robo22sri

Golf 2.8 engine

OBDII is the difference so yep, without it you're looking at less bhp and less torque.

certainly will - a few have done the conversion, but it needs the main loom wiring to be modified and the immobiliser to be deleted, unless you want to change keys etc. Have a search

yea but arent the pistons bigger in the 2.9L block ABV {190bhp} so converting your obd1 2.8 AAA to obd2 isnt gona nessacerily gona jump straight from 175bhp to 190bhp

yea but arent the pistons bigger in the 2.9L block ABV {190bhp} so converting your obd1 2.8 AAA to obd2 isnt gona nessacerily gona jump straight from 175bhp to 190bhp

The donor car is a 2.8 odb2 car which will be 190 bhp due to the Ecu

But yeah if I run it with my cars odb1 it will be 170 :(

dont forget, it will all depend how healthy the donor engine is too..... personally, I'd ODB2. I'm just about to do mine in a couple of weeks to my 2.9 ABV

ah right, i was under the impression that the obd2's from certain mk3 golf's are 2.9L and the extra bhp from 175 to 190 came from the bigger pistons and not ecu?? cheers..

Golfs came with the AAA engine, which is 2.8.

I'm not aware of any OBD2 2.9's from factory, unless maybe from abroad / syncro's ?

Thats a myth.... highlines use the same engines as everyone other mk3 golf, its just cosmetic stuff that makes a highline, a highline.

Right just had a quote of £1000 to fit the 2.8 highline golf engine and odb2 in to my C, is that a good price? that includes the engine ;)

If that includes the engine, then yes that's a good deal imo.... the last thing you want to be doing over winter is f'cknig about with wiring if you're not familiar with it, so pay the man already :D

LOL, I still need to come and see you Kev and pick your brains in prep for doing this!

I am going to look at my funds tonight and see if i have £400 spare for the engine!

You can buy a donor golf vr spare/repair for about £200 if you look around. Its not that big a job tbh, and you will have absolutely everything you need for the transplant there. You will have it done for £300 including car, crane, fluids etc and shouldnt take any longer than a weekend. If you can afford to get it done for you then fair enough, but I'd rather diy it and get lots of satisfaction from it, and also spend the saving on some nice rims or something.

You can buy a donor golf vr spare/repair for about £200 if you look around. Its not that big a job tbh, and you will have absolutely everything you need for the transplant there. You will have it done for £300 including car, crane, fluids etc and shouldnt take any longer than a weekend. If you can afford to get it done for you then fair enough, but I'd rather diy it and get lots of satisfaction from it, and also spend the saving on some nice rims or something.

I would love to do it myself but I dont have a crane or any where to put the donor car :(

Fair enough mate. Crane hire is pretty cheap though. I was lucky as my old dear works for Brandon Tool Hire so it cost me about £3.50 from Thursday til Tueday. :smug: Understand about the storing of the VR though what with laws on tax/MOT/Insurance etc, unless you know someone with a drive. Its just stripping it all down and taking what you need, then selling a few bits to make some money back, and getting one of those scrap metal collection companies that advertise in the local paper to collect the chassis. May only get a tenner for the chassis but its out of the way then.

The 2.8 OBD1 makes less power than the 2.9 mostly due to the manifold. The manifold does give more torque at lower revs through, making for a nicer drive even if you can't 'win' rolling road days.