Sign in to follow this  
fast x

VR6 temperature?? help!!!

Hi guys i just got my corrado vr6 on the m plate and is very good, the only thing is the temperature, is it ok to be in 110? cos i hear this engines run a bit hot.

also the fan does cut in but the thing is that the temperature nedlle does not got down or up!!! it stays in 110!!! is this at all ok on this engine.

any tips or advise will be most apresiated.

thanks boys keep up the good work!!!

fast x. 8)

It sits at 110 when you're at speed on the motorway or in traffic?

And are you talking about oil temp or water temp?

Mine sits at 90 most of the time, climbing to a max of 100 after extended periods of crawling in traffic.

110 sounds high but not unusual for the VR.

K

thanks for the tips guys, :wink: and yes is the water temperature thats going a bit high!!! also yes it stays in the motor way and on trafic is always on 100 or just a bit higher.

any more sugestion on what can i do will be most apresiated.

Yeah, it's a bit high if it's doing that when you're moving, on the motorway.

Do the fans cut in while you're driving along? What does the oil temp say on the MFA?

also be advised that the water-temp guage aint the most accurate.....mine reads similar values to what your getting but yet when the temp is checked with VAG-COM its quite a bit lower :roll:

If the water temp is regularly going over 100 (and staying there on thr motorway), check fot coolant leaks - especially around the thermostat housing on the rhs of the engine when viewed from the front.

Its normal for the oil temp to hit 108-110 at times ,especially when youre pushing it. I'm on my second car and the last one did this as well. VW say its one of the 'characteristics' of the VR6 and shouldnt lead to a loss in oil pressure and performance provided the oil is good and regularly changed.

Personally I keep an eye on the oil temp especially when driving hard and back off after a while if Ive been keeping the oil too hot - you'll find the temp drops rapidly below 4000rpm.

Now that i joined this forum, im going to have to brush up Farenheit to Celcius conversions.

I dont know about over there, but here we can get low-temp fan-switches and low-temp thermostats. I got both along with a new radiator, samcos and a coolant flush and im running in the 210-230F range (230-240F when hot or romping on it, 210-215F under normal driving). Before hand, I hit 300F a couple times :shock: I highly recommend getting the two switches as it is cheaper than a oil-cooler. Of course this doesnt achieve the same effect, so call it a pacifier until you can afford an oil cooler. Both of the items should run you about 10-15BPS plus shipping.

Another thing that can happen is that our clusters can burn out. This happened to a friend of mine and to my car as well. If I turned the headlights on, the oil temp in the MFA would shoot up to 300F. Turn it off and if came back to 220F. My friend told me to check the plug at the back of the cluster for any scorching, but I procrastinated and now its back to normal. See if that whole headlight thing makes a difference....best to do it while sitting, set the MFA to oil temp then switch on ure headlights and see what happens.

phatvr6 when you say the 1st speed may have gone whats the score with sorting this out... :?:

Hey guys thanks for all the replys and help, im thinking to take the vr6 to ET motors in seven sisters, do any of u guys had taken ur cars to have em service there? are they any good? wot the reputation u have?

also i keep on driving but the tem still in 110, but then it comes down a litle and the fan does cut in, any more solutions?

thanks, fast x. :wink: