Wendy

MFA 2 - Fuel Economy - What is your reading ?

I am stunned - my VR6 reading on the MFA 2 is finally reading an excellent figure 28.9. Never thought I would see that - and all on normal unleaded.

That keeping to 50mph on the trips to work is obviously having an impact. !!!

I've started getting 34-ish recently, which was previously impossible, the best i had iirc when it was an auto was around 28. 60-70mph driving helps, but it still allows for a few redlines!

Drops off though with town driving...

I've had as high as 33.5 for a tankful. My average for the last 5000 miles is just over 30. That's a mix of town, motorway, cross country. I agree that driving at 60-70 seems to improve the mpg compared to 50 so long as it's steady, but it drops off again around 70. What kills it is stop start traffic. It's really worth switching off at the lights. Right now my MFA2 is reading 32.3. The MFA is pretty accurate - to within .1 or .2 I find. I'm an mpg junkie and keep all the stats.

I'm struggling to get mine above 61.1 at the moment, I'm having to take a slightly different route to work which is really affecting the economy.... ;)

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Have to admit though, when I had a VR I used to get about 32mpg on MFA2 over a tankful, a mixture of driving but mostly country lane stuff on the way to work.

I'm struggling to get mine above 61.1 at the moment,

That's twice the distance...your car still makes me smile. in ebay speak...Have you got a Buy It Now?

I'm struggling to get mine above 61.1 at the moment, I'm having to take a slightly different route to work which is really affecting the economy.... ;)

I heard that was because you Derbyshire folk ran on Sheep sh*te! lol:dance:

That's twice the distance...your car still makes me smile. in ebay speak...Have you got a Buy It Now?

I do have a price in my head that I'd let it go for, but whether anyone would be willing to pay that price is another matter! :lol:

I heard that was because you Derbyshire folk ran on Sheep sh*te! lol:dance:

Only the best sheep droppings for my car, thank you very much :)

So, no - one is getting as low as me - and I thought mine was impressive.

Well for me - i guess it is !!!!!

I can get lower than you Wendy.

MAF 2, covered a little over 1040 miles. And some (300 miles or so) was motorway driving at a steady 60 mph, the rest is a 20 minute drive to and from work and the odd trip to Dave 16v's.

MPG is an impressive 23.4! :scratch:

What the ..... I'm getting 19-20 and mine is only a little 16v????

Just found out i have 3 faulty sensors so I guess that's the problem, oxygen sensor, knock sensor and air mass sensor are all shot.

Anyone know where to get these?

The MFA2 shows about 9 liter/100km, converted to mpg it's approx. 26.. But I have ~75% larger injectors than stock... :|

So what I'm really getting is close to 15-16liter/100km, which equals to approx 14.7mpg... And I have the small fuel tank.. And there's only 19 stations in Norway that's selling E85.. Oh the joy... :p

Sitting at 37.4 at the moment... i think the longer drive to work on dual carriageway is helping.

Getting near to 600 miles to a tank if i dont get over zealous with the loud pedal

Before I took mine off the road my OBD2 converted corrado vr6 was averaging 44mpg... i very much doubt that!

The MFA is not the most accurate as it takes vacuum and distance driven into account - I was getting 27.8 average on MFA2 over a year, and 30.1 over the last 7 days commute.

What the ..... I'm getting 19-20 and mine is only a little 16v????

Just found out i have 3 faulty sensors so I guess that's the problem, oxygen sensor, knock sensor and air mass sensor are all shot.

Anyone know where to get these?

Oxygen Senson - Lamba sensor. You can get these in Eurocarparts, but I'd ensure it's Bosch. Knock sensor - Euro should be able to provide this too.

The Air Mass sensor - I am assuming it's what I can a MAF and that might be a bit more tricky, prob best pick up a second hand one.

Get this stuff done and you're car will be transformed!

Elliott, i've seen this loads of times with error codes from the maf and lambda sensor, if i were you I would start with the MAF. What usually happens, which has happened to mine, is that the MAF packs up which is pretty common then sends the fuelling crazy which gives you crap mpg and doesn't run 100%. The lambda sensor then struggles to control the fuelling so throws up an error because it thinks its broken but in actual fact its doing its job right. If you have a late VR you can pick up maf's for pretty cheap but the earlier ones are more expensive and even crappier from what I have heard.

edit: just read back in the thread and realised you have a valver, I'd still try maf first though!

Cheers again, it was just a corroded connector on the lambda connector after all.

I do have other sensors that seem to be bodged and bunged up, they are behind the air box.

Don't want to hijack this thread so I'm listing my problems and fixes over here