VR6Pete

Hella Radiators

The main difference with coolant temps is it now takes a bit longer to warm up. When stuck in traffic the temp gauge will still nudge over 100, but when I set off again, the new rad seems to quickly bring it down again. Whereas the oil temps are noticeably lower - previously getting up to 112 - 114 with normal steady driving, it now seems to settle around 100-108 ish.

Cheers,

Robbo

Just ordered one from the radiator shop, will see how it turns out when I come to fit it back up!

Pete

Well the radiator arrived today :)

Bad news is the tank on the side that doesnt have the hoses on is upside down :(

so the lug thing that secures it to the cross member is on top.

the guys are being really helpful as it looks to be a manufacturing fault and getting one send out ASAP.

heres how it should look....

vw2112.gif

It is a hella radiator too FYI....

Doh! How did they overlook that!! Still sounds like a good bunch turning it around so quickly, etc...

The box was sealed, so dont think would have checked before sending out :) seems a good bunch of guys though, hopeful I can get a new one soon, as other people have reported a good fit, im hoping it will be a straight forward job.. looks well built, so hopefully all good!

Pete

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

being swapped out monday.

Been meaning to respond to this...

I've been running a Hella rad for a good 30K+ now and I've been very impressed.

I went through the usual routine when searching for a replacement rad, struggled to sourced an original, didn't trust the pattern black GSF jobbies, ECP were pretty unhelpful basically saying they couldn't tell me post order what manufacturer rad would turn up.

Ended up going with an independent outfit called Aaron Radiators, they are online: http://www.aaronradiator.co.uk/. Very helpful bunch via email.

This is what turned up:

IMG_0229.jpg

Was very happy with quality, fit and finish is excellent. I had also noticed the slight difference in thickness but have noticed no adverse effects, if anything the car runs cool as a cucumber ever since. The rad was replaced along with a a lot of cooling related components so i think the combined effort meant the drop in temps were very noticeable.

Having recently taken the car off the road and started to pull it apart I've had a chance to take a look at the condition of the rad some 2 years later, all looks dry as a bone, few marks from flying debris but still in good condition.

Definitely a worthy O.E. alternative to the D.M. original at a slightly cheaper price.

Morning chaps :) My new radiator arrived today... very happy, as it's all as it should be. very impressed with the quality...

The shipping note from Hella stated the retail price is £162, and I got it for £86 + VAT / £10 shipping so all in all £115~ so cant complain. not sure if that companies prices go up ....

very professional guys, very keen to help to resolve the issue for me.

hopefully my new fan switch will arrive today, and I can get that installed later, with some good old plumbers tape on the thread to help seal it better....

Will mount my fans to the radiator once my new guide ring has arrived, which will hopefully be before 12/13th of the november so I can just drop it all back in as the front of the car is off anyway that weekend.

hopefully will last it's time as StueyB has proven already. hopefully a better alternative and cheaper than ECP...

Happy Pete = Happy Corrado!

Ok, managed fit the fans to the radaitor last night... good news, fits like a glove, no bending or tweaking of the brackets, literally just dropped straight on.

stuck a new fan switch on, looking good now :)

11%2B-%2B1

Well done Pete, good stuff! :D Good price too!

I'd probably take this option personally....

Had a spare 5 minutes today so i rang serk marston up,

standard rad (Vr6) £160 + vat

Money is a little tight this time of the year :) and I needed buy a new front silencer too...

Reasons for taking the risk on this

- Hella, usually a reputable manufacturer

- StueyB has covered over 30k with his hella radiator, cant imagine my corrado ever doing 30k in the next 10 years :)

anything is better than the leaky radiator I have now :) proof will be in the running temps, but should be ok, new water pump, new coolant, new aux water pump etc...

Pete

This is all true :D I wasn't knocking your decision mate. I'm just a bit of a dealer parts whore :lol:

Then Hella one does certainly seem to be a viable alternative and I do wish they'd make some proper smoked tail lights for Corrados!!!

As far as I am aware, no after market radiators come with the elbow, its a VW part... and given that the VW rad's and elbows are obselete iits a non-issue id have thought, even when the radiators were available from VW, they were over the 200 quid mark easily...

I've just removed the elbow off my old radiator and have purchased new bolts / o-ring... job done...

only other option is to get the elbow from VW heritage or purchase the gruven parts alloy elbow...

Pete

Yeah Elbow is available from Classic Parts - 6 Euro

VW Rads were actually only £125 back in the day, I remember buying one for Dinkus and another for someone else.

yeah, back in the day.... times have changed :)

In comparison to the rads ECP sell, the hella ones are very cheap, and probably built just as well / better than the ECP one...

I'm happy anyway with my purchase, pretty sure the car will run cooler than it ever has done, and it will probably wont need replacing again.

Yeah Elbow is available from Classic Parts - 6 Euro

VW Rads were actually only £125 back in the day, I remember buying one for Dinkus and another for someone else.

I got one of the last ones earlier this year and it was just shy of £250.

My backup Rado rad decided to spring a leak last night, so I'm now on the search for a replacement.

And happened upon this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINNER-HI-PERF-ALUMINUM-ALLOY-RADIATOR-VOLKSWAGEN-CORRADO-VR6-2-9L-M-T-1991-1995-/120766197453?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item1c1e39eecd#ht_1547wt_952

Anyone got any experience with these all alloy Chinese rads as it seem very tempting as I have an almost new rad on the Rotrexed Rado which could be swapped out for this.

Anyone!!

Joni

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Just seen the Godspeed ones from the US, same applies!