Sign in to follow this  
raddo_g60

Strictly with regard to speed VR6 Vs G60...

if you want fuel effciency get a TDi im afraid.

Agreed! My father owns a Golf TDi and always rambles on about how he can go twice around the world on half a tank of diesel (well.. maybe not that far, but certainly a good distance...) He claims to be able to get 60mpg with conservative driving. That seems a little optimistic to me, but there's no doubting it's an efficient little car.

~Matt.

The worst G60 mpg I've seen is 12mpg

I've seen that & worse a couple of times on my way home from work - 4 miles in 3/4 hour !!

If money was no object then I don't think I'd be buying a Corrado, but that's a whole other thread...

If money was no object I'd keep my Corrado, no matter other car i had at the time, maybe one of each like Mike Edwards

I thought the vr6 was more than 50kg heavyer, i thought it was more like 125kg heavyer

I read somwhere that the g60 weighs 1115kg, and the vr6 1240kg

Have a look in the manual, the weight difference between VR and G60 is not as great as you might think.... I'm sure it's something like 1150Kg v 1210Kg

the vr is nice but the noise of the charger acelerating or de-celerating is wicked, which has the best standard or non standard top speed though, i managed to get 153mph :mrgreen: in standard form, from my G60 with 11mpg :(

the vr is nice but the noise of the charger acelerating or de-celerating is wicked,

Agreed. A truly demonic growl. Very distinctive :lol:

which has the best standard or non standard top speed though, i managed to get 153mph :mrgreen: in standard form, from my G60 with 11mpg :(

Yeah OK mate :? 153 'indicated' perhaps.

OK.....Official data from the bible:-

Weights:-

G60 - 1155Kg

VR6 - 1210Kg

0 - 60:-

G60 - 8.5 with Cat, 8.3 without

VR6 - 6.9

VMax:-

G60 - 139

VR6 - 146

K

Could I just point out that the G60 0-60 time is affected by the fact that 3rd gear is required for 60mph whereas the VR will hit 60 in second. This is a gear ratio/rev limiter situation & not a large difference in power.

Could I just point out that the G60 0-60 time is affected by the fact that 3rd gear is required for 60mph whereas the VR will hit 60 in second. This is a gear ratio/rev limiter situation & not a large difference in power.

You certainly may and duly noted :lol:

Info supplied purely from a neutral and impartial perspective, otherwise the VR figures would have been type in bold :-P

K

My 0-60 time would be about a minute - if I floor the throttle in 1st, the front wheels just spin & spin... :lol:

No wonder my front tyres are fcuked. :(

My 0-60 time would be about a minute - if I floor the throttle in 1st, the front wheels just spin & spin... :lol:

No wonder my front tyres are fcuked. :(

An excercise in restraint for you then Mr Mac :lol:

didnt VR6's come with slightly nicer trim level and leather etc?

Nope - not all of them. Some G60's have leather interior & some VR's have fabric, althought all the VR's had the later interior.

Some of the late G60's came with the VR bodyshell too (like mine) - Later style bonnet & wider front wings, etc.

I'm sure I have seen a VR with an older type interior - sliding heater controls etc - or is that still newer than the G60 interior?

I'm sure I have seen a VR with an older type interior - sliding heater controls etc - or is that still newer than the G60 interior?

yip very early VR's had the early interior along with some early 2.0 16v's....... :wink:

Hmmmn,

230 MAX, I disagree, my G60 was rolling roaded at nearly 246 BHP and that was before the boost return mod was fitted. Also have still to get it remapped so should be good for more BHP (amongst a few other bits and pieces...,). Shrick manifold, remap and cams, hmmmn, well still reckon my G60 would be quicker than that but cannot testify to that guv'nor...,

Nice,

BigEastsideVWG60

Hmmmn,

230 MAX, I disagree, my G60 was rolling roaded at nearly 246 BHP and that was before the boost return mod was fitted. Also have still to get it remapped so should be good for more BHP (amongst a few other bits and pieces...,). Shrick manifold, remap and cams, hmmmn, well still reckon my G60 would be quicker than that but cannot testify to that guv'nor...,

Nice,

BigEastsideVWG60

I should have said 230 MAX without using a cotton reel sized pulley, stage 8 charger, X flow head, blahdey blah....

246 is mighty impressive from an 1800.....would love to see how you got that much out of it and the dyno plots to go with it.

K

JD engineering has a 8v G60 running over 300 bhp

Sandy

Yes but only because of the Eurospec Big Port (50mm) and Valve head, Wild cams, VW motorsport charger, tiny pulley, toothed pulley/belts and lots of other bespoke stuff......oh and sequential gearbox :lol:

As I was saying, 230bhp is the most you can expect to see *realistically* using stock internals and head.

I'm getting 217bhp from my g60 with a 70mm pulley maybe with a 68mm pulley, better intercooler, toothed belt, aquamist I would be aiming for more than 230 bhp easy.

Sandy G60

I'm getting 217bhp from my g60 with a 70mm pulley maybe with a 68mm pulley, better intercooler, toothed belt, aquamist I would be aiming for more than 230 bhp easy.

Sandy G60

Show me some plots when it's done and I'll believe you.

Why don't you attach the output from a Dyson to the inlet system? Really good filtration, and good psi too...

I'm sure you can get 230bhp out of a G60. Just like everyone else is. But if you're squeezing much more than that out of it it's not exactly going to run for 100k miles without requiring major internal overhauls, is it?

The TT 1.8T with 225bhp has the crank and pistons of an aircraft carrier to produce that much torque and make the engine viable for 100k + miles.

I'm willing to give it a try wots the worst that can happen engine blows just get another.

Sandy

Stock for stock, as people have mentioned, the VR6 is quicker that the G60. Also I believe the G60 suspension was stiffer than the VR6 giving it better handling in theory. And yeah, that small weight difference doesnt make as much difference as some make it out to be.

As far as tuning goes, the VR6 win Naturally Aspirated form starts to approach its limits at 225whp ~ 265bhp. This is going with a 3.1L bore or even a 3.2L stroker kit, appropriate cams, chip, manifold, etc,etc. This is strictly what I have been told, but given the numbers of certain mods, it seems to be about right.

The G60, in 1.8L G-Charger form starts to reach its max at around 235flywheel HP. This includes stage 4 charger, port/polish head, TB, etc, etc. Over here, the 2 highest output 1.8L G60s I know of 225flywhee HP/230 flywheel TQ with the G-charger and then another Lysholm charger one with similar hp numbers but 244flywheel TQ. I can get dyno charts of both of these cars if someone wants proof.

One benefit the G60s have over the VR6, if you want to look at it that way, is thier low-end torque. With either of those built G60s, spinning tires first through second is easy. In city driving, one could argue that the G60 is "better" and then at the same time one could argue that the VR6 is "better". It comes down to preference. One thing that I feel is definitely needed on a G60, especially a built one, is VR6 gearing. 20mph in first doesnt cut it for me, neither does needing to shift into 3rd to hit 60mph. A worked G60 with VR6 gearing would be a very stong, fast, quick car.