Jim Bowen

Removing plastic windscreen trim

The three pieces of plastic that are on the bottom of external face of windscreen.

Got one off, but snapped what ever was holding it on, some white clips which seem to be glued to the back of trim.

Glue has come off the white clips and the bits of clip remain stuck to the car.

any tips, do i just break things and replace them?

VW didn't use any glue at all on those lower panels. That's windscreen fitters. The white clips clip into the scuttle panel with dowels and then the 3 plastic panels clip into those. So to reattach them properly you need to replace both the 3 plastic panels and the clips. This is why they're often just glued back down again with a couple of blobs of urethane glue :D

must of been whats happened, i should get a new windscreen really as it has an unrepairable chip right in the MOT fail space, but i've managed to get it passed for the last 5yrs.

I was doing a search and thought i heard someone say the new windscreen comes with the trim? is that these bits of trim or something else...

Sorry it doesn't come with these trims ! As Kev says the White plastic clips are still available,as are the rubber "grommits" they sit in. Not sure, but think the three piece trim is obsolete ! Dogger is making some one piece items, if that helps !

I managed to get the 3 trims last year from VW and one of them was gloss black oddly enough! Looks nice, so I'll do the other 2 to match :D I suspect they will be obsolete very soon though, if not already, which is a bit unfair as people always need new windscreens.... but then again, if people are just sticking them down with glue instead of ordering new ones, you can't really blame VW. And I can bet your bottom dollar the insurance companies decline the fitter's request to replace the panels too.

As for the windscreen itself, when people say it comes with the trims, what they mean is the plastic deflector rails, which are pre-installed. The lower trims and the main rubber seal aren't included.

I'm not surprised you've left it 5 years. Corrado owners hold screen replacement with the same relish as going to the dentist for filling. You know it needs doing but you fear the outcome too much.

Hi 3Corsameal,

I had my windscreen replaced when I bought my Corrado 3 months ago, and they broke all clips, and glued it back with some blobs of black sticky stuff, which took some real carefull levering, not to brake anything, to take off. The three pieves of lower trim cannot be had from VW any more (only is something is left over), but clips and dowels are available. So I got these, and the three piece trim now sits perfectly and tight as it should. Not rattleing about wilt the blobs... ;)

I am going for the onepiece carbon trim if ever made for a left hand drive car. Fr sure!

Else it can be had in normal black in onepiece too, which is an improvement of the original ones, I think. Looks standard, just better ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Can anyone remember the part numbers for the white clips along the bottom of the windscreen? At some point i want to change the screen and would want to avoid the glue! should get some should they ever go obsolete! thanks.

In Etka on picture 158-00, they sit with a screw part no. N 013 969 4 plus washer and clip no. 811 807 577 C in each side, and 10 pieces of 535 853 832 A plus 10 pieces of dowels no. 535 853 837 along the trim, plus the usual clips in front. The sucures the trim far better than black sticky stuff I used to have.

Cheers,

Redfox.

thanks chaps, i will have a tug at it this weekend and see what i'm left with :lol:

Careful fella, you don't want to tug it off completely :lol:

Hello. How exactly I remove this 3 windshield panels? I don't want to break anything.

I would like to remove the ECU, but removing the rain tray require removing this windshield plastic panel first. Am I right?

Thanks

Denis

hi denis you dont need to remove all three. If you have had your screen changed its likely that they will have bonding on them. would be better just to get the front part up to enable the rain tray to be removed.

Hey. I`m not sure I get enough space to lose and remove the ECU just by bending the rain tray up on front.. will try it. But it would be nice to know how to remove this thing anyway.

Thanks

Denis

I have got the three pieces complete with the clips. Pm me if you need them

I don't suppose you still have these parts? Anybody else have any of the clips, they're shown obsolete now and I can't find any anywhere.

I don't suppose you still have these parts? Anybody else have any of the clips, they're shown obsolete now and I can't find any anywhere.

have you tried VW Heritage?

i brought a front windscreen kit only a couple of weeks back but it is not on their website

I asked them about the white clips this morning and they said no? I didn't know about a kit though, what did you ask for?

I asked them about the white clips this morning and they said no? I didn't know about a kit though, what did you ask for?

ahh i thought it was the bits that clipped on to the outside of the screen

this was the kit:

item 535-845-100 windscreen moulding trim set £47.58

This is a picture I found via Google images, the white clips shown are the bits I need, along with the driver's side piece of lower windscreen trim.ef463ae9922d2a4d2d562fe551b56b9a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk