sexybourbon

performance disks/pads or not

iv been pricing up new disks and pads and have sort of made my mind up about what i might get but really after christmas its a bit of a a stretch , so iv looked on venom motorsport and chose the 6 slot black diamond disks front and back and also the predetor road pads front and back to suit .

what iv been thinking tho is do i need it ..... i mean i would like to have these as i know atleast iv upgraded from standard and should have better performance out of them but could i say just run standart disks and an uprated pad or the black diamond disks front and back and the standard pads

at 270 all in for the black diamond disks and all the pads im about on the limit as to what i can spend

all argue now

cheers

why not get a set of 288s instead (assuming you havent already) Will work out a lot less with definitely better performance.

Iv just got a set ovfwheels i really like and do t really want to change them and if i put 288s on there the wheel will be to close to the carrier and wont go on , i did think about it but didnt really think an extra 8 mm would do alot of difference or is it the caliper that is different ie is it twin piston or still single just more powerfull , ideally i want to keep them standard for now but just try upgrade the disks and pads

you may be able to shave off a few mm from the caliper, its best doing it by trial and error. They are big chunks of metal so dont worry about weakening it. You're right, its the pad area that makes the difference plus the piston is a larger diameter. In practise that means that you ahve to press the pedal further but the braking effect is really superior.

I asked my self the same question mate and ended up going 288mm drilled and grooved rotors ( unknown make ) with mintex pads up front and mkIV calipers with standard discs and pads at rear, i can really stand it on its nose now and i actually have a handbrake !

Mine did click slightly when the stuck on balance weights touched the calipers but this soon stopped strangely enough :)

I have a pair of Black Diamond Drilled & grooved discs off mine; not done many miles - with a small lip. feel free to make me an offer if you like.......

Don't forget that drilled or grooved discs will wear down the surface of your brake pads much faster - not good if you swap to expensive sports pads! There's a good reason the stock ones are plain...

Stone

I can see why the 288s are a good swap but being away monday to friday with work means i dont have alot of time to do the car and also the caliper carriers have already been shaved a few mm to accomadate the speedlnes so even bigger ones would be a no no and even still i would want to replace the 288s with new disks and pads

Thanks for the offer on the disks but im only going to buy the disks with six grooves as i knew the pad life would diminish if i got the drilled ones But like i say being away all week kinda evens it out in terms of wear ! Depending on the way this thread turns out and what info comes up i may possibly get standard disks and an uprated pads to go with them , im not looking to stop on a dime but just to get a good compromise when renewing the disks and pads as they need doing

your welcome to try your wheels on mine, I'm running 288's. My arches have been pulled slightly but you'd see how the brakes fit with the wheels. I'd definitely recommend going 288's though, its not only about the larger diameter (think of it as 4mm each side), but also the larger surface area. You could probably pick up a very cheap setup from upullit as well.

I can see why the 288s are a good swap but being away monday to friday with work means i dont have alot of time to do the car and also the caliper carriers have already been shaved a few mm to accomadate the speedlnes so even bigger ones would be a no no and even still i would want to replace the 288s with new disks and pads

I've upgraded to 288mm calipers and they fit fine under my speedlines so not sure why you would have had to shave a few mm on the standard 280s.

The 288s look very very close to the wheel under speedlines so maybe a previous owner has already upgraded the calipers?

I picked up 2 sets of 288mm calipers/carriers for £50 each (one was off a mk4 which apparently don't fit) so not overly expensive.

Edited by krishen

I've Black Diamond disks on my standard 280's. Tried them first with EBC Greenstuff pads - crap. Then Ferodo DS2500 pads. Much better now.

But this is only a stop gap until I find a set of 312mm at the right price. 288s are a good compromise. Depends on your driving needs. My disk/pad setup is good enough for UK roads. But not driving at 120mph plus on the Autobahn here in Deutschland. Especially when Belgians pull out into the outside lane without looking or indicating! (pet hate)

I've upgraded to 288mm calipers and they fit fine under my speedlines so not sure why you would have had to shave a few mm on the standard 280s.

The 288s look very very close to the wheel under speedlines so maybe a previous owner has already upgraded the calipers?

I picked up 2 sets of 288mm calipers/carriers for £50 each (one was off a mk4 which apparently don't fit) so not overly expensive.

Sorry shud have made myselfe more clear , they are non standard speedlines origionally of a subaru so they are now 16" wheels but its the back of the wheel that is different in design so that why i had to shave it abit , im also running a 5 mm spacer aswell

Cheers dave i might take you up on that but im sure they wont fit will have to try it one time ! Did u go to the meet the other nite ?

Im really undecided now as to what to do with them now as they dont get abused enough to spend a fortune on ! 288s will maybe fit and im not sure weather to go with standard disks and just uprated pads

Cheers fellas

Yea thats fine mate, the car is in woodmansey tucked up nice and warm in a lockup so feel free to try them. Nah spent the night fitting a sunroof seal, what an absolute friggin nightmare that is!

I'd seriously advise uprating to 288's, I noticed a big difference and I'm using green stuff on standard discs. I need to head up to upullit fairly soon so could grab you a set if you wanted?

Krishen - I do believe the mk4 brakes will fit but you need to use mk3 discs.

Haha iv done a sunroof seal did you fit it dry or did you lube it up ? Bet ur fingers hurt after

Ill let you know wen it co

Es to trying out the 288s but as for everything else im gonna order it online and i dont want to use green stuff pads iv had them in the past and didnt really like them

Cheers dave

Krishen - I do believe the mk4 brakes will fit but you need to use mk3 discs.

Ah nice one. Will get them on the classifieds soon.

Cheers