fla

cleaning & reoiling a BMC CDA

I will be servicing my car soon - just wanted to know what is suggested to clean and then re-oil the BMC. Any restriction on the type of oil, or must it be specific? Also, how much should be used - should the gauze just be misted, or really soaked?

Just buy the K&N cleaning kit and follow the instructions. Make sure it's evenly covered with the oil, then use kitchen paper to blot off the excess.

Think its about 20 quid, halfords sell it, k&n recharge kit.

I oil it really lightly and let it soak up and add little bit at a time. Quite easy to use too much

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

You can get a BMC cleaning kit with oil for sub £20. You take the screws out of the carbon case, remove the inards, apply the cleaner, rinse, dry, re oil with a pump spray, reassemble. Thats what I did, theres a post on here somewhere about it.

i would imagine it would be a light mineral oil of sorts, nothing to heavy to restrict flow?

I thought the oil was quite important to aid filtration...?

It both aids and prevents it. When new, the oiled cotton traps dirt in the same way some insect uses mucus to trap prey. Over time, the oily, dusty gunky build-ups block the filter, so it needs a clean and re-oil.

Can't be arsed with that any more, I'd rather just pop a new paper one in :D

It is used to help pick up the dust particles IIRC but you musnt over oil as the mist created when air is inducted past effect the MAF sensor. TBH its probably best to do it over a certain mileage period say 15k miles but its like anything else depends on where you live really.

Old thread but bmc cda reoil related which side should i reoil after cleaning, i was under the impression i spray the inside (air coming in) as opposed to the maf side (outside)?

Conflicting info online some people have done both sides which i thought was a bit excessive

Edited by Jon_vr6

The oil is simply for attracting tiny particles of dirt that are airborne, and could be missed by the filter itself. To that end, oil the air side ONLY. Remember, this oil kills MAFs pretty regularly, so stick well clear of oiling that side mate.