krishen

My very very lucky escape

Sunday night (about 9.30ish) i was on my way to London driving a mk2 Golf. Around Jnct 12 on the M40, in the slow lane doing circa 70mph and i see a fox walking across the lane. Started slowing down, the fox turns around to go back (towards the hard shoulder) and then stops and just stares as i come bearing down. I can't remember exactly what i did (brake and swerve or just brake) but next thing i know is the car is out of control and i hit the central reservation barrier and come to a stop almost horizintal in the fast lane. A bit confused i look up to see a car bearing down on me. It must not have seen me till the last second when it swerved out the way. A few seconds later another set of headlights are coming at me. I try to get out but my foot is stuck and when i look up the car hasn't seen me till the last second when it tries to swerve out the way but hits the front passenger corner of the car.

This sends me a bit further down the road still in the fast lane. At this point i manage to get out and jump between the central reservation barriers (separating the 2 motorways). About 15-20 seconds later a BMW 6 series ploughs straight into the golf. Other cars now see the collision and slow down,stopping the traffic.

I was obviously very shaken up and in shock. Some of the people that pulled over to help were amazing. Sitting me down in their cars to keep me warm, calm me down (probably not on here but thank you so much).

Motorway was closed for a few hours while they cleared away the carnage.

Thankfully no one was hurt (part from a sore neck).

Absolutely terrifying ordeal, especially when i realised the cars couldn't see me sitting in the fast lane. To say i got a lucky escape is probably the understatement of the year.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0984.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0982.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0981.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0979.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0978.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/krish0121/?action=view&current=IMG_0974.jpg

Jesus H Christ that sounds horrific, Cant believe the state of your Mark 2 thank god you made the decision to get out of it, if you hadnt I doubt you would have lived to tell the tale. Glad your ok mate.

Lesson learned for next time then, hit the sodding fox

I know this but when it actually came to it didn't put it to practise. Can only put it down to natural instinct to avoid obstacles in your way.

Wow what a mess, and what a lucky escape!! Could you pm me your lotto numbers if you play it?!

Holy crap, not a lot left of the golf! Glad you're not too badly hurt though, and a very good job you got out before the beamer hit.

Lesson learned for next time then, hit the sodding fox

Glad you are okay. In all seriousness, this is a very fair comment, but so hard to do. I know I've been 'jumped on' by animals, and always start to swerve then stop. I'm getting better, it might one day save my life. The story I was told was similar to this - someone put an RS2 into a ditch for a rabbit. They swerved, touched the verge, spun and landed in a ditch. Ever since, I try to always remember that.

Not sure about cows and deer tho. I don't want to think about that :(

Mate, that is amazing you got out of that one! I think you got someone watching over you! As mentioned well done for getting out before something big like the 6 series tank came along. No doubt that did most of the damage.

It is hard intentionally hitting an animal. I remember hitting a ringtail monkey when I lived in Barbados, the second I got back the dogs were all over the front bumper! I guess they could smell the impact or something. Shook me up for an hour or so. Never hit an animal before.

Cows and Deer would go up and over the bonnet and through the glass. My uncle had that happen to him :-(

Dead fox on the A236 between Purley and Purley Way, been there for a good couple of weeks - I still go to swerve out of the way everytime I see it even though the damn thing's dead! Your head tells you one thing and your hands do the other...

What's especially worrying is how 3 cars some how managed to not see you spin across a motorway. Granted everything moves fast and it would have been dark, but still for the speeds they were probably traveling maybe they ought to be taking alittle more notice of what's going on ahead and around them. I've got a toddler in the back of my car alot of the time, it doesn't bare thinking how I would have dealt with being sat in the fast lane watching that tank come barreling towards us.

Well done reacting like you did pal, glad your ok, that's one hell of a good story.

Someone was certainly looking over you. Glad to hear you are ok and was quick thinking enough to get out of the car. Also glad others were around to care for you. Traumatic experience. That is just one junction away from me - did not hear about it .

Make sure you get your neck looked at.

I also cannot believe that so many do not look further ahead then the nose of their car, perhaps we should have as part of the test - simulators showing braking distances and the advantages of looking way ahead. Actually if I set the driving test, there would only be a few of us left driving on the road - sounds good to me !!.

What's especially worrying is how 3 cars some how managed to not see you spin across a motorway. Granted everything moves fast and it would have been dark, but still for the speeds they were probably traveling maybe they ought to be taking alittle more notice of what's going on ahead and around them. I've got a toddler in the back of my car alot of the time, it doesn't bare thinking how I would have dealt with being sat in the fast lane watching that tank come barreling towards us.

Well done reacting like you did pal, glad your ok, that's one hell of a good story.

Assuming it was dark, and the roads were not lit, it's a dark coloured car - and if the car is horizontal across the carriageway then they wouldn't have seen the head / taillights I guess.

Glad you got out of that one OK - looks like a total horror show. I hope the drivers of the other vehicles were OK too. I know the consensus is always to just hit small animals for exactly this reason, but as you say, when something just bolts out in front of you unexpectedly it's a very natural reaction to try and avoid it!

Glad to hear you're OK. Sounds like something from those police chase things on the telly, only you were the star!

First I've looked on pictures then read the thread. WOW, amazing nothing happened to you, glad you and others are ok.

Lucky you walked away and no one else was seriously injured. Always amuses me in these situations where terrible fortune ends in a very lucky escape, people say buy a lottery ticket.......in my mind you just used up your good luck staying alive.

Holy ****!

The golfs a right mess, it looks like its been turnover by a tank.. You made the right choice to get out though, I don't know if I would have done the same in that situation.