Jim

Top Gear New Series - 29/01/2012

Top Gear is back on our screens again tonight. I suspect this will turn into the usual "They're crap!" and so forth type thread but just thought those that do want to watch it might like the reminder :)

Thought it was pretty good! I really wish Star in a Reasonably Priced Car would just go away though.. I hate it with a passion!

I thought it was excellent tonight, good car content and genuinely naturally funny. Lets hope it continues. SIARPC really depends on who it is, Slash was tweeting that he might be on it this series.

Thing is SIARPC is so short you can't find out anything really interesting about the person, and Clarkson isn't exactly Parkinson. Still I suppose it gives me the chance to go stick the kettle on :)

Thought it was pretty good all round.

At least it didn't reek of scripted bull****.

Star in a **** car isn't too bad. Doesn't take up too much time and you usually get to see someone vaguely interesting. I think I hate it more when it's someone like Tom Cruise who has no reason for being there other than his PR people/Studio have told him it's what he has to do in order to promote the latest piece of **** movie he has out.

Edit: Hmm I seem to be swearing quite a bit tonight. Maybe I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I thought :grin:

I really enjoyed that one ...... I actually laughed genuinely a few times !!

Aventador is to die for and a shame the Red Noble had to go - it was much nicer than the black one and the break down won't do Noble much good which is shame.

I think that top gear has (hopefully just for the moment) topped out. Tonight was their usually offering but none the less entertaining.

There are peaks and troughs with any tv series and top gear is no different. I do get the feeling that the programme is (and has been for a while) coasting. Maybe the budget has been trimmed back etc.

But it could be worse. Anyone suffered the pain of the US version ?

On a plus note. I noticed a green Morgan three wheeler on the intro tonight. I saw this driving through Birkdale, near the beach on Saturday. Fingers crossed it'll be on again this series.

I thought the "preview" of the series looked very good with some really entertaining stuff coming up for the series. WTF was the deal with them driving Mad Max style with the Jaguar XF and (I think) Ford Focus ST/RS, ramming them into the sides of each other?! Always hate seeing new cars getting wrecked!

I really enjoyed that one ...... I actually laughed genuinely a few times !!

Aventador is to die for and a shame the Red Noble had to go - it was much nicer than the black one and the break down won't do Noble much good which is shame.

The shattered clutch plate on the Noble took me back, my first G60 was 2 years old when this happened!

Less than 40k on the clock. I was shifting up to 4th after a fast getaway and "bang"! I managed to coast home in 4th straight up my driveway.

Really enjoyed it last night. I agree that it the program has been slowly deteriorating in terms of content over the last couple of series, almost like they're simply running out of ideas of things to do. More low-price challenges would be good in my opinion.

It is nice to see supercars being put through their paces or a 'Top Trump' style race between a Eurofighter and a Veyron, but I feel that there's a huge amount of low-budget motorsport that they could get involved in which would be potentially more appealing to the average viewer. For example, I think it would be awesome watching them squeezing in and out of a class 1 Mini grasstracker (standard 998cc), or having a go at racing lawnmowers, or taking part in proper banger racing. Or even going and doing proper muddy off-roading in knackered old Series 2A Land Rovers. Not high speed stuff in a Wildcat/Tomcat, but deep wading and then experiencing the lack of brakes on the way home - all good fun :)

Regarding the Noble, I think they could perhaps have made it clearer that the clutch wasn't a problem with the car, more of an externally sourced component, but they did make a point of saying that Noble made a big effort to get another car to them straight away. They also didn't spend the rest of the program slagging Noble off for having sh*t clutches.

Either way, I enjoyed it, even Will.i.am came across as a decent enough guy which I guess is something the SIARPC aims to achieve.

Looking forward to the next 6 weeks :D

Dam, missed it. Iplayer here i come...

Anyone been to the live shows at NEC? It was a few years ago now but i felt like i'd been robbed of both my time and money. Only good thing was seeing Hammonds and Clarksons landrovers.

I thought the "preview" of the series looked very good with some really entertaining stuff coming up for the series. WTF was the deal with them driving Mad Max style with the Jaguar XF and (I think) Ford Focus ST/RS, ramming them into the sides of each other?! Always hate seeing new cars getting wrecked!

Wondered the same thing... will be interesting to find out what it was about.

I couldn't help noticing how many 'features' they had on the show - 'Supercars in Italy', 'Star in a car' and 'the news', still fairly entertaining though.

To be honest I do generally prefer less little features and one "big" thing like a road trip - I normally find them far more entertaining tbh!

Anyone know when this is repeated? I was watching some older episodes and missed it!

Everyone knows the show is now more about those 3 larking about than cars. They do genuinely get on and play off eachother well and it's growing ever popular.

Consider the alternatives? 5th Gear is a load of utter sheet and all the global copy cat shows are just utterly terrible.

You'll miss it when it's gone :D

I missed it too mate, I couldnt wait for the repeat so ended up using iplayer. I found it quite a good episode, and the special guest was ace (not sure on his car design touches though!)

I do wish they would go back to the "real" events on their road trips though rather than contrived ones. It used to be hilarious when they showed the genuine off the cuff humour, but now its a lot of staged gags. Still look forward to it on a Sunday evening though :)

Jay