tentonhammer

MOMO or OEM Steering Wheels

Trying to decide whether to ditch the MOMO for an OEM VR6 leather steering wheel.

Although I love the feel of the leather MOMO (Race) I'm having trouble finding a good quality VW horn button for it. Do they even exist?

At the moment I'm forced to use a Porsche horn button, but considering my car's completely debadged I would like to at least see a VW badge on the steering wheel somewhere.

Can probably pick up an OEM type leather wheel for the same price as a replacement horn button, hence my dilemma...

Ten Ton

I'm a big fan of the OEM one - suits the leather interior well IMO. I've had a couple of different aftermarket ones fitted but I'm a bit biased as I could never get the horn ring to make a good connection to the boss. OEM one bolted straight on with no drama :)

I second the OEM steering wheel, as said it suits the car, no fuss, fits perfectly.

Then I'm not really a fan of aftermarket steering wheels.

A horn button would be easier to fit (if I could find one!)

However, I'm definately leaning more towards an OEM wheel, I want to smarten the car up. Are they easy to fit?

I've been through a few wheels including a momo that came with the car. It was immensely comfortable but for overall look and still a lot of comfort I went back to a refurbished oem wheel and far prefer it.

That's the problem - The MOMO Race is VERY VERY comfortable, but I do find myself looking at it thinking it could look smarter. Mine also came with the car.

Edited by tentonhammer

There are only a couple of Momo wheels that I think suit the Rado and I have one of them fitted. I do like the OEM wheel but just wanted something a little different.

Are they easy to fit?

Very. First, centralise the steering! You can put a chalk mark on the wheel mount to make it easier. Also make sure the indicator stalk is in the central position or the cancel might not work properly.

Optionally, undo the six bolts holding your OEM wheel to the boss (gives you a bit more clearance, but without a horn button you can probably get at the central nut anyway). Then get a 24mm socket on a short extension bar onto the central nut, steady the wheel/boss with one hand and undo it with the other. You may need to pass a breaker bar through the boss so you have something to brace against, they're usually on pretty tight. Then, unclip the horn plate from the OEM steering wheel by jamming your fingers under the corners and pulling gently - there are four spring-loaded posts that you need to release. Pop the front-less wheel onto the column, put the bolt back on and tighten it up, then pop the front plate back on :) If you're a couple of splines out then the wheel will just sit slightly askew - easy enough to get it aligned but you might need a couple of goes at it. That's it!

Stone

I prefer the Momo wheel I bought years ago. Don't have anything against the original steeringwheel, but I find the Momo much nicer made.

Cheers,

Redfox.

The BBS wheels are nice, I picked this one up silly cheap of Ebay.de then got it retrimmed

i have had my MOMO club 4 for about three months and i love it, i still think its very OEM

momoclub4.jpg

karl

Like this alot , see what you mean bout oem karl . My vote still goes to oem though ,had a momo on mine when i bought her , but soon got rid for original .

The only downside to after market wheels is that they lack depth, they're pretty flat when looking from the side or rear but I can live with that.

Do the Bbs steering wheels actually feel nice though? They look great but also look like they have a thin grip.

I personally love the feel of the standard leather wheel but wish it were a tiny bit smaller (20-30mm) and looked a bit better! The grip is great though IMO.

I've got the MOMO club 4 in mine and love the look but it is quite thin. might try the original wheel for a bit and see if its any better.

i have had my MOMO club 4 for about three months and i love it, i still think its very OEM

momoclub4.jpg

karl

I've seen a few pics of these in Corrados and really like them as an alternative to OEM. I may try one.

I picked up a momo course wheel dirt cheap after my original wheel fell apart, very customisable, as of this afternoon it looks like this

DSCF1527.jpg

not to everyones taste but no reason it couldnt be done any different as it was sprayed the same colour as my car

I picked up a momo course wheel dirt cheap after my original wheel fell apart, very customisable, as of this afternoon it looks like this

DSCF1527.jpg

not to everyones taste but no reason it couldnt be done any different as it was sprayed the same colour as my car

Not bad, nice individual look. Looks like you could do with a new headlight switch there :thumbleft:

Still undecided about this. Although I must say I am leaning more towards a VR6 OEM at the moment mainly due to ease of fitting.

However, my C's got a fairly hard look to it so I've got my eye on something else for the moment, something more fitting - I just need to confirm it will fit...