winchbietch

Vsr

Wish these weren't so desirable. Sadly the price to performance calculation just doesn't add up and would just want one of these for the originality / OEM+ / rarity factor!

It's better because you don't have to remove it to swap spark plugs - which you do need to do with a Schrick! And it's just a nice desirable piece of original kit :) I think any performance difference between the two is negligable.

The price looks more ridiculous these days when you can get cams and a remap for half the price and achieve similar if not better levels of performance!

To be honest I'd love one. I've been tempted by a couple of schrick's recently but getting the interior sorted out was a higher priority for me. A few minor bodywork issues are probably next on the list. I already have cams and a remap and this would make it the perfect NA setup in my view. Also it's not just about pure performance (the Corrado isn't that quick anymore - if you want speed then buy something else). What I like about the schrick and VSR are the originality and rarity factor.

I may well get one at some point, funds permitting. But I'd certainly not pay this price for it and I have other items on the car I want to get done first before any engine mods.

Whether this is the OP or someone else selling this item, there is no details as to how it improves the engine or anything, just a notion that it is super rare and you should spend 1 month's wages on it.

2p.

£1595 starting bid :lol: No wonder it's had zero interest thus far. I suspect a few gullible lurkers are waiting for the last 30 seconds though.

For that money you could buy an R32 engine, which comes with a genuine VW VSR inlet as standard :D

I was able to buy one of these a few months ago with the start price set at £750 (I recall). I set a budget at max £850 and bid. But you know how it goes - u get a bit carried away and I secured it at £950. Realising I'd overpaid, the guy was good enough to include a few other bits n bobs in the package. This auction has been posted twice and wisely nobody has bid. Nobody asked if the other bits were there either as far as I know: Vacuum; actuator; controller. If not, you'll have a problem. That nice man Vince fitted mine, found a fault with the cam position sensor; made up an actuator; and provided a new controller (wired into the ECU) and then remapped. Power now at 112 bhp without any other mods. Keep watching, the seller might see sense & auction at a more modest price. Its nice to have if only for its 'historical' value. But I think the Schrick will deliver more power (and other minor problems lol)

power now at 112hp...

do you think that's a good mod then?

Yes. If only for it's rarity - they only made 500 world-wide, so at least as 'rare' as a Storm lol. But apart from my problem with the missing actuator and the fact that Vince (of Stealth) had to fashion one for me and then file a bit of the cam cover away to make it work freely, and replace the 'duff' controller, it was a pretty straight forward job. The tricky bit was perhaps splicing the wire into the ECU. Once fitted stays fitted! because, unlike the Schrick (who bought the licence), which I'll admit probably provides more power, you can access the plugs as with the standard plenum. You can also retain the engine cover and HT lead rails. I think one of the tabs on the engine cover had to be removed. But I think I paid as much as it was really worth - I wouldn't pay more. I should add however that so far we have been unable to replace the air-intake box - the angle of the throttle body is different from standard so we've fitted a K&N intake. However I've seen a photo of one fitted on a Canadian VR6 (2.8?) WITH the air-intake in place so I've not given up yet.

"Those in the know" about VSRs know they can use Schrick parts to operate the VSR if the original bits are missing, but it's nice to use the original parts where possible. The bright green vacuum globe the VSR used was a common part on MK2 Golf CLs and the solenoid was common too, but the factory ECU for cars with the VSR did have a different map in it, but getting the whole shebang in one ebay auction is very rare indeed.

I've yet to see any real evidence to see which makes more power, the VSR or Schrick. Probably only a few hp in it.

a for sale thread generating a lot of discussion!

bring back the classifieds system.....? :lol:

a for sale thread generating a lot of discussion!

bring back the classifieds system.....? :lol:

This is not an ad - its a discussion about an ad. If that helps someone to decide whether or not it's worth spending £1500 plus quid ... I thought that was what the Forum was all about!

If that helps someone to decide whether or not it's worth spending £1500 plus quid ... I thought that was what the Forum was all about!

Yes it is, thanks for making my point!

And with reference to this;

This is not an ad - its a discussion about an ad.

Internet pedantry is pretty lame :lol:

I was wondering that too. 112 HP INCREASE? or 112 HP after the mod?

Power NOW (after the mod) an increase of 22 bhp. Blimey if it was 112 increase we'd all want one lol. Some of that may have come from the intake change too of course but otherwise the engine is stock.

I guess from some of the comments I've said enough ... so I'll bow out!

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Last comment: Yes, FishWick, you're right it was a typo (twice I 'spose), and should have read 212 hp. 212 less 190ish = 22.

I was under the impression that the VSR/Schrick improved torque but didn't necessarily increase bhp?

i was under that impression too but i read an old BR motorsport article that said an increase of between 10-15 bhp. God i still want one tho lol anyone got one they want to sell me lol........................ at a sensible price???? i had the chance of buying one about a year ago, but had a few money problems etc came up at the time i was wanting one gutted oh well :(

Hussar i personally think you payed a fair price

i was under that impression too but i read an old BR motorsport article that said an increase of between 10-15 bhp. God i still want one tho lol anyone got one they want to sell me lol........................ at a sensible price???? i had the chance of buying one about a year ago, but had a few money problems etc came up at the time i was wanting one gutted oh well :(

Hussar i personally think you payed a fair price

Okay, I said I would say no more (I don't want to dominate the thread), but ... I didn't get a copy of the graph when mine was fitted - it was Vince who told me the figures (212bhp), and I believe that 'cos I can compare the VR6 with the Storm. 15bhp makes sense (my extra 7 may come from the intake). The top end is unaffected by the mod because the flap opens at about 4,800 revs when normal activity resumes. I'm not an engineer so I don't know why they do that but they go to a lot of trouble, so I guess there's a good reason. I understand that the focus was on bottom to mid-range power (increased torque) by creating positive pressure 0.4 bar(?) in the inlet tract & increasing torque from 245Nm to 260Nm. I think a lot of people when fitting the Schrick manifold also fit 263/268 cams to compliment the mid-range with better top-end power. Maybe the guy will see reason and drop his price ...