as theres no difference in performance.

Is your grille the very late style with the top two slats closed? If, so get yourself a completely open one- this will drop the temp by at least 5C. Otherwise it could be that your stat isn't opening properly, the blue temp sensor isn't reading properly or one of the probs suggested above. Worth seeing if there are any codes.

awesome, i did notice the blue sensor looked a bit dirty, i'll try cleaning that up, think it had a new thermostat quite recently before i got the car. i haven't got vagcom, i got one of those fault code readers, wheres the port for it?

port is under the gear surround. Good info Cazza, I've got a late style grill with a crack in it, think its time the dremel came out!

Opening it up will make quite a difference. The closed grille is good for cold winters, but a really bad idea for the warmer months!

Yep, it's the weather. The silly little Water / oil heater exchanger VW fitted to the VR6 isn't really fit for purpose in the summer months. The larger R32 one is a worthy upgrade but it does have some fitment issues.

As said already, a GOOD oil won't be too flustered by 110+ deg C. Mobil 1 recently launched a 10W/60 "Extended life" fully synth oil for old engines like ours, which contains more anti-friction compounds than normal and viscosity improvers to reduce oil consumption.

There is of course the Mocal oil cooler option, but they over cool during the winter months, even when blocked off!

It could also be a silted up radiator and / or tired water pump (crank driven one). When I replaced both of those on mine, the drop in summer cruise temps was incredible.

Yep, it's the weather. The silly little Water / oil heater exchanger VW fitted to the VR6 isn't really fit for purpose in the summer months. The larger R32 one is a worthy upgrade but it does have some fitment issues.

As said already, a GOOD oil won't be too flustered by 110+ deg C. Mobil 1 recently launched a 10W/60 "Extended life" fully synth oil for old engines like ours, which contains more anti-friction compounds than normal and viscosity improvers to reduce oil consumption.

There is of course the Mocal oil cooler option, but they over cool during the winter months, even when blocked off!

It could also be a silted up radiator and / or tired water pump (crank driven one). When I replaced both of those on mine, the drop in summer cruise temps was incredible.

You should use the thermostat sandwich plate when fitting an oil cooler to prevent over cooling. It also helps get the engine up to temperature nice and fast which makes a big difference to engine life and overall health.

Yeah after changing my rad ive noticed the car runs cooler :D

Its probably wise to get it hooked up to vagcom first and see what the ECU is reading from the blue temp sensor, comparing it to the gauge on the dash. It could be the blue temp sensor is duff or the (yellow i think) that feeds the dash is faulty.

You should use the thermostat sandwich plate when fitting an oil cooler to prevent over cooling. It also helps get the engine up to temperature nice and fast which makes a big difference to engine life and overall health.

I meant a standard Mocal kit, which comes with the 80 degree thermostat plate. The problem in winter is the oil flows through the cooler and back in again considerably cooler (and thicker), so the oil rarely gets above mid 80s on mine, which with a 10W/50 or 60 is a touch on the thick side.