Kevin Bacon

BMW 1M or Audi RS3?

Here's another fantasy car comparison I thought up during my lunchtime stroll today.

BMW's new 1M versus Audi's new RS3.

Both are £40K basic OTR and both have charismatic 340hp turbo engines, so it really does come down to 4WD or RWD!

It's tempting to write-off the Audi as just another 'RS' that barely stands out in a vast sea of other samey VAG cars, but it does have that awesome 5 pot motor and the revised Haldex setup.

Similarly BMW have taken the lump out of relatively mundane 3 and 5 series cars and stuck an M badge on it, so can equally be written off as a bit of a marketing excercise. But it does have properly pumped up arches and fat wheels (what look like BBS CH no less, yum!), so it does stand out in a crowd of samey BMWs.

Tis a tough one. Which would you choose?

I'd take the BMW because it's just bonkers. The RS3 is a little too staid for my liking!

Still, when the invetible chipping happens, both will be pushing past 400hp and that's where the Audi would score highly with it's 4WD :D

I've had an E36 and E46 M3, and while I tested an S4 and an RS4 they really didn't do much for me at all.

I'd definitely have the BMW. Well actually I'd rather a Boxster Spyder and a £1k hack but I can't afford any of them haha.

BMW 1M all day long, love its arches and it sound awesome with an aftermarket exhaust on it, plus to be honest i'm missing RWD action.

Yep, BMW 1M for me too - the RS3 just seems a little too soul-less, even with that awesome 5-pot.

Plus, I actually loathe the standard 1-series in 'Coupe' form, yet I really like the 'Breadvan' version. However I think the 1M Coupe is fantastic with its big arches and wide wheels, couple that with how awesome they sound and you're onto a winner for me :)

I would take neither of those two, as the beemer is small and ugly or let's say clumsy. The audi is an audi, not too interesting. I think none of them is sporty enough. Therefore I agree completely with Pete: take a spyder from Porsche and get the real thing.

Fortunately I don't have money for sucha buy. Anyway I really like a BMW M1, which is a true sportscar, with the handlling to back up the all too good looks, but that got way too expensive these days.

If you want to have a real sportscar, a seldom one, and want to keep it not depreciating, and want to throw lot's of tlc on it, get a Esprit, just beware of the gearboxes.

So, none of those two for me - boring looks and not real sportscars.

Cheers,

Redfox.

1M for me. It was in the top 3 for Evo car of the year. The RS3 is 5 door only which ruins it for me. Would be nice to send one to MRC though and come back with 500bhp!

1M will handle better, definately looks better, will have a better driving position, will feel more special, is rarer and doesn't look like a squashed frickin a4 avant.

Can you tell I really dislike a3 sportbacks? lol.

1M ADL, one of my cars to own in the next 2-3 years If all goes well (and the prices don't go up due to limited numbers produced)...

Having gone quite badly off Audi in the last few years for various reasons, I think it'd have to be the 1M. Saw one in traffic for the first time the other day and it looked cracking! :)

I hate the 1 series coupe, it just looks utterly sutpid IMO and I think a 5cyl is the best sounding engine however it is would be the 1M for me as well. Watch the recent 5th Gear comparison, says it all really. Only issue with the 1M as with a lot of the M cars is apparently the brakes are not up to the job on track, thats a shame for a perf car costing that much.

Now of they fitted the RS engine to a Rocco then I would be camping at the dealers door.

That would only make it slightly more appealable for me. No engine could persuade me to live with the Scirocco's overall fugliness. Love the engine though and maybe my next project :norty:

Only issue with the 1M as with a lot of the M cars is apparently the brakes are not up to the job on track, thats a shame for a perf car costing that much.

Yep. I can't remember if it was the E46 M3 or the E39 M5 but I remember reading an Evo article saying the same thing and when they mentioned to BMW about the brakes being rubbish, they were almost offended and couldn't understand why Evo felt that way. Evo asked a perfectly valid question "Why is it all your competitors fit 4 or 6 pot calipers and you stick with heavy, iron calipers?". They just wouldn't accept their brakes are pants.

I know it's no sporting thoroughbred but the brakes on my Tourer are pretty scary at times :lol:

What is it with Germans and brakes?!! The corrados are dreadful, the MK1s are dangerous and the MK2s were rubbish as well.

Out of those I'd take the 1M.

The brakes on my old mk2 Scirocco GTX were absolutely shocking (and it was a relatively new car at the time). Mind you I think it taught me how to drive properly and anticipate other drivers because I knew I couldn't rely on the brakes alone to keep me out of trouble.

No engine could persuade me to live with the Scirocco's overall fugliness.

Haha not a fan then. A lot nicer than a 1 series coupe anyway.

dont get what you are saying about the BM brakes, i have had 3 BM's and the brakes on all of them were just brilliant, if i stamped on the brakes in the 540 it stopped better than the old corrado with the brembos on.

the 2 things i do love about BM's is the so accurate steering and the brakes.

It's the M brakes in particular Karl. Many people find they're not a match for the car's performance when used hard.

Graeme, I've despised it since it's launch :D The front looks OK but all other angles just repulse me, sorry :lol:

I don't like the 1 series hatchback but I do like the coupe, well, I'd certainly take the 1M anyway. They can keep the poverty spec ones though :lol: Well, no such thing as 'poverty' with a Bimmer but you know what I mean

But the 1M looks so gay, Looks like a Nerd thats been given a massive shot of 'roids and is now raging as they take over his body and deepen his voice.......BMW couldn't even call it the M1 as they used that name up ages ago...Idiots! I had an E30 325I sport and the brakes on that were crap too, plus I have no idea why BMW can't build a car that doesn't Rot out its back arches....Every Single one does it!

The aRSe3 isn't much better either, 5 Door only...WHY!!!! But it does have a better soundtrack than a straight 6, the Off beat Warble sends shivers down your spine...Does in my Volvo anyway! But Fast Audi's should be Estates...this is a Law! Calling it a Sportback as it has 2 extra escape hatches just doesn't cut it I'm afraid!

Plus which ever you pick, no normal car driver will let you out of a junction........

For the £40K I'd go but a proper M car...the E30 M3, remove 4-pot, insert 3.2 6-pot from an E46 M3 and drive around with the biggest grin on my face, plus have change left over :)

Plus which ever you pick, no normal car driver will let you out of a junction........

Erm, remember what two cars we're talking about here! BMWs and Audis don't wait to be let out of junctions, they force their way out :lol:

Maybe my Gaydar needs retuning or something, but I fail to see what's queer about this?

Alpine-White-BMW-1M-Coupe-Rendering.jpg

Edited by Kevin Bacon

1M for me so I can be drift god. Mine in orange please.

I like the Audi 5-pot turbo engine but would rather have it in the TT-RS (or Corrado transplant! :D)

The 1M looks better but i think the all round car the RS3 would trump it.

plus i liked spanking an 1M round spa in the corrado the owner didnt like it...