jamiehamy

Last drive of my Corrado - not selling tho!

Well, for now anyway :( I'm picking up an Audi S4 B5 tomorrow, and can't insure the Rado for a reasonable amount without NCB, so parking her up for the winter.

• 4.5 years and never left me stranded.
  • Never not started no matter how cold.
  • Been all round France and then another trip to Bosnia.
  • 70,000miles in the 4.5 years.
  • Ploughs through snow like a tank
  • Never missed a beat on LPG

I'm feeling very sad, but this is the perfect chance to do things i couldn't when running her. Painting shocks and calipers is top on list. Waxoiling bits of the underside is next. Painting a couple of scuffs on paint, fitting window rollers. Plenty to keep my busy in the winter.

Anyway, here's a gratuitous shot of her on her last drive. Weather was gorjus!

7f3e136a.jpg

Edited by jamiehamy

Looking good mate, just a wee rest lol............if you feel the need you can have a shot of mine before it goes into its winter hibernation :)

Looking good mate, just a wee rest lol............if you feel the need you can have a shot of mine before it goes into its winter hibernation :)

You're on :) lol, cheers!

Hi, it is worth it. I took the old green one of the road over the winter and I noticed a big difference once it was cleaned up. Im using Por15 and its a lot better than Waxoil - http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-rust-products/por15-rust-solutions.html

I've heard good things about POR, will order some. I want it in yellow for the shocks tho and can't find any. I suppose I can paint over the POR tho, so will be fine :) Clear stuff for the body

POR15 is a Hammerite equivalent, only a lot more expensive! For underbody waxing, Dinitrol 4941 gets good reviews. TBH though, people slag off black waxoyl but the trick is how you you apply it. First off, leave the lid off the can for as long as possible and let it get all tarry and glupy. Then brush it on in thin layers. Not many waxes stay put permanently in high impact areas like wheelarches (hence why VW use rubber paint instead), but the black waxoyl I put on 7 years ago is still there on the main floor pan.

Either way, some protection is better than no protection!

Some insurance companies will mirror your NCB on another policy. Mine did. So once you swap the insurance over, phone around and I bet you can get it done the same way.

Classic is usually out for me one one of two counts. Twi driving convictions in 5 years, no garage for the car.

Portent, who was that that mirrored the NCB? It's such a common sense thing, but doesn't seem mainstream. Could try that... :)

Pic of my new(er) car. It's sublime! Nowhere near as much fun as the Corrado on back roads tho. I suppose 1.5tonnes is never going to handle like a hot hatch.

290920111331.jpg

Oooft, it's not been long and I'm missing the old girl. The S4 is great, more than great, but I have to admit, slightly soulless compared to the Corrado. Also, the garage she's in is hopeless tbh, very damp - steering wheel is covered in mould already.

I'm trying to get some quotes for insurance and hopefully just put her back on the road. Given I don't drink, take drugs or smoke, I think this is a guilty pleasure I'm allowed...so I tell the other half anyway! Mr Osborne must love me...

So watch this space!

Whats the Audi like? Im tempted to get another uber barge and these things are quite cheap. Some decent ones going about with K04's fitted as well.

S4 is great, here's my personal experience of it.

Pro's

• Grip is phenomenal, you can drive it in the wet like it's dry. Will go up any hill in snow
  • Very quiet, great cruiser
  • Comfortable
  • Pretty fast (nothing special, but on a drive to Fort William, the power ratio was just perfect tbh)
  • Seems very reliable - 10k in 3 months without a hiccup.

Cons

• Handles like a 'pig on roller skates' when standard (quote someone used on SRS forum, but totally apt!
  • Runs out of steam at 5.5k which is a pain (although KO4's with RS4 injection solve it - at the cost!
  • Too many gears - constantly changing, which is a pain after the Rado's nice long ones.
  • Not actually that spacious for an estate
  • Brakes are pants

Despite cons, I love it, best car for doing lots of miles. Just not much fun on the twisties.

Drove a B5 RS4 the other day tho - was quite a beast. Was running 450bhp and felt like it was tearing up the tarmac. It had a rear ARB and handled brilliantly.

Cool, what sort of mileage has yours done? The B6 S4 I had handled well for the size of it. What sort of mpg are you getting?

Mine is at 131k now, drive perfectly apart from a slight thunk when going on and off the power. Will be bushes somewhere along the line, but I can live with it.

I generally get 21mpg, but that's on LPG, so probably about 23/24mpg on petrol. S4's are cheap as chips and so much car for the money! Or Cat-D RS4's...

RS4 nice choice, would like to own one at some point. But you'll be back! :D

Well, tax ran out on Audi yesterday so decided on a whim to park it up and drive the Corrado again. Whilst it's slower, noisier and so on, it just feels so much more fun on the back roads. Will run her for 6months and use the Audi again in winter.

Yeeeha! :)

Nice one jamie, cant wait until i get mine on the road again........prob the end of april though :)

Didn't know yours was off the road easypops? Haven't been on here for a while tho, how's things?

Not been too active on here myself mate, been way too busy, became a dad a fortnight ago, so its been a bit mad. I took the corrado off the road in november, to avoid having to use it in the snow etc(that didn't happen). so really looing forward to breaking it out again. How's things yourself mate?

Congrats on the new arrival, good news! Much the same here by the way, keeping busy but nothing really finished. Must be time for a meet now the cars are coming out for the good weather? anyone going to biggar in may?

Not been too active on here myself mate, been way too busy, became a dad a fortnight ago, so its been a bit mad. I took the corrado off the road in november, to avoid having to use it in the snow etc(that didn't happen). so really looing forward to breaking it out again. How's things yourself mate?

Congratulations! My sister had a wee girl on the 25th. Happy days!

We can get a meet sorted sometime over the next couple of months then.

Count me in. Anyone fancy an evening meet since the evenings are longer? Loch Lomond, Falkirk Wheel? I see there's a new owner in Falkirk.

Ran the C all winter - no bother.