Sign in to follow this  
petervr6

top speed prob?

Are you a Coronation Street fan? If so then you could always be "DevHaywire" ?

God I really must get to that shrink..... :lol:

..and people wonder how you manage to get such a mega-high post count Kev... :roll: :-P

I think that the shrink will just tell you that you're past help... but then you already know that 'cos you've got a 'Rado! ;) :lol:

..and people wonder how you manage to get such a mega-high post count Kev... :roll: :-P

Do they? I'm honoured :lol:

I think that the shrink will just tell you that you're past help... but then you already know that 'cos you've got a 'Rado! ;) :lol:

Yeah apparently I'm suffering from 'Corrado anxiety syndrome' which makes me talk a lot of pap, become addicted to discussion forums and sink all my money into an ageing heap of sh*t that is for some bizarre reason heralded as a future classic!

Are you a Coronation Street fan? If so then you could always be "DevHaywire" ?

God I really must get to that shrink..... :lol:

you'd be my b!tch then? :-P

I'm not shaving my legs, unless the sex is really good

Yeah apparently I'm suffering from 'Corrado anxiety syndrome' which makes me talk a lot of pap, become addicted to discussion forums and sink all my money into an ageing heap of sh*t that is for some bizarre reason heralded as a future classic!

Thank God for that... I thought I was the only one suffering from that! :lol: :wink: 8)

['H3R4POR]I'm not shaving my legs' date=' unless the sex is really good[/quote']

Now that's an image I never want to think of... :pukeleft:

Back on the original..... :D i've had an "indicated" 140 in my VR, and that felt ALOT faster than my GPS read 120 in my Golf!!! Got a bit scared whilst looking a mile ahead for any coppers, so eased off. :x Definitely had something left in the tank...... :D

Ok, back on topic... when I first got my G60, I took it over to get the charger rebuilt and decided that since it was a nice day, and very early in the morning, I'd open her up and see what she'd do... I chickened out at an indicated 145 'cos there was some traffic coming up somewhat quickly and I like my licence in it's clean state... 8) She was still pulling, but was definately getting close to having no more go left... I have no idea how far out my speedo is though... :?

My old 1.8 16V used to run out of go at around 130 on the speedo which I did a couple of times... :oops:

Back on Topic - I've got to change my bid - 140 indicated (just ask the fella in the Storm reg xxx VRG who was also there about 10 minutes ago - anyone know who that is?)

and again there was too much traffic to find top wack. Big smiles though.

one sunday morning about 6.30 my vr hit 150 the air temp was about 3 degrees which helped a little, the road was flat and no wind at all

cheers guys, it gives me an idea of what is expected of my vr, yeah im running 18's, but i thought that would slow the acceleration, and give me more top speed. i will go out in the next couple of days with a friend gps and get the real figure. im just a bit pissed that i lost to my younger brother!

just ruin the thread with off topic nonsense why don't you......

yeah the mods are the worst at doing that :x

petervr6, the myth of higher top speed with larger wheels is amazingly stubborn. No matter how much it cannot possibly make sense in any physical terms whatsoever, it clings on to the world with an amazing tenacity.

It's just not true. All you do is alter the gearing. If the gearing was that bad from the factory that lengthening it makes the top speed higher, then great, but I don't think it is.. (In fact I can't think of ANY standard car that hits the redline in top gear..)

So: to recap - with bigger wheels you get a) slower acceleration, b) worse handling, c) a worse ride, d) an illegal speedo and e) if you're lucky no change in top speed.

I know a lot of people prefer the way the car looks, but you have to realise that is the ONLY thing you get from it...

My 2p.

wow, i take it you dont like big wheels then!?!?!?!? the reason i thought that having bigger wheels would make top speed faster is the circumference of an 18 inch wheel is more then a 15 inch wheel , so on one complete revolution the 18 inch wheel would travel slightly further, meaning that at top whack, the contact between tyre and road per revoltion of wheel is longer, meaning faster top speed????????????? also i see this as why accelleration is better on smaller rims. am i insane or am i seeing it completely wrong?

If the engine has enough grunt to overcome the extra rotational mass of 18s and the friction from wider tyres then yeah a slightly higher top speed is possible, but I don't think a standard engine will manage it to be honest. As Dr Mat says, even on standard sized wheels, you'll never pull top whack unless you have a run way to play with.

Top speed is academical in this country anyway, you're better off concentrating on in gear flexibility for better overtaking, if the oppurtunity arises!

K

the bigger circumference doesn't automatically convert to MPH. What it does convert to is less revs for the same speed. (eg if you were doing 6000 at 150MPH then the bigger wheels will drop the revs needed to do 150MPH). The drop in revs may actually mean not as much power which in turn means you'll never be able to get to that speed in the first place. Assuming the top speed was 150. I'm sure someone will be able to word that better and give you better maths but that's a layman's overview.

HTH

I'm actually going to get rid of my wheel arches completly and replace my standard 15's with a set of 30's which I have sourced from a place called http://www.concordepartsdirect.com, this should make my car capable of at least 280Mph :)

I'm just going to pump my tyres up a-la this really bad pic.

i love the laymans overview, its what i understand! anyway i now get the bigger wheel v engine power debate. cheers guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love the laymans overview, its what i understand! anyway i now get the bigger wheel v engine power debate. cheers guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

No probs. Apologies for our off topic ranting by the way, we tend to go off on wild tangents here :lol: I know a few of the regulars get narked by it, so apologies to them as well.

Have you tried putting some standard wheels on your car to see if things improve?

K

i would love to but i have a big brake conversion using wilwood calipers which means that only a few types of wheel will fit and not catch on them! i would love to buy a set of 15" wheels for when i go out for a fun drive, and have the 18" wheels for shows and normal driving, its just that i cant find wheels that small that will fit!

Apologies for our off topic ranting by the way, we tend to go off on wild tangents here :lol: I know a few of the regulars get narked by it, so apologies to them as well.

K

All work and no play makes Jack drive a dull car. :wink: