Sign in to follow this  
Welsh g60

what air intake?

I want an induction kit for my 91 g60, which (reasonably priced ones) would you people recommend? Untill I get 1 is it worth drilling the air box and if so where & how much?

ta

Chris

Chris, not a fan of induction kits as i have let be known before. My main dislike is that they allow warm engine bay air to be drawn in. Why not adopt the well publisised practice of an airbox mod and K&N filter panel. I have used this conversion on many G60's now and it allways gives good results, when properly executed. If you require any assistance with details i would be happy to help. If you still wish to proceed with your cone filter aspirations, please don't drill your airbox in the interim, i'll buy it from you for my stock cupboard!

Got a VR, I wanna drill it, I've read up on the previous posts etc, but they never seem to be mentioning the VR.. I take it drilling the box has the same results as other models?

Got a VR, I wanna drill it, I've read up on the previous posts etc, but they never seem to be mentioning the VR.. I take it drilling the box has the same results as other models?

Dont drill it, as it'll still suck in hot air, especially the vr. You want to remove the carbon cannister and in the hole that it leaves (directly under the airbox) you want to get a cold air feed pipe (from halfords etc). Then drill a big hole in the bottom of you airbox for this pipe to feed cold air through the pipe into the airbox.

Hope that makes sense. Oh and add a K&N panel filter

Plenty of threads on this and removing the carbon cannister

timo

just taken it all apart.... the carbon cannister is the round 'thing' below the airbox I take it? If so, what do you then do with those 2 pipes that run to it (1clear and 1 black)? And do you leave the original front inlet or are you supposed to block that up?

Cheers

just taken it all apart.... the carbon cannister is the round 'thing' below the airbox I take it? If so, what do you then do with those 2 pipes that run to it (1clear and 1 black)? And do you leave the original front inlet or are you supposed to block that up?

Cheers

Clear pipe vents to atmosphere, black pipe is discarded along with the CC. Just bung the throttle body inlet. Leave the blue frequency valve connected otherwise the ECU will throw codes.

If you really must swiss cheese the very well designed and performing VW airbox, don't remove the helmholtz resonator (snorkel in the top half of the box) otherwise you'll screw up the pulse induction tuning and the engine will make a god awful row.

I'd be inclined to sourcing a spare box to fall back on if you don't like the drilled one.

K

Does removing that 'helmholtz resonator' thingy have any effect on performance. I.e. loss of?? I have removed it due to the general theory that it help give a wee bit more voom.

ta

timo

Does removing that 'helmholtz resonator' thingy have any effect on performance. I.e. loss of?? I have removed it due to the general theory that it help give a wee bit more voom.

ta

timo

Not really, but it just makes an awful racket! It's there to quieten the induction roar which consequently makes the engine feel torquier and smoother

Might try experimenting with it and out of the airbox when I get my new K&N panel filter through the post.

timo

Yeah give it a go, just don't bin it! I put mine back in as I didn't like the loud roar when booting it on the motorway...it also shakes the floor/dashboard!

I found the induction kit was very bad for the skakes when booting it. That's why I've gone back to the airbox, and the fact I get a little sick of the noise.

ta

simon

cannae decide.... I want a bit more noise, but perhaps the forthcoming miltek will solve that issue.. but more importantly I wanna help the performance... ultimately can the standard set-up really be improved on?

ive tried the drilled box on a g60..too noisey for me....does the big hole in the airbox and a tube to the carbon canister hole make the same noise...or better worse???

ultimately can the standard set-up really be improved on?

Not really.... best thing you can do for the 16V is ensure the air that does go in is cold and to be honest, the standard setup does that adequately enough.

Complete induction kits for the VR6 which utilise the CC hole are better than the standard box but they're expensive for the small gains you get in return.

As for the Valver....not much you can do really. Swiss-cheesing the lower half merely makes a noise, won't give you any extra power. Same with the VR6, which doesn't have a particularly high flowing head anyway.

G60....forced induction engine so needs all the air it can get, so mods on their intakes can yield good results.

K