Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

VR6 using oil !

Coming home from work last night my oil warning light flashed on & off a couple of times so I thought "Hello, I'd better check the oil" (silly me hadn't checked the oil in the last 6 months since its last service). Anyway, left it to settle overnight & checked it this morning - wiped the dipstick & re inserted - dipstick was bone dry !

There are definitely no leaks & I've never noticed any smoke, even when starting up.

I know I should check it more often but is this excessive / worrying consumption ?

In the 6 months since its last service I've only done about 2500 miles & oil has gone. If it's gone off the bottom of the dipstick & the oil warning light has just started flashing, how much has it used? Am I looking at possibly valve stem oil seals, or worse?...

Cheers,

Robbo

The VR6's do drink oil mate, I check mine every 2 weeks and the level has usually dropped. nothing to worrry about, just keep it topped up

Check it more often!!!

The top mark to the bottom mark on the dipstick is about a litre, IIRC. You've gone well beyond that if the disptick is bone dry...

Cheers for the swift replies guys. PhatVR6 - come to think of it I didn't check it after the service, a local place I trust 100% did it, but I suppose we all make mistakes! I guess I'll have to keep a regular check on it from now on as dr mat says. :oops:

Yeah sounds about right, I just pour a whole quantum tub in and that takes it to the max, but my Mocal retains half a litre or so your estimate is spot on.

Robbo, next time it's serviced, check on the invoice to see how many litres they put in. If they only put a gallon tub in, then it's a litre short! I think the dry capacity of the VR is 6 litres.

Check spark plugs 1 and 6, if the tips are oil fouled, you're burning.

K

['H3R4POR]The VR6's do drink oil mate' date=' I check mine every 2 weeks and the level has usually dropped. nothing to worrry about, just keep it topped up[/quote']

Same here.... check mine once a fortnight and it usually needs topping up although I dont fill up to max... as find it uses more - I top it up to 3/4 of way then when check it in two weeks its usually dropped down to half ...depends on mileage / hard use.

Scott