Simon vr6

Whats the best induction kit to install in my VR6?

BMC CDA mate best one out there, dont go for the K&n open airfilter as it will suck in all the hot air from the engine.

Remove the resonator inside the top half of the airbox and trumpet from the bottom half if you don't want to spend much and still get similar sound/performance. Sounds great on full throttle.

BMC CDA mate best one out there, dont go for the K&n open airfilter as it will suck in all the hot air from the engine.

+1

Sound amazing (in mine anyway)

+2 on the BMC CDA. Thread would be over for me....

BUT bear in mind they're not cheap, even second hand ones arent cheap. IMO either go for the BMC or stay standard. As Jon said cone filter suck hot air in.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Remove the resonator inside the top half of the airbox and trumpet from the bottom half if you don't want to spend much and still get similar sound/performance. Sounds great on full throttle.

All that did on mine was wreck the bottom end torque. I seriously don't recommend that, especially now that Corrado airboxes are obsolete. If people want noise, stick a cheap 30 quid cone on, get it out of your system then put the standard box back on again :D

All that did on mine was wreck the bottom end torque. I seriously don't recommend that, especially now that Corrado airboxes are obsolete. If people want noise, stick a cheap 30 quid cone on, get it out of your system then put the standard box back on again :D

Totally agree, I went back to standard and I love it, The CDA was great for a while, got bored of the sound eventually. The stock set up is very good, I love the stealth grunt.

Exactly this. I'm running a BMC CDA on my VR at the minute for a bit of fun and don't get me wrong, the roar under full throttle is hilarious. But for me it's not what the car is about. The standard airbox is right.. you can make progress and get to hear the noise of that great engine in the cabin but you're not shouting about it to everyone around you.

People who like cars might think "that sounds good" when they hear a BMC'd Corrado steam past, but everyone else is just thinking "chav" !

thinking of going back to my standard airbox, have a BMC on for ages now, also got a magnex but never heard the car without the BMC and just the exhaust, might try it out when car is back on the road.

can't say i've noticed any negative effects from it though, not like sticking a big cone on my 1.4 corsa and ending up with flat spots but a cool noise :lol:

I had a Civic R in 2003 and put a BMC on back then but in the end I took it off and sold it on, the noise was just too much on a screaming 4cyl.

does anyone know if the golf vr6 airbox is the same as the corrado vr6? i wouldnt mind trying it out in the corrado to see what differance it makes as ive never driven the corrado without the cone filter, cheers.

thinking of going back to my standard airbox, have a BMC on for ages now, also got a magnex but never heard the car without the BMC and just the exhaust, might try it out when car is back on the road.

you should most definitely go back to standard and sell the BMC... to me :p

I have got a K&N on at the moment and I love it and will never get tired of it, but opening the bonnet and seeing a cheap K&N sat there in my nice engine bay spoils it and the standard airbox doesn't give that VR growl I love.

does anyone know if the golf vr6 airbox is the same as the corrado vr6? i wouldnt mind trying it out in the corrado to see what differance it makes as ive never driven the corrado without the cone filter, cheers.

Completely different unfortunately.

you should most definitely go back to standard and sell the BMC... to me :p

I super resin polished and waxed the outside of it once :lol:

I disagree (mainly cos i have the BMC :lol: ) that the BMC is seen as Chav. With the BMC it emphasises the V6 noise - its induction noise as opposed to a chavvy exhaust noise (grr reminds me of the d!ck who lives in my street with a standard corsa with a huge back box on it - stupidly loud).

Though, ive just bought a new bracket for it and ive been moving the bmc aroudn to get it to sit right, but seem to have lost some torque and power in the engine. Coincidence or positioning of the bmc has affected the breathing of the engine :shrug:

Never lost any torque on mine but the Schrick changes the characteristic of the engine low down anyway. It didn't damage the airbox at all - both parts just slid out, and will slot in again without any trouble at all.

I didn't notice you had cams and a Schrick. They still work better with a standard airbox though. I've had both of those as well in the past and undoing VW's good work with the airbox tuning never did me any favours.

Gaz, have you moved your BMC closer to, or further away from the throttle? The VR6 seems quite sensitive to intake tract length, even with my turbo! I found the BMC was best mounted about 6" from the back of the headlight, or the opening just above the carbon hole. Fitting the cold air feeld silenced it but it felt slower.

I think its more or less the same distance, i havent changed the piping only the distance from the engine laterally. It was sat closer to the wing before. Not its closer to the engine. Maybe why? Im going to take another look at it over the weekend, given a chance :)

Edited by Critical_Mass

I've got a K&N pannel filter and i've cut away the wing side of the air box, it keeps the engine bay looking standard, engine gets a bit more fresh air and the sound isn't over the top so good all round

I recently replaced the grotty open cone K&N on my VR & was originally looking for a BMC CDA, as I love the induction noise they give. But I ended up going for a RAMAIR carbon boxed system (virtually identical to the BMC) at half the price! I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with it - looks fantastic, picks up much smoother than with the with old cone & it's not much louder than a stock airbox. It was actually for a Golf VR6, so needed a bit of jiggery pokery to get everything to fit properly (particularly the cold air feed), but the kit came with loads of bits to fit it.

If anyone's interested, I can post up some pics at the weekend?

Cheers,

Robbo

Hum.... Where did I put my original filter box.... I know I had it. I want to try it. When I bought my c it came with the k&n... Its been there ever since

i have a bmc filter for sale, taken of a vr6, it comes with bracket and oddi 2 maf. the filter has just been cleaned and oiled.. so its ready to fit, the filter is a year old..... im selling becuase i need the money.....

pm me your email address and i will send you pic

im looking for £120 collected from hayes

another one who'd keep it standard, to my mind any additional induction 'noise' means induction pulses are being lost to air and cylinder charging isn't being optimised.

hi.. i sold my bmc cda has i had no room to fit it, has i got a charger on my vr6, so no room in the bumper.. instead iv got a bmc f1 power cone filter, looks like its made out of the k&n material..and i have got a foam pipercross cone filter.. which is better and why..

what is better. bmc f1 power cone filter or pipercross foam cone filter.. im looking for noise... cant have a cda as no room

help guys?