stevef182

If not a corrado..then what??

im in this sort of predicament at the moment, I have an expensive rado sat in a rented garage costing me money on rent, tax, mot etc even before its used. I'm running a cheap polo as a daily.

my plan is to sell both and buy an >£6k car i can leave out on the road.

Im looking at loads of options and cant get my head around what i want:

S4/S6 avant

330/530 tourer

or

Passat/a4/a6 tdi avant

plus:

Tidy VR6

s2k

350z

skyline

sylvia

S3

And so on!

Thats a good list. i'm swaying towards s3/s4 or the bmw route, but my mind changes almost by the hour!

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Somedays its deff going and others I can't part with it! Grrr!

I feel your pain!

only thing putting me of s3/4 is i had an a3 1.8t quattro and i spend nearly a grand sorting out a rough idle and suspension knock.

there are so many things that will be worn on a car of my budget its really offputting to know how much it could need spending on it. sure, its the same for any car, but prices are insane.

1.8t sorry but hate that engine, no soul but lots of go if done right, but an s4 v6 twin turbo is a great engine just strap some KO4 turbos on and re-map will see you very happy.

1.8t sorry but hate that engine, no soul but lots of go if done right, but an s4 v6 twin turbo is a great engine just strap some KO4 turbos on and re-map will see you very happy.

Drove an S3 last night, re-mapped to 280bhp, well looked after, but it did nothing for me. I got back in the rado and really questioned if I can actually bring myself to sell it. I do love my Corrado!!

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

only thing putting me of s3/4 is i had an a3 1.8t quattro and i spend nearly a grand sorting out a rough idle and suspension knock.

there are so many things that will be worn on a car of my budget its really offputting to know how much it could need spending on it. sure, its the same for any car, but prices are insane.

You make a good point, I think its easy to presume that a newer more modern car will be less trobulesome and cost less to maintain, but in reality probably not the case.

Before finally deciding on the Corrado I was looking at A4 Avants, Passat Estates and Alfa 156 Sportwagons. The A4 s and Passats were high output TDIs, but the AR156 had to be a 2.5V6. Great fun to drive, great sounding engine - no ICE required - and with £5 to spend you could even have a daily to drive when the AR156 was in the garage - ha ha. Manual of course. I didn't fancy the GTAs because of the body kit.

If £5k was the budget, it would have to be a diesel Alfa (probably a 156 2.4 20v or 1.9 GT), or maybe a VW T5, though T5's will be expensive at some point I guarantee you (I know - one brand new 2.5 tdi engine just gone in). So having spent a fortune on the T5 and the 159, what is the most reliable? Neither! The Corrado VR is having spent next to nothing on it all year and it being there when everthing else was broken (159 was bought to replace a 156 with a blown engine (2.4 JTD - very unusual as they are normally bullet proof), and the T5 was off road for 6 months.

So having used the Corrado as a daily for 6 months, no problem at all really, I don't have kids so no rear doors needed. I am now alternating between the T5 and Corrado as both do about 30mpg.

Drove an S3 last night, re-mapped to 280bhp, well looked after, but it did nothing for me. I got back in the rado and really questioned if I can actually bring myself to sell it. I do love my Corrado!!

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

You make a good point, I think its easy to presume that a newer more modern car will be less trobulesome and cost less to maintain, but in reality probably not the case.

have a go in a 540i sport then, you may look at the corrado in a different light then.

have a go in a 540i sport then, you may look at the corrado in a different light then.

Thanks, duly noted - as it stands I am keeping the Rado, cant bring myself to part with it yet I dont think. A 540i may well be an option for the future.

For as little as 5000 I would look into an Alfa GTV (nineties model), low, smart, well driving, nice car.

But seriously I would save up some more, and get a 944 or a 911 or an elise or the opel equivalent.

Top of list would be an Esprit turbo s3 1986 or 1987.

I should mention, that I use my bicycle daily ;) No need for a car at all.

Cheers,

Redfox.

I've never spent £5k on a car. A tenth of that is my more usual budget. The Corrado's quite a modern car to me so I don't have concerns about modern car levels of comfort, luxuries, reliability etc. So..

First choice: A clean BMW E28 M535i. Always wanted an E28. I'll probably end up with a beige 518 one day.

And if I fancied alot of walking it'd be a Maserati 430 Biturbo, oh yes.

Edited by Ralphead

Those T4 and 5 are not cars. They are road legal versions of that Enterprise starship from startrek ;)

Cheers,

Redfox

Those T4 and 5 are not cars. They are road legal versions of that Enterprise starship from startrek ;)

Cheers,

Redfox

Exactly 8)

I've actually spent the last 6 months or so debating selling up and buying something different, I think I've lost the love a bit for it since I never drive it much these days with using a company van all day that I take home. Price range was around the 5-6k mark!! Here's my shortlist of what I was looking at:

Newer:

TT

Leon Cupra

MK4

Same era or older:

TVR Chimaera

Mk1 Golf or Caddy

Merc 190e

Rover SD1

Reliant Scimitar

Mk2 Rocco

Mk2 Fiesta

Probably a couple more but can't think!! I've decided within the last few days that instead I'm gonna spend some cash on my 'rado and keep the old boy. Simply because I know I'll regret it if I sell it, when I do actually drive it I remember why I love it so much, and I don't think there's ever been a time when I've walked past it/parked up in the van/got out of the 'rado itself that I haven't turned back and admired it!!

I've decided within the last few days that instead I'm gonna spend some cash on my 'rado and keep the old boy. Simply because I know I'll regret it if I sell it, when I do actually drive it I remember why I love it so much, and I don't think there's ever been a time when I've walked past it/parked up in the van/got out of the 'rado itself that I haven't turned back and admired it!!

My thoughts exactly!! (apart from I dont have a van!)

The problem with selling nowadays is that it will be increasingly hard to find a good example if you want to return to ownership again. You'll always find someone selling but I think that good examples will be increasingly hard to find.

The problem with selling nowadays is that it will be increasingly hard to find a good example if you want to return to ownership again. You'll always find someone selling but I think that good examples will be increasingly hard to find.

I agree, and sometimes better the devil you know too.

Well here's our replacement for the rado, completely different kettle of fish and a lot less inspiring, but a lovely solid drive and has all the kit that's become more and more necessary over the last few years work wise, so hopefully it'll fill the boots and some :)

IMG_5269.jpg

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg

Needs a remap and some different wheels though! :lol:

My ex picked up a Lexus IS200 for under 5k and that was one of the nicest cars i've driven! I'd have to get a cheap mk2 golf to play about with though!