Pat_McCrotch

DIY secret switch immobiliser

The original in mine was one of the round bike lock type key switches inside the glove box. The last one thats just been removed was a preclusion immobiliser, and I had to wave the fob across the steering wheel shroud at the bottom. If your DIY'ing it, I'm sure some sort of key switch hidden somewhere, and fitted inline to ignition supply or even fuel pump would be fine. Would be very easy to do if you splice it in behind the ignition switch.

When I leave my C in a dodgy area, I just take out the fuse for the fuel rail, cars not going anywhere without that!

When I leave my C in a dodgy area, I just take out the fuse for the fuel rail, cars not going anywhere without that!

HAHA LOVE IT!

Steering lock should do no?

If you could wire in some switch to bypass the fuel pump relay or something, and hide it under the dash or similar, that'd be pretty awesome. Have often thought about such a thing just for a bit of peace of mind when leaving the Corrado in a rough spot!

when i had my scirocco gtx the service manager at the vw dealership i worked at wired in a toggle switch to cut out the fuel pump he put the switch behind one of the switch blanks on the dash

Be nice if you could wire it up to an extra oe switch such as window heater one, then place it into one of the dash blanks ?

Appreciate it's not hidden but I doubt a potential thief would start hitting all the switches!

Be nice if you could wire it up to an extra oe switch such as window heater one, then place it into one of the dash blanks ?

Appreciate it's not hidden but I doubt a potential thief would start hitting all the switches!

Exactly what I was thinking ;)

I like this idea and having just stripped an old immobilizer I know exactly which wires could be spliced into to cut the power to the coil and the fuel pump....

I made an immobiliser for my Valver using a reed switch and a latching relay (before I fitted a Sigma touch key that I removed from a donor Corrado and retrofitted).

A reed switch only works when you place a magnet in front of it, and the relay was used to transfer electricity as i didn't want high current running through the switch.

I put the key in the ignition and turned it to acc, this sent power to the relay, but it wasn't switched on, once i placed the magnet in front of the reed switch, which was hidden behind the ashtray at the rear of the compartment in the centre console, power went to the relay which turned it on, allowing me to crank the engine. Since i was using a latching relay i only needed to wave the magnet for a brief second to turn the relay on and for it to stay on without the need to keep the magnet in front of the reed switch. As soon as i took the key out of the ignition the relay switched back over to off.

Worked really well and i only needed a small button type magnet.

My friends golf had a toggle switch installed in the glovebox to cut the fuel pump. We didn't know about this...

Took a while to figure out why the car suddenly cut out and wouldn't start again. Something must have knocked it off in the glovebox!

What about just disconnecting the coil lead under the bonnet? Won't start then

I have this on the Autowatch alarm i got fitted. Not sure how its wired in exactly, but when i try starting the car without first pressing the button the car will turn over, but not start. So i think its the fuel thats been isolated.

Definately recommend getting one of this installed as it does add peace of mind, knowing that even with the keys taken the car cannot be started. Though i realise there's other ways to get the car away, like lifting it onto a truck, but its a Corrado not a Ferrari so doubtful people will go to that lengths to take a Corrado.

You could also splice into the key-transponder coil - then if you didn't have the switch in the right position it would behave as if it couldn't read the transponder (starts and cuts out after 2 secs).

I like the idea of using a blank dash switch! Very cunning.

You could also splice into the key-transponder coil - then if you didn't have the switch in the right position it would behave as if it couldn't read the transponder (starts and cuts out after 2 secs).

I like the idea of using a blank dash switch! Very cunning.

I would suggest not because of the low voltage involved in that circuit and a switch's contacts losses.

ive thought of a hidden switch but yet to get around to it. currently i just take the king lead off and take it with me. it's not going anywhere without that haha

The best one I saw was on a friends Turbo quattro. The cigar lighter was a push button starter......and very easy to do.

i was gona do that on my old mk4 golf, the lighter is in the ash tray in the perfect postion, never got round to doing it,

I made an immobiliser for my Valver using a reed switch and a latching relay (before I fitted a Sigma touch key that I removed from a donor Corrado and retrofitted).

A reed switch only works when you place a magnet in front of it, and the relay was used to transfer electricity as i didn't want high current running through the switch.

I put the key in the ignition and turned it to acc, this sent power to the relay, but it wasn't switched on, once i placed the magnet in front of the reed switch, which was hidden behind the ashtray at the rear of the compartment in the centre console, power went to the relay which turned it on, allowing me to crank the engine. Since i was using a latching relay i only needed to wave the magnet for a brief second to turn the relay on and for it to stay on without the need to keep the magnet in front of the reed switch. As soon as i took the key out of the ignition the relay switched back over to off.

Worked really well and i only needed a small button type magnet.

Very clever. I like that!

The only snag with these DIY immobilisers is if someone else has to use / move / work on the car and you forget to tell them about it, it'll be a pain in the rump.

That's why alarms and / or factory fitted immobilisers do the immobilising for you ;)

I'm all for security, I did the OBD2 conversion but had soo many problems getting the immobiliser working I bought an ECU with it removed. 5 months down the line I found out new information relating to VAGCOM and problems with immobiliser and I now have the immobiliser back plus a cat 1 alarm!

I was VERY lucky with my first corrado, the guy that owned the car before me must have had problems with the ignition switch so had wired in a push button start. I went to newcastle on a night out, left it in hotel car park under surveillance to find it in the morning had been broken into. Luckily the scumbag had not realised about the push button start so thankfully I still had a corrado! sadly without an ignition barrel and a hole underneath my passenger side door handle, which I didn't actually find until about 3 months later on.