wafers

Where are Corrados at right now?

I have recently logged back on here after a long hiatus. I originally owned my first Corrado valver in 2000, then bought another (after lots of other cars in between) in 2003. 7 years on, I see a lovely looking black/dark blue Rado in Trago Mills car park (see the spotted thread) and start to get a bit of an itch again. The problem is that although I've owned valver Rados and a VR6 Golf, as well as an obscene amount of other cars, I have never had the pleasure of owning a Corrado VR6. I need to keep my Audi A4 TDI as my daily. The Corrado would be for weekend duties, and fun only.

Looking on here at the scary amount of Corrados that are now being broken, and the low, low value of some VR6's, where should I begin? I would probably not want to spend any more than £2-2500, which seems in keeping with some prices I have seen. I also like the idea of a silver VR, but they seem pretty rare.

Any advice? I get the feeling owners are really struggling to sell with the crazy fuel prices. Cheers in advance.

(Also extra note - are there many Corrado owners in Cornwall on here? I don't see many around any more :()

Buying a £2k VR will either buy you a car you don't want bodywork-wise or trouble. As was the case 7 years ago, you get what you pay for ;) You need to be pending at least £3k for (initial! :D) trouble free motoring. Seven years is a long time in car age and with rose-tinted glasses probably won't feel as good as you remember, so it's important your budget stretches as far as you can.

I think it's more the recession and chronic oversupply of cars killing values at the moment rather than the engine size. Most people that own Corrado's now don't use them as daily drivers :)

Although some do use them as daily drivers, though in my case it was not meant to be that way. However mine has a great mechanical history and has proved to be more reliable than an 03 Alfa 156 - engine blew up, the T5 - turbo then engine wear, 57 Alfa 159 - sticky egr and then a water leak. So VR has been brilliant to own and actually is not too awful on fuel which is really a misnomer for those that assume they are really thirsty. Ave 28-30 mpg on local a-road driving to and from work. Put into context the T5 was doing 32mpg, the Alfa 159 Jtd does about 35 mpg (needs remap to produce plus 40 mpg and 260 bhp!!)

Anyway I would go for it, your budget will get you a lot of motor. I know of a green Storm that could be had for £1.8k that sounds ok on paper. So take your time and you will find a bargain in these times.

Good to see another Corrado owner in Cornwall! Unfortunately I am trying to shift my valver as I have a mk3 Tdi daily so I won't be an owner for long. My Mk3 is the newest car I have ever owned and I have not been spoilt by the new car feel, so I can safely say my 16v (and G60 before it) are the best dailys I have ever had.

I totally agree with Pat, throw as much as you have at it and you won't regret it. I have always bought cars on a tight budget and always spent a lot of time tinkering with them - but I enjoy that so its ok.

One day I will get another Corrado (after I finish the Mk1 and Mk2) probably by the time they have all but disappeared and cost a small fortune!!