20vtvw

DBP from 24v to VRT

Thank you,,i havent been far as it wont be taxed till today but the short drive home from garage put a smile on my face ,so far im happy with the choice of v5 gearbox with 3.9 fd but will see what its like at motorway speeds ,..

my OZ vegas will be going back on this weekend then its time for vwfestival,will be on ccgb club stand this year (as long as it doesnt brake down like last year:()

oh,its worth the wait!!

Had a bit of a problem with mine today ,did about ten miles then lost power steering :( ,worked out that the down pipe is too close to(touching)the steering rack ,when its cooled down its fine so im gonna take off the manifold and bend it around the rack and arb,and also wrap it in heat wrap..

got some pics from tonight after getting the VAGAS back on :) ;)

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

felt very good whilst out ,loving the mk4 shifter gearchange is now really slick..

Edited by 20vtvw

looking good dude, damn that sux about the rack, what happened? you just all of a sudden lost the power steering?

im guessing you had to force the down pipe down towards the rack slighly for it to line up with the flanges? cause otherwise your DP is stock..

the steering just got very heavy,no noise from pump or anything ..

my engine is sat lower than normal to fit under bonnet this must have moved dp down.i just hope that when i bend it over the rack the problem doesnt continue as ive just had the rack reconditioned at a silly price!!

Not updated this for a wile as ive just been enjoying the car!!!

done a few hundred miles now and apart from the steering being abit temperamental and smashing the ally sump(now has a vr sump with 6mm plate welded to it) evreything is great!!! loving the 24v engine..

heres a pic from vw festival.

IMG_0441.jpg

plans now are to use it till early next year then strip it down narrow track the front end and get it fully resprayed as the paint really lets it down..

Edited by 20vtvw

i spent abit of time on the rado today after just using it as my daily driver for the last couple of months enjoying the new engine!!

whilst using it ive noticed that the o/s rear arch catches a fair bit so my mate and i have gone halfs on an arch roller so today i pulled the wheel off and rolled it the best i could ,i managed to pull the arch out 10mm and got a very smooth inner edge now without ripling the arch or makeing it look non standerded,

The paint was really bad on the arch so after getting it in shape i rubbed it down and painted it again (all on the drive with one eye on the sky!!)

the paint is just rattle can for now as its going in for a fullrespray soon but the match is very good .

pics

IMG_0482_zps0c301f78.jpg

IMG_0483_zpse7141b42.jpg

IMG_0485_zps526f46e4.jpg

IMG_0486_zpsbafd31f2.jpg

IMG_0487_zps6436e153.jpg

IMG_0493_zpse509d635.jpg

IMG_0494_zpsc86e68e8.jpg

Im also getting a G60 rear beam to narrow the back end a little to get my wheels sitting flush (ish)

hope you like..

Edited by 20vtvw

been busy again today ,started off by giving it a quick wash as its not been done for a few weeks ,then took off the front wheels and cleaned then inside and out and got the mops out to give the dishes a good polish.

IMG_0496_zps19987829.jpg

IMG_0497_zps023a0dae.jpg

IMG_0498_zpsb46461e9.jpg

wheels

IMG_0499_zps6affef44.jpg

IMG_0500_zpsbf0f2807.jpg

IMG_0501_zpsd2f19109.jpg

IMG_0505_zpsf13a2399.jpg

And dropped the front a bit whilst they where off,

IMG_0507_zps7abd4a82.jpg

IMG_0508_zps18bef756.jpg

Also had an idea for the headlights to freshen them up a bit ,,will post pics when they are done. :D

lttle winter update ,,

after i changed my wheels for my 8x16 merc 8 holes for winter i was left stranded on my way to work due to my driveshaft completly snapping in half !!!!

IMAG0346_zps00adcb8f.jpg

soi replaced this with a complete shaft and cv joints i found on ebay for £35 with 2 year warrenty ,seamed very cheap to me but seems ok so far..

This is how its looking now,

bmw1_zps5474b059.jpg

ive had to remove all the carpets and sound deadening as i got a bit of a leak from the foliage cover (ive sealed this up now and made it recirc air only)

Also been playing with the family beemer,,

8 and 9x18 style 32s and some coilovers..

IMAG0336_zpsa89b9bf7.jpg

IMAG03521_zps8c473c06.jpg

IMAG0351_zpsdf3669f5.jpg

cheers

wow, thats one plush raddo yo have there. Top job, lovin the colour and that engine looks soooo sweet in that bay. fair play to ya.

kev.

Thanks dubkicks,,

Well with the first north east meet coming up next weekend and the weather getting better I have sold my winter wheels and put the Vegas back on(it then snowed!!??!)

Got a few more bits to do before I can use it again but have just fitted a new steering pump and that's made a massive difference as I lost power steering when revs were low this seems to be ok now but only been around the block in it so far,.

Couple of pics between snow showers

image_zps84d6a5b2.jpg

image_zpsa3e3b4da.jpg

image_zpsdc244273.jpg

image_zpsde6967a6.jpg

Will get some more pics when it's all cleaned and centre caps are back on..

Edited by 20vtvw

That's a good effort there with that driveshaft! Nailing it out of a pothole or something?!

You may run into interior condensation problems in damp weather if you have you foliage cover sealed over and in recirc only mode. The interior needs that to breath. At the very least it's useful to clear away any heavy farts!

If i had a garage that would be good but all my work is done on the drive and my shed is full of tools ,maybe hang it on the side of the house lol,,Drive shaft just. Snapped accelerating up a hill ,I thought it might of hit the chassis leg but there are no rubbing marks !

Ye I'm going to put a vent in so I can pull fresh air in,,

when i removed my scuttle panel and smoothed the bay on my KR turbo i plated over the vent, i dont get any condensation. sucks the air in from inside the car for the heaters all good even on wet days and keeps the catch tank stench out.

Just brought myself a DBP 16v and getting on the case with that. just love the colour. top job you have done with yours.

Kev.

Well I sold the 24v engine as I've always wanted to build a vrt,,

I bought a late mk3 golf vr6 to get the engine from and sell off the rest of the bits to pay for some of the turbo parts that I need,,

I started by buying an ecu setup that has been mapped by stealth to 420hp at 1 bar ,this also came with the 4" maf and dry filter ,I then got a 2mm spacer plate to drop compression down to 9.1

I have bought a cheap turbo just to get it all together then will upgrade to garret gt3582r once I know everything is working well..

The engine is currently stripped down waiting for some more parts for the build up..

Oh and got some new wheels ...

Will get some pics up soon...

---------- Post added at 7:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:07 PM ----------

Ok few pics,,

New wheels,fully polished,ZW1s 8.5x17s with 215,35 sp9000s

image_zpsba9767fd.jpg

IMG_0804_zps5ef68aab.jpg

IMG_0805_zps31089e8f.jpg

Turbo

Gt35 with .62 a/r

IMG_0806_zpsa82c1b23.jpg

ATP clone manifold

IMG_0807_zps4afdb278.jpg

Short runner,,

IMG_0836_zpsac2d3fd9.jpg

Engine stripped,

Found a cracked chain tensioner so need to replace that but otherwise it's in really good shape..

IMG_0803_zps53010f67.jpg

I have a week off mid August so hope to get the engine built up with turbo and oil lines new clutch and sat in the bay..

Let me know what you think,,

---------- Post added at 7:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:35 PM ----------

Edited by 20vtvw

Knowing what I know that is a good choice. 0.62 might be a tad small though, will certainly make it more responsive.

Ye when I buy a proper turbo I want to go .82 hot side to give the drivetrain an easier time ,but for now it should be fun!

wow, great thread and work in relative short time too considering all home done.

DBP is cooool